Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 12:04 AM

395 posts, read 1,540,974 times

Advertisements

I have lost thirty-five pounds so far. I weighed 237 lbs when I started and I wanted to lose about 100-107 lbs. I am still going to the Y five times a week when we do not have to deal with a winter storm and snow. I do one hour on the elliptical (and it is generally not too busy durring the hours that I go).

I told my hubby that I feel so lazy because I have not been able to physically get there to workout. My local Y is not on a main street and here they only plow the main streets/snow routes so I have to wait until the snow can really start melting or I might get my vehicle stuck. We live in a rented townhouse and I cannot wait until I can buy a house this month so I can have a garage to exercise in.

One thing that is important to my success is that I allow myself some flexibiity. There are some weeks when I simply cannot go five nights in a row because I have other things to do and that is okay with me as long as I continue losing weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 05:27 PM

964 posts, read 3,160,777 times
Congrats, keep up the good work and more of those pounds will fall off like melted butter

Old 02-07-2011, 12:54 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Flexibility in the workout schedule is good. Variety in what you do, or when you do it, helps keep a fresh attitude, and sometimes the body needs a brief rest from working out. The key point about being flexible in this way is that it's done in a useful way that keeps your approach to working out fresh, not in a way where you're slacking off but tell yourself you're being "flexible." Judging by the results you're getting, it sounds as if you're honeslty doing it the right way. Congratulations on your progress, and keep up the great work!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:03 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,773 times
Floridamom1970...
A good workout, flexible schedules is a good thing. You do not want to go workout every night of the week anyway...I mean...not unless you intend to keep that schedule up forever. In other words, follow a schedule that you will KEEP, if that is two times a week...than two times it should be. If you set a workout schedule to drop the weight and then stop that schedule you will gain the weight back, even if you are not eating more. Why? Because your body became accustomed to that level of increase adjustment with your metabolism. You stop the exercise level you decrease your metabolism and you are definitely going to gain that weight back like a yo-yo. Work out on a schedule that you will be able to maintain and keeping your good eating habits in check you will be MUCH happier in the long run. It may take a little longer to knock of the lbs than a stepped up workout, but your body will get to know the expectations and the occasional "extra" workout, especially if you splurge in a dietary way...will keep you right where you want to be..AND happy to boot!

Congrats by the way! Awesome job!!!

Old 02-13-2011, 10:00 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
35 pounds lost.... great job! You're losing weight the right way: combining exercise with a reduction in calories. Give yourself a pat on the back!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:33 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Floridamom1970...
A good workout, flexible schedules is a good thing. You do not want to go workout every night of the week anyway...I mean...not unless you intend to keep that schedule up forever. In other words, follow a schedule that you will KEEP, if that is two times a week...than two times it should be. If you set a workout schedule to drop the weight and then stop that schedule you will gain the weight back, even if you are not eating more. Why? Because your body became accustomed to that level of increase adjustment with your metabolism. You stop the exercise level you decrease your metabolism and you are definitely going to gain that weight back like a yo-yo. Work out on a schedule that you will be able to maintain and keeping your good eating habits in check you will be MUCH happier in the long run. It may take a little longer to knock of the lbs than a stepped up workout, but your body will get to know the expectations and the occasional "extra" workout, especially if you splurge in a dietary way...will keep you right where you want to be..AND happy to boot!

Congrats by the way! Awesome job!!!
Thanks!
I do not go every night. Weekends I take off. I am in the process of buying a house with enough room for me to workout at home if I need to blizzard or not. Actually, I plan to slowly start incorporating more workouts at home, once we move into the new house. I will be further away from the current Y that I go to now and while we still wish to keep our family membership up it probobly will not be as convenient as it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness