Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:25 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,853 times

Advertisements

I'm under doctor's orders not to do anything strenuous, including any activity that would causing bouncing of the internal organs, or any activity (i.e. yoga or stretching) that requires twisting of the torso. I think leg exercises probably fall into that category too because they utilize the iliopsoas muscles which would be in the torso. Furthermore I don't think I can do any core exercises since they always require flexing and jarring of the abdominal muscles. I know cardio is out of the question but as far as resistance training I guess I might be able to get away with some light arm weights.

What is there left to do?

I am getting bored here... it will probably be a month or so before these restrictions are lifted if they are at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Just dont do anything for a month. Rest until you are better. What you need to do in the meantime is REALLY make sure you take in proper nutrition. Sounds like you are pretty bad if you cant do any of the things you mentioned. Just rest.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
First, I have a question, which would be whether you've discussed this with your doctor, and gotten advice on what if any exercises you can do. That would seem to be the first move.

The next thought I have is that if this situation may possibly last for a month and that's it, you might do well to just take that month off from exercise, then start picking up exercise again once you get the okay on being able to move around more. I know this idea may not appeal to you. I understand, because I've had to reduce exercise sometimes due to injuries, and it is frustrating to cut back if you're used to being physically active, but, like it or not, this may be your best move.

If you're bound to exercise if at all possible, then anything the doctor suggests would be the best way to go most likely, but one thought I have is walking. Would walking be okay if you walked at a casual pace and didn't push it to a fast walk? If so, that would be a great way to get some easy activity that would have enough conditioning effect to keep you from getting completely out of shape.

Maybe you might consider some light walking if you just can't not exercise, but I really think you'd do best by taking the month off from exercise, then seeing where things stand at that time, and discussing options for the future with your doctor.

As I said above, I know it's frustrating. When you're used to being active, you really tend to want to stay that way. I've always gotten kind of agitated when I've had to reduce activity due to injury, so I know this is a tough situation. Best of luck to you as you work through this. Take care.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:03 PM

890 posts, read 2,785,348 times
15 to 30 minute slow walks still burn calories, and mildly use muscles, better than just sitting all day.

Carry some dumbells, 5#, 15#, whatever you feel comfortable, while walking even. The extra weight strengthens grip, and forewarms.

Ankle letter-writing. Stand up, lift 1 leg 12" above infront of you. Start writing the entire alphabet with your toes while maintaining balance. I had to do this after I messed up my ankle. It helps stability, and use ankle muscles and tendos. Repeat on other leg.

Maybe Body Weigh Calf Raises. Start with both legs, lift up with your toes--do 20, 25, 100. Try if you can lift yourself with 1 leg only.

There are also several ways to stretch arms without much torso muscle movements.

Neck rotation warm up will work also.

Preacher's Cruls, V-Tricep Extension are isolate enough weights also.

Leg Curls, and Leg Extensions too perhaps?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:47 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Is simple walking out? The 2001 Wellness Report stated walking a minimum of 2 miles per day was a leading factor in a long, healthy life, after not smoking.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:07 PM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
You could try taking several short walks during the day. Maybe 15 minutes at a time and not too fast. You might also be able to use some light dumbells to work your arms. But you should ask your doctor first.

It sounds as though you really need to focus on healing/resting/getting well right now. Maybe after a month of resting the restrictions on your activity won't be so severe and you'll have more exercise options.

Hang in there. Hope you get well soon, OP!

Old 02-11-2011, 10:06 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,100,489 times
The only exercise I can think of that probably wouldn't violate any of the restrictions you mentioned would be the recumbant bicycle. Set the resistance level no higher than "3" so as not to tax your quadracep muscles too much, and keep your rpm's down around 50-60. Start-out at maybe 15 minutes per session, four days a week.
And make sure you run this by your doc before beginning.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,883 times
Miyu... I agree with DrummerBoy on all accounts! The recumbent bicycle would be the best choice for you. I also agree that before you use it, call your physician and ask if you can do this activity and would need an abdominal wrap to assure you are not engaging those abdominal muscles he wanted rested. Also, can you simply walk. Maybe add your wrist and ankle weights for the walk..even if it is at a slow pace...make the walk longer? I sure feel for you. I hope all is well with you soon.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:10 AM

17,368 posts, read 16,511,485 times
If you decide to walk, do so on a flat surface like a track. No hills.

I found out after my c-sections that hills work your abs a lot more than you may realize...

Old 02-13-2011, 02:02 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
You have to love the CD Exercise and Fitness people with their advice. Even though its BAD, you still gots to love them for it.

The key phrase in the OPs post was "Under doctor's orders not to do anything strenuous, including any activity that would causing bouncing of the internal organs, or any activity (i.e. yoga or stretching) that requires twisting of the torso."

What's wrong with just resting and letting your body heal for a month? If you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bored or just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO need to do something, that would mean that you are normally an active person so one month of rest will not do any harm to you and will not ruin your fitness level.

Rest for this month and pick up a friggin' book or maybe take up another hobby or something. Pursue and intellectual endeavor. I really doubt that you are just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ready and need to workout that you will risk whatever ailment/injury you have just because you are "bored". That would be stupid. Rest. Rest. Rest. Then go to your doctor after the month and ask HIM (not CD strangers who know nothing about your ailment) what type of exercise(s) you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness