Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:07 PM

948 posts, read 3,355,799 times

Advertisements

Now that winter's here I can't stand doing cardio in the gym. In the spring/summer/fall I skate or bike or do uphill walks with loads of treacherous stairs. (There's too much ice on the ground to get any wheels out for now) Today at the gym it was all I could do to not get off the elliptical after 20 minutes. I am finding it harder and harder each day to not let the boredom take over and quit early.

Any suggestions to get me though the winter? Anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 04:38 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,942,608 times
Take a spinning class! Not only is it challenging which helps fight that boredom, it is great exercise and more often than not you meet a lot of new people as classes usually have about the same people. Granted, January and February have a lot of the New Years Resolution peeps but most that aren't committed to fitness will leave by March and all the good people will still be around. I can't stand the elliptical either so I feel your pain. I just stick to swimming, spinning, the treadmill and pilates.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:01 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
I hate it too. It inspired me to bike year-round, well partially anyway. Is that a possibility, start wearing some ski-type underlayers and get out there?

Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Can you hike in the snow? Snowshoe?

Old 01-14-2011, 07:19 PM

326 posts, read 813,620 times
just wear more clothes

Old 01-14-2011, 07:51 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Now that winter's here I can't stand doing cardio in the gym. In the spring/summer/fall I skate or bike or do uphill walks with loads of treacherous stairs. (There's too much ice on the ground to get any wheels out for now) Today at the gym it was all I could do to not get off the elliptical after 20 minutes. I am finding it harder and harder each day to not let the boredom take over and quit early.

MUSIC!! I always have my mp3 player loaded up with good workout tunes. Makes the time fly by.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:49 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post

Have you tried using the rower? Most gyms have rowing machines that people hardly ever use but they are actually MUCH better pieces of cardio equipment than ellipticals or treadmills. Try that instead and you'll be like "WOW!!!".

Mix it up if youre bored.

Monday - Treadmill
Tuesday - Elliptical
Wednesday - Rower
Thursday - Bike or spinning class
Friday - Jump rope. Most gyms have ropes available. Just jump for 30 minutes.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:57 AM

Default hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Have you tried using the rower? Most gyms have rowing machines that people hardly ever use but they are actually MUCH better pieces of cardio equipment than ellipticals or treadmills. Try that instead and you'll be like "WOW!!!".

Mix it up if youre bored.

Monday - Treadmill
Tuesday - Elliptical
Wednesday - Rower
Thursday - Bike or spinning class
Friday - Jump rope. Most gyms have ropes available. Just jump for 30 minutes.
The treadmill is a bit of a yawner, but I actually have used it a few times to "spice" up my workout. I've done the rowing machine a lot but not lately, they're all in use so maybe others are onto your idea? I like the jumprope idea--will get back to it. I haven't tried a spinning class--I am open and will try it. Thanks

Old 01-15-2011, 08:58 AM

Default Ipod in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
MUSIC!! I always have my mp3 player loaded up with good workout tunes. Makes the time fly by.
There's been days where I've ran out of the house too fast without the music and the workout is so hard without my ipod. But, yes, I have added a ton of music lately--since the snow

Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,219,774 times
Take some classes? Mix it up with P90X or Insanity? Do you ski? Maybe find an indoor pool and do some swimming? Take some dance classes?

Hope you find something that makes the time go quicker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness