Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,644,795 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

I've recently decided to actively lose weight and started to do Zumba Wii with a friend of mine for the past-ish week.

I'm male, 22.5 years old, 5' 10.5", and 212/213 lbs (96-ish kg).

I was wondering if people know how much calories are burned while doing the Zumba Wii? I usually do 40-60 min each day (Usually the 2-20 min beginner sets + 1 intermediate 20 min).

The reason I ask is because while I feel mentally, emotionally, and physically better, I've been getting sleepy in the afternoon for the past couple of days. I take 3-4 hour naps in the afternoon on top of the usual 8 hrs of rest. I sometimes eat 2 meals a day, rather than the standard 3.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 07:40 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,314,303 times
Le Lune...Hi there! Welcome to the WONDERFUL world of ZUMBA! I have a Zumba thread here, you may want to look for it. I can tell you something about Zumba. You get OUT what you put in.

First I would have to ask you. Have you ever taken an actual Zumba class? If not, I would suggest you find a class near you and take it for about 1month. That being said, not all instructors are good at what they do. Find a class, ask to try the class our for one session to be sure that you feel like you are getting a REALLY good workout. The very first day you probably won't feel much because you are learning the instructors steps, etc. Look around you...is everyone else sweaty, breathing hard, look like they are really getting a workout? That is what should be happening. Lots of sweating.

Once you have taken a class for a short period you can feel what the intensity is that you should be feeling at home with Wii.

I too have Zumba Wii. It DOES give a good workout IF you consciously GIVE of yourself. This is true in an actual class as well. If you are just doing the moves in a minimalistic way, you will get minimalistic results. Do the moves with gusto. If it is a jump..JUMP, if it is a lung...LUNG, you get the picture.

Okay..sorry so long winded, but I really REALLY love Zumba and it is a GREAT FUN way to stay in shape. If you do ZUMBA for an hour with intense routines (given you give it all) you can burn up to 1000 calories in that hour. I also add wrist and angle weights to get added benefits. I don't recommend that until people have successfully performed over a period of time and realize they need more...then add the weights.

Hope this helps you! ENJOY! Join the other thread. You can see others comments there too!

WELCOME TO ZUMBA!

Old 11-26-2012, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 11,111 times
i need help

Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 PM

283 posts, read 507,381 times
Your naps are way too long, amigo. A 30-45 minute "power nap" is OK and can even help your nighttime sleep cycle bacause it augments your circadian rythym, but 4 hours is a bit much.
Zumba is awesome. I've been doing it once or twice a week for about a year. I didn't need to lose weight or anything, being an avid runner (I'm 6-1 and weigh 173) but I saw all the chicks at my gym doing it and it looked fun. And it is!!
Keep in mind that how many calories one burns in a given time is dependant on his weight; the more ya weight the more ya burn. A dude your size can look to burn around 400 calories in a 45-minute class if you try hard and keep-up with the instructor. The above post that claimed you could burn "1000 calories" is vastly exagerated. Sorry. LOL
Best of luck.
BTW: once you increase your aerobic exercise you will find you don't need those long afternoon naps anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness