Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:49 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post
for the squats, I did them this morning and could not keep up. It is harder than it looks actually. I only managed to do about 5 squats per round. I felt my knee caps were about to pop off, lol.

I read all of your replies this morning but had no time to respond since I was at work. For breakfast I ate scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and french toast. I know this isn't healthy but it feels me up until about 3 pm when I start to come home without me feeling hungry throughout the day.I have tried those healthy cereals like Raisin Bran and Special K and always have ended up hungry during the day. Plus they do not taste good. I have also tried SlimFast but still ended up hungry again at about 11 or 12 pm.

I did my treadmill routine when i got home and ate since I was starting to feel hungry. I prepared chicken legs (w/ seasonings that MAY not be considered healthy) mashed potatoes & gravy and mac n cheese. For a drink I had several diet sodas. Later on today, I will eat the leftovers.

I will see what tomorrow brings for me,I really hope that I will get better at doing those squats every morning.
I'm so glad to see what you're eating. I'm glad, because what you've described is what, in the Real Estate world, is known as a Valuable Defect: a quick fix that will yield big profits. Honey, this is going to be so easy!

As I suspected, your diet is calorie-dense/nutrient-sparse. And you are not getting enough Phytochemicals from plants. Contrary to many people's notions of diet, it's not just about fats, sugars, protien, carbs, and calories. Just as important...maybe more important...are the vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals in foods. Those latter things are what keep our bodies regulated...what helps our bodies regulate our weight (among many other things).

But rather than spout more theory, I'm going to write out a list of your minimum plant foods intake, for each day (Obviously, if you have allergies to any of these, you need to substitute). My Decorator did this for a mutual friend, and it helped. So, Girlfriend, here goes:

.An Apple (Organic, if possible, since you need to eat the peel, too)
.A Carrot (again, with the peel still on)
.A handful of raw Almonds (you need the oils, and the anti-inflammatory effect)
.The juice of one Lemon (bonus points, if you grind & eat the peel, too)
.A Grapefruit
.A stick of Celery (the Selenium is a mood-booster, and Celery is anti-inflammatory)
.Two cups of a Crucifer (Broccoli, Cabbage, etc) or a Dark Leafy Green...either raw, or barely-cooked. (spritzed, after cooking, with a cold-pressed oil).
.A Head of Romaine Lettuce (maybe with Lemon Juice, Olive Oil, Fresh-Ground Pepper Blend, Fresh-Ground Coriander, and Salt).

That was the minimum. Every day or two, you also need a Banana (for the Potassium), and (if you're not allergic) an Avocado (beneficial oils). In season, there should be a Watermelon in your fridge at all times. Snack at will. The calories will be more than offset by the nutritional value of the melon. Blueberries are wonderfully nutritious. In-season, I have a box of them, with diced Banana and Unsweetened Soy Milk, for breakfast, every morning. And really, think like an Orangutan out foraging in the Jungle, and go for a little bit of all the edible plants. The Creator hid unique nutritional gifts for us inside each one. It pays to diversify.

And I think you need to take A couple of Kiwis, and Several Tamarillos, to work, as snacks. Just cut them in half, and scoop out the flesh with a teaspoon (I have a Gold-plated Iced Tea Spoon for that, because I like to feel special). Kiwis are loaded with C, and supposedly have B-Vitamins. Tamarillos are nutrient-dense, with a salty taste...like V-8 Juice.

As for breakfast, Try just plain Rolled Oats, sprinkled with Stevia (a natural calorie-free sweetener, extracted from a plant), and dusted with Cinammon, plus maybe Allspice, Nutmeg, any fresh fruit... You're right about those commercial cereals. I suspect there are hidden sugars in them, anyway. And why not have your Almonds at Breakfast? Or the Avocado? Or a can of Tuna? Or the Grapefruit? The breakfast you described is not totally horrible, except for the French Toast (the sugar).

At our house, we make a stockpot full of some grain-based soup, every day. Buckwheat, Amaranth, Barley Flakes, Rye Flakes, Millet...alone or mixed, and coupled with Onion, Garlic, Okra, Beans, Tomatoes, unpeeled Red Potatoes, lots of spices.... whatever combination happens will be good....very filling, wonderful creamy texture from the dissolving grains (and great Soluble Fiber). We add a bit of oil at the table...never during cooking. We're all very busy, but still it's easy to make. The point is that we consume lots of Whole Grains.

Please promise me you will stay away from diet soda. Artificial sweeteners are counterproductive, according to experts like Russell Blaylock. They may actually make you gain weight by interfering with your body's self-regulation. If you want the bubbles, try Lemon Juice in Seltzer, or a few drops of Vanilla Extract in Seltzer.

Again, I'm glad to see there's so much room for improvement in your diet. That means things are not nearly as hopeless as you thought they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 03:04 AM

29 posts, read 44,272 times
Have your breakfast.. you can skip lunch and dinner if u want. but replace them with sprouted pulses... avoid food rich in calories

Old 01-28-2011, 05:14 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I think HIIT is great, but I've always felt like it was something that needs to be built up to. It's actually pretty difficult for people who don't have at least a foundation of fitness.
If you are overweight enough or just flat out not conditioned, you probably won't be successful enough at HIIT to maximize its intended results. For somebody that is seriously obese, I would personally start that person off on a lighter version of cardio and then build up to HIIT.
I completely disagree with you here.

HIIT is high-intensity interval training. Here's a link to describe:

FPL | Figuring Your Training Heart Rate Zone

ANYONE can do this kind of training. The beginner may not be able to to squats like those on the video, or run that fast in their sprints, or jump rope like a boxer...but they can still get the intensity out of their workout.

Someone with an advanced level of fitness may be able to do squats faster than someone who is a beginner, but they would both be working at high intensity.

The most useful tool you can own for working out is a heart rate monitor. Everyone should have one! It tells you how intense your workout is so you know if you need to put more effort in or back off.

Here's a basic calculator to determine your heart rate intensity levels (you should be at least at AT level for HIIT to be effective)

Runner's Web Heart-Rate Zone Calculator

The best way to determine your zones is with someone trianed to administer the treadmill test. I had this done but be aware that you will have to repeat it every 3 months for accuracy as your maximum will change the fitter you get.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 AM

134 posts, read 127,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Okay, here is the "elephant in the room" moment that for some reason NO ONE commented on. WTH is up with the part in bold?!?!?! Are you joking? So this entire thread is all a big whoop-dee-doo type of a hoax from a troll?!?!?! You talk about wanting to lose weight then say you ate mac and cheese, potatoes and SEVERAL sodas? Did you batter deep fry the chicken too? Heck, even if you steamed the chicken over holy water, its still a horrible horrible dinner for someone who wants to lose weight and get healthy. Several sodas? Really? Several? If this is how you eat, then YES YOU ARE DESTINED TO BE OVERWEIGHT!!! You are destined to have heart disease. You are destined to have diabetes. Seriously, go NOW and get yourself a book on HOW TO EAT HEALTHY!! You are slowly killing yourself with a diet like you posted.

Thing is I haven't had a good real dinner like that in such a long time. MY one meal of day menu consisted of salad with low fat dressing, soup, occasionally baked chicken with no seasoning, and the occasional fast food meal. The fast food meal only happened when I thought I need real good filling food. One cannot live on bread and water alone. The drinks that I had with those meals were either just plain water or water with crystal light in it. Now I don't know how healthy crystal light is for you, but I needed to get over the bland taste of water.

My chicken that I cooked yesterday was cooked in the oven with seasoned salt, pepper, onions, and onion powder. With BBQ sauce to go with it. THe mashed potatoes I cooked myself which included cheese and bacon and the mac n cheese also had ham in it. I felt that I needed a REAL dinner, not just crackers and tomato soup, in which I will usally feel hungry again during the night when I am trying to sleep because I have work and school in the morning.

I am just scared to death that when I get to my goal weight - 105lbs or around there that I will just go back to my old eating habits and gain the weight back again.

Quote:
Dont "see what tomorrow brings", you bring IT to tomorrow. Create and make your own destiny!! Do those tabata squats and be sure to track your scores each day. ITS VITALLY IMPORTANT THAT YOU TRACK YOUR SCORES!!! You want to see that you ARE getting fitter and better and the only way to prove it to yourself is with your scores. Same with the 2 miles you do on the treadmill. Dont worry about incline or anything like that. You just want to do your 2 miles in a faster time than you did the previous day.

And another thing, stop friggin' complaining about all the GOOD advice you get turn your mindset into a postive one. Heck, instead of harping on about "I dont like Raisin Bran", you should think "Well, I dont like Raisin bran, but I will try other whole grain cereals to see what I do like". Do you get what Im saying?
I am trying my best it just that my cravings for food that tastes good always get the best of me. I am sorry to say but those healthy whole grain cereals really suck unless you add sugar or flavored milk to them, which is the only way I will eat them.

I truly envy those who eat truckloads of food and still remain skinny without even exercising. My boyfriend is a good example.

Anywho, I will continue to do the Tabata squats and my 2 miles on the treadmill and I will eat my oatmeal (I think this will be a good substitute to whole grain cereal until I can get into the store and pick out what I like) and have steamed vegetables for dinner this evening.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Thing is I haven't had a good real dinner like that in such a long time. MY one meal of day menu consisted of salad with low fat dressing, soup, occasionally baked chicken with no seasoning, and the occasional fast food meal. The fast food meal only happened when I thought I need real good filling food. One cannot live on bread and water alone. The drinks that I had with those meals were either just plain water or water with crystal light in it. Now I don't know how healthy crystal light is for you, but I needed to get over the bland taste of water.

Fast food is not "real good filling food". Fast food is junk! If you have no other choices get a yogurt parfait or salad from there (without the battered chicken). Crystal light is chemical junk. Artificial sweeteners, artificial colors and artificial flavors. Slice an orange, lemon and lime. Take one wedge of each and add it to your water bottle. Put the other wedges in the fridge for when you need to refill. I don't love plain water but I will drink it by the gallon like that.

My chicken that I cooked yesterday was cooked in the oven with seasoned salt, pepper, onions, and onion powder. With BBQ sauce to go with it. THe mashed potatoes I cooked myself which included cheese and bacon and the mac n cheese also had ham in it. I felt that I needed a REAL dinner, not just crackers and tomato soup, in which I will usally feel hungry again during the night when I am trying to sleep because I have work and school in the morning.

The potatoes would have been okay had you not added cheese and bacon to them. The mac and cheese...well not so much can be done to that to make it worth the calories.

Where was the vegetable in your dinner? Potatoes don't count as a veggie, they are a starch. You need to add a lot more veggies and fruits to your diet.

I'm not sure why you think you need to be so restrictive with your food. Watch your calories and your portion sizes and get knowledgable with herbs and spices.

I am just scared to death that when I get to my goal weight - 105lbs or around there that I will just go back to my old eating habits and gain the weight back again.

Make changes that you can stick with. Again, this goes back to my statement above. You don't have to be so restrictive with your food in order to lose weight. Eating crackers and soup and lettuce everyday is okay, but most people would get bored with that. Go check out the "what are you eating today?" thread in Diet and Weight loss. If you see something that sounds interesting, ask for the recipe!

I am trying my best it just that my cravings for food that tastes good always get the best of me. I am sorry to say but those healthy whole grain cereals really suck unless you add sugar or flavored milk to them, which is the only way I will eat them.

Don't eat cereal. Most cereals are crap anyway. Try oatmeal. My kids LOVE oatmeal because they can get creative. Chop up bananas and add a little bit of coconut to it, puree peaches and swirl those in, dice up some apple and sprinkle with cinnamon, if you really have a hankering for sweets toss in a few chocolate chips.

I truly envy those who eat truckloads of food and still remain skinny without even exercising. My boyfriend is a good example.

I have a friend like this. She can eat whatever she wants and not gain weight. She also NEVER exercises. Some people can live like that and some people can't. I used to envy her...but I honestly LOVE exercise and I love a good sweat. A good workout releases lots of endorphins and I feel awesome. I was all hyped up last night after completing my shoulder/arm workout!

Anywho, I will continue to do the Tabata squats and my 2 miles on the treadmill and I will eat my oatmeal (I think this will be a good substitute to whole grain cereal until I can get into the store and pick out what I like) and have steamed vegetables for dinner this evening.
Try Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) instead of oatmeal if you want to change it up. You cook it like rice and again, get creative with it.
2 cups water, 1 cup quinoa, 1 apple diced and 1-2tsp of cinnamon. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer until the water is absorbed. When it's done stir in some slivered almonds. If you NEED sugar you can sprinkle a little brown sugar on top but taste it first...the apples and cinnamon make it sweet enough for me. It's very filling and holds me till lunch.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times
You keep talking about good filling foods....you can get the same "feeling" from eating foods rich in fiber...let me challenge you to change your eating. I got to be honest with you..I went from eating 4,000+ calories a day down to 1200-1500 calories. That is HARD to do but I replaced the junk I was eating (chicken nuggets, fries, burgers, burritos, fried chicken, etc) with more whole grains and fruits/vegetables.

Let me challenge you to stop making excuses, let's be honest because that's what you're doing (sorry, I don't know any other way to say that)...you keep talking about the taste..you will have to develop a taste for healthier foods. Change your habits...I used to eat 2 McDonald's sausage biscuits, a hashbrown and medium orange juice for breakfast....not anymore...

Let me tell you what my doctor told me...YOU ARE INTENTIONALLY KILLING YOURSELF by making these poor food choices. Trust me, I have been where you currently are. I know how hard it is to see others chowing down on foods like pizza, bacon, burgers, etc.. but girl, you need to pick LIFE over eating trash just because it tastes good. Think about all the people in your life that need you whether these are your children (if you have any), nieces and nephews, parents, grandkids or whatever. Start considering your life as something precious....your body is your temple..do you want to destroy it by putting in junk.....think about it.

When I started my journey, it was not because I wanted to...I had a doctor who cared enough about me to tell me how much of an idiot I really was...he told me I was a hot azz mess and that I was killing myself..the mere thought of me doing caloric suicide was enough for me to change my ways. I really hope that you get to the level to change your ways soon.

I apologize in advance if I seen a bit harsh but you can't be a pansy.....you have got to WORK and girlfriend, this is not easy but it gets better day by day as you get stronger. Nobody is expecting you to go to the gym and do P90X like a pro...heck, even I can't do it to their level but I am willing to try.

We're here for your support but I promise you, you have to make these changes. Everyone has offered excellent advice to you from eating breakfast to exercise routines, etc..

The choice is yours..what will you choose....life or early death?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
You keep talking about good filling foods....you can get the same "feeling" from eating foods rich in fiber...let me challenge you to change your eating. I got to be honest with you..I went from eating 4,000+ calories a day down to 1200-1500 calories. That is HARD to do but I replaced the junk I was eating (chicken nuggets, fries, burgers, burritos, fried chicken, etc) with more whole grains and fruits/vegetables.

Let me challenge you to stop making excuses, let's be honest because that's what you're doing (sorry, I don't know any other way to say that)...you keep talking about the taste..you will have to develop a taste for healthier foods. Change your habits...I used to eat 2 McDonald's sausage biscuits, a hashbrown and medium orange juice for breakfast....not anymore...

Let me tell you what my doctor told me...YOU ARE INTENTIONALLY KILLING YOURSELF by making these poor food choices. Trust me, I have been where you currently are. I know how hard it is to see others chowing down on foods like pizza, bacon, burgers, etc.. but girl, you need to pick LIFE over eating trash just because it tastes good. Think about all the people in your life that need you whether these are your children (if you have any), nieces and nephews, parents, grandkids or whatever. Start considering your life as something precious....your body is your temple..do you want to destroy it by putting in junk.....think about it.

When I started my journey, it was not because I wanted to...I had a doctor who cared enough about me to tell me how much of an idiot I really was...he told me I was a hot azz mess and that I was killing myself..the mere thought of me doing caloric suicide was enough for me to change my ways. I really hope that you get to the level to change your ways soon.

I apologize in advance if I seen a bit harsh but you can't be a pansy.....you have got to WORK and girlfriend, this is not easy but it gets better day by day as you get stronger. Nobody is expecting you to go to the gym and do P90X like a pro...heck, even I can't do it to their level but I am willing to try.

We're here for your support but I promise you, you have to make these changes. Everyone has offered excellent advice to you from eating breakfast to exercise routines, etc..

Terrific post!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post

Great post Lady!

I would also like to say that maybe the OP needs to get a physical and some bloodwork done to see where she stands.

And ASK your doctor about your weight and weight management. If they pu*syfoot around your question, find a new doc. A good, caring doctor will tell it to you straight!

The Endo that I saw when I had gestational diabetes was the one to "slap me in the face". He told me if I didn't change my lifestyle he'd bet his practice that I'd be a type 2 diabetic in less than 5 years. That scared the hell out of me because I had a taste of diabetes...the endless finger sticks everyday, the insulin shots...it was not the life I wanted to live.

Find a doc that will listen to you and who is HONEST with you about your weight and your health. I had so many docs say "well your a little overweight but you are healthy"...I was 90 POUNDS overweight but I never realized how bad that was because they always made light of it.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:58 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:

I believe that you're trying your best, but the problem is that you are clueless about nutrition. I'm not saying that to be mean, but your posts indicate that you do not understand what your body needs to be healthy--never mind losing weight. You should see this as a positive thing because it means your obesity is NOT caused by genetics and you are NOT destined to be overweight. You just have to learn to plan and prepare healthy meals.

How do you learn best? Is it from reading? Listening to a teacher in a class? Online? Whichever method it is, you need to utilize it to start learning about nutrition. There is lots and lots of information out there and you need to educate yourself.

Based on what you've said, you either starve yourself, or you overeat. Neither will lead to weight loss. Eating well does not mean your food has to be bland, or that you're hungry all the time. To the contrary, if you're eating what your body needs, you'll feel satisfied 99% of the time.

Does anyone have any specific books, websites, etc. for Crystal? I always recommend Spark people and also The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises for Women. It also has some nutritional information in it.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:

Try not to fall of a cliff with all that back pedaling you are doing. I dont know how "several diet sodas" can turn into "Crystal Light" and no one said anything about "crackers and tomato soup". It just goes to show that you are all about making excuses and not buckling up and doing what you have to do. Either that, are you ARE a troll (which is what I am thinking you are now) and are just doing it for some attention and interaction.

You have been give great advice here, you now have the game plan. You can choose to follow it, or you can choose to be "DESTINED TO BE OVERWEIGHT". The choice is yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness