Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:31 AM

128 posts, read 272,083 times

Advertisements

What food are good for me to have while I'm training? my couch has been working me prudy hard!!!!! i really want to drop a weight class but the next one down is a 20 pounds lighter.. how can acomplish this??? i used to be that small, till i gave up after some personal issues.. but now im better, and i only have one problem, i never have tried to loose weight before.. do suplements work? what kinds are good? mainly its in my thighs and stomich...

my max

bench:140

clean and jerk- have no clue... just learning

squats: 210

any idea? any advise.. all is welcome.. please! and thank you!

Last edited by JSOM; 07-27-2007 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 11:16 AM

any one know how i can acomplish this goal!!!??!?
i think mainly once i got my car i also put a few on, if i just walked like a mile away from my house, then i would have to walk a mile back which = 2 miles, will this help???

Old 07-27-2007, 11:20 AM

THEN AGAIN, someone told me walking will have no effect at all, if i wanna loose my thighs i have to run, but im sooo sore from wieghtlifting... i dont think i can run, besides, i can only run for like 15 min. then im dead.

i just need help!!!! i got alot of questions.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:38 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Yeah, obviously you will be sore if you have just started to run. If you can only run for 15 minutes right now, make a schedule. Run 5 days a week, and vary it a little. An example is:

Monday: 10 min
Tuesday: 15 min
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: 15 min
Friday: 10 min
Saturday: 15 min
Sunday: Off

That is my personal favorite weekly rhythm for running. If you do that, you never have a long day twice in a row, so you reduce the risk of injury. Increase your time by 10% a week.

You SHOULD be dead at the end of your longer days. If your workout is easy, you won't get in shape nearly as fast. Give it about 3 weeks following a schedule like this, and you will realize you can actually enjoy running.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:43 AM

should i run before or after weightlifting????

sounds pretty ok schedual to me... i think i can do it i just really want to loose some from my thighs and stomich plus couch says it will give me more room to grow for training...

does anyone know what i should be eating diet wise.. i know i need protien, but what else, can i eat cheese? what about fruits? what kind of meat is best?

Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSOM View Post
What foods are good for me to have while I'm training? I really want to drop a weight class but the next one down is a 20 pounds lighter.. how can acomplish this??? I never have tried to loose weight before.. do suplements work? what kinds are good? mainly its in my thighs and stomach...
I won't claim to be an expert - but as an information junkie and former frequent exerciser (now I basically just jog and do weights occasionally), I know a bit.

You basically want to search online for what wrestlers do to make their weight. Typically you can lose a lot of water weight with the use of a sauna and plastic wraps. This is temporary though - something to be done right before weigh-in. To lose weight more permanently you need to do two things #1 - lots of and lots of cardio to get your metabolism up without putting on a lot of muscle (muscle is heavy - you will want to continue weight training - but focus on more reps rather than fewer). and #2 - you need to literally cut your intake of food - significantly. You need to focus on foods such as chicken and eggs and cut out anything which will put fat onto you (that is heavy) but keep up your level of protein and have just enough carbs so you can rebuild your muscles after breaking them down running. Stay away from all breads and anything with corn-syrup in it as well. Also stay away from anything fried. All the while keep your intake of fresh foods high - they certainly cannot hurt you. You'd be surprised how little food you can live off of in general - and you will want to take vitamin supplements to ensure you don't develop deficiencies. there are good diet and meal plans available everywhere - may I suggest you try to find one so you don't make haphazard decisions?

Information like what I've suggested is all over the Internet - do some investigative work and you'll find it. 20 lbs is a lot, but I have indeed seen dedicated males do it successfully to get into lower weight classes for wrestling.

Lastly - regarding taking up running - your heart and lungs will adapt quickly if you keep with it. I saw a difference in endurance literally 1 week after starting and now I can run about 10 times further than I ever could when I thought I was in fine shape. Get some good running shoes, and run outside - and try to find a buddy to take it up with you so you can keep each other motivated.

Good luck :-)

Old 07-27-2007, 12:08 PM

still, what kind of carbs??? spegetti? i want to loose 20 pounds permanatly.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:42 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
I am not that experienced with weightlifting, but I do know how to do cardio. I have trained for a half-marathon, am working towards a triathlon now, and I frequently go backpacking (15+ miles a day carrying a 25 lb backpack). If I were you, I would lift after running (this might just be because I like running more though). Definitely get good shoes - foot injuries are not fun.

Personally, I eat a ton of carbs. I would say at least 70% of my diet is carbs. Whole grains are good, stay away from processed food (white bread, any processed flour). Potatoes, rice, and whole grains are the way to go. I then do about 10% protein and the rest fruits and veggies.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:11 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
Looking at your weight and height on your personnal profile, you aren't carrying a lot of fat. If you drop 20 pounds, you are going to be losing muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. So as you put on muscle, you have to lose even more weight. You don't have it to spare. Working out will convert most of an extra fat you have to muscle. That's what you want to do. Just losing weight isn't a great idea.

Be content in the weight level that you now have. And as you get better with your lifts, you will see whats best for you. I suspect that you will find that you will do best in the weight range you are in now.

My husband lifts in Masters competitions. He's got gold medals coming out the wazoo. He long ago decided that his best weight for lifting was the one where he felt the best. That mean a good well balanced diet.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:32 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,126,024 times
what does your coach have to say with regards to your diet is he a football coach,swimming ???
I use to train at gyms with bodybuilders they would always say "high weight low reps to build" "low weight high reps to tone"
if you drop 20#s very fast you will lose muscle mass.
another thing to keep in mind is how old are you? It is harder to lose the older you are.
I am now using a combo of high cardio and weights to lose and tone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness