Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 02:00 PM

23 posts, read 152,421 times

Advertisements

So, I have been reading about the "Fat Burning Heart Rate Zone" - at ~65%-70% of Max Heart rate is where the highest percentage of calories burned are fats (85%).

My question is: Where do the other 15% of calories burned come from - protein or carbohydrates? Also, is it best to do a fat burning workout on an empty stomach?

I want to burn fat (right now at 20% body fat) but do not want to give up any muscle I've put on over the past 6 months. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:58 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,586 times
Well basicly what most more recent studdies show is that
a) muscles are not burned to as high degree outside the "target HR" as previously thought and
b) HIIT is more efficient for burning fat, look it up on wikipedia, might be something for you.

The other 15~% mostly come from carbs.

What is critical is that you continue lifting heavy. This will stimulate your body to keep the muscle.

One thing to count on is that when/if you go below 15%BF things start getting tough.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:02 PM

964 posts, read 3,160,080 times
OP, I wouldn't advise it. Running on an empty stomach would be pretty bad idea. Best to eat a little something for energy.

Except 1. Lifting weights and doing hiit is counterproductive. People say do it, but saying it is easy. Doing it is NOT. I guarantee you will not be able to lift weights and do hiit without stressing the body even more. hiit will require those days to recover so yeah, lay off the weights if you're trying to lose fat. Worry about muscle later.

And 2. You'll burn calories doing hiit, yes, but the best effect occurs AFTER a HIIT session which can last up to 24 hours. So you'll burn more fat on hiit than regular running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness