Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 09:59 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times

Advertisements

The most effective thing you can use in a street fight is boxing and judo.

You can stop your opponent with punches or throw them if they get close, but all together fighting in general is pretty stupid.

Chances are, you're going to sustain some sort of injury and generally when you get into a fight, you'll be fighting against more than one opponent.

The main thing is just to avoid being on the ground and try to do everything you can to prevent the fight from happening in the first place.

If you end up on the ground, no matter how good you are at manipulating your opponents joints, chances are you'll get kicked in the face or stepped on by someone else while you're in the midst of trying to break your opponents arm.

At the end of the day, you have to realize that nobody is invulnerable. Those MMA guys take serious damage to their joints.

Everything in life has a price. Even Wilder, one of the title holders in heavyweight boxing has metal rods in his hands from a broken hand. That will affect him for the rest of his life.

You can't beat anyone up if you can't move. Think about that before you dedicate a significant portion of your life to fighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 10:01 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
I think the original ultimate fighting and now mma have shown pretty definitively that muay thai and brazilian ju-jitsu are the go to for combat sports. Brazilian ju-jitsu pretty much dominated but it lacked a lot of striking, hence mma in it's current form blends the two
If you get into a street fight though, I think boxing and judo is the way to go.

I don't know if anyone wants to be Anderson Silva'd.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:53 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Hahaha how is kickboxing respectable but TKD isn't?! Huh??
I explained it clearly. Need me to explain again?

Quote:
Any dojang run by a Korean TKD instructor is likely to be very good. I don't know where you get those numbers.
I clearly stated I made the numbers up, you have a reading problem? The nationality of the instructor is irrelevant, unless you are a bigot.

Quote:
My girlfriend's one sucked because it was some white dude who isn't that great but my master was a 6th degree and then 7th later.
So he sucked because he was white?

Quote:
We went to Korea to visit the World TKD Federation headquarters.
Congrats.

Quote:
Sorry but kick boxing is a joke! Oh wow you can throw one or two kicks and punch! Way to go! Huh?! Kickboxing is what soccer moms do for exercise in the suburbs.
"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."

No MA is immune to the mcdojo, not MT, BJJ, TKD, so your attempt at degrading kickboxing failed. I never took kickboxing and merely stated a real example of someone who competes in MMA incorporating kickboxing because the TKD just did not do it enough for him.

Quote:
Also I don't think you "get" the system. Of course you can easily get a black belt in 3 years!
Oh, I get the system. (hence my criticism of it)

Quote:
I got mine in 13 months.
Now I see why you are so emotionally defending such absurdity. This deserves a triple rolls eyes

Quote:
Average is 3-5 years
So, the point of the belt system? Oh yes, for money, keep the belts and stripes flowing, everyone gets a trophy, everyone keeps paying the fees to pat themselves on the back.

Quote:
but I trained 7-8 times per week including 3 private lessons every week and 5 group classes on average.
And? What does that have to do with anything? There are people who dedicate every waking moment to things and still suck at it. I know BJJ people who have been stuck at blue or purple for years and years because they jsut in fact never become good enough for the next level. But in TKD, they would just hand the belt over to make the person feel good about themselves.

Quote:
People from other martial arts seem not to understand that's not how it works in TKD - black belt doesn't mean "ultimate badass" or something. Black belt is considered the start of your journey! It only means you are proficient at the basic level on all standard kicks and poomse's and combos, etc. To be very good you're looking at 3rd or 4th degree black belts with 5th being master status.
Explain the purpose of the belts then...Why not just hand over a black belt to everyone on the first day of class, and tell them their journey is just beginning? Oh yes, back to my previous post, that most TKD are mcdojos, including yours, and just hand these things out to keep people paying and coming. It is the "everyone is a winner and gets a trophy" syndrome.

Quote:
You need to learn more before you comment on an art you clearly don't understand. A "kickboxing" little fairy isn't going to have a chance against anyone skilled in TKD, sorry.
Oh, I understand TKD, that is why I am criticizing it.

What possible advanced skills can you learn in 13 months? I never even took kickboxing nor care about it so I do not see why you keep referring to it. Your 13 month black belt is laughable and you know it. You are a victim of the mcdojo and it is obvious to everyone, and now you are just frantically defending you are not, that "I do not understand TKD", and trying to prove jsut how skilled and advanced you are with a 13 month black belt I (and numerous people including those in the TKD community) make fun of.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:36 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
The most effective thing you can use in a street fight is boxing and judo.

You can stop your opponent with punches or throw them if they get close, but all together fighting in general is pretty stupid.

Chances are, you're going to sustain some sort of injury and generally when you get into a fight, you'll be fighting against more than one opponent.

The main thing is just to avoid being on the ground and try to do everything you can to prevent the fight from happening in the first place.

If you end up on the ground, no matter how good you are at manipulating your opponents joints, chances are you'll get kicked in the face or stepped on by someone else while you're in the midst of trying to break your opponents arm.

At the end of the day, you have to realize that nobody is invulnerable. Those MMA guys take serious damage to their joints.

Everything in life has a price. Even Wilder, one of the title holders in heavyweight boxing has metal rods in his hands from a broken hand. That will affect him for the rest of his life.

You can't beat anyone up if you can't move. Think about that before you dedicate a significant portion of your life to fighting.
Some good points.

Most martial arts suffer from McDojo cult mentality. The moves are so complicated your brain could never perform them under adrenaline dump, that's why so many BB in Karate/TKD get beat in street fights because they ain't sparring and your "partner" will not be compliant IRL.

Even the good SD training I learned a few years ago suffered from some McDojo/cult mentality. That's when I bailed on them.

Boxing, Judo, HS/College Wrestling, real kickboxing not aerobics, Muy Thai, and yes BJJ ( since it's origin is Judo ) are the best at real life fighting/SD skills because................they throw down and f*cking spar not Rex Quon Do shiate.

The real deal and bringing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4i7tDGxEoM

Old 06-14-2015, 07:00 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
99% of TKD schools absolutely suck (number pulled out of the air, but TKD is like the father of the mcdojo scam, I have seen people get black belts in three years), that is why it gets a bad wrap all the way around. Even those who are proficient in TKD, it is often because they also have a kick boxing background or something. Even Pettis, though a TKD black belt, incorporates kickboxing into his training for his professional career.

As far as the OP, which is old, I will not even address it as everyone has their opinions, and everyone can go and find that one guy (or girl) out there among everyone that will validate it.
My SD instructor's partner that taught, and his wife, both had BB in TKD and said it was the worst MA for belt factory nonsense. Some TKD inst. even proudly promote getting a BB in less than 2 years with so many test/$$$ put down.

High kicks in a SD/street fight are stupid but do look great on Kung Fu Theatre and the like.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:09 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
re: the OP - MMA has Kung Fu beat every time... there are no Kung Fu masters alive today hat have come out of the woodwork to prove otherwise and there is ample opportunity and incentive. The UFC has revealed what the ultimate martial artists need to know in order to be successful... it is irrefutable. If you want to learn something effective and useful (or have your children do so), you must find a good MMA school... to do otherwise is a waste of money and time in my opinion.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:44 PM

530 posts, read 902,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
has anyone ever seen a Kung Fu master fight for real? or is it just in the movies?

Ive seen people claiming to know Kung Fu but when they really fight they just fight like a regular street fight, no fancy moves or anything like you see in the movies

what if you put pro boxer MIKE TYSON in the ring with a Kung Fu master?

do you think Kung Fu would do any good against Tyson? I think he would knock the Kung Fun guy out in a real fight.
Depends on who is fighting. Wing Chun Kung Fu. Have you seen any of the IP Man movies? I know those are movies, but there are really skilled fighters in WC and yes they are good.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:07 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
The real deal and bringing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4i7tDGxEoM
They should have all chosen "Idiot Dog". A bigger bunch of idiots I have not seen. But it was entertaining...first rule of Fight Club...

Old 06-18-2015, 02:09 PM

244 posts, read 362,193 times
2015 and people still think that Kung Fu and Tae Kwon Doe are practical fighting styles? I guess some people just refuse to get with the times.

Martial arts like TKD are good for exercising and if you like the actual sport of TKD, it is not useful in a fight in the slightest. Someone who is untrained has no worse of a chance of winning a fight then if they learned TKD for the most part.

Kung Fu is very diverse in what you can learn, but most styles of Kung Fu are more for art, fitness and relaxation - it won't help in self dense. Sanda (Sanshou in particular) is probably the most useful thing you can use, it is pretty close to traditional kick boxing with takedowns involved.

MMA is the best thing you can learn if you want to learn how to fight, it naturally teaches you all of the basic things you need to go into a fight. How good your MMA school will vary, but for the most part, you will see massive improvements just with in a month of training.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, Competitive Kickboxing, Boxing, Sambo, Catch Wrestling & certain Judo gyms are useful as well. Krav Maga can train you for street fights well, but you don't really learn skills and I don't think the fitness is very good, it's better to learn a martial art that utilizes sport (competition will make for better training).

Old 06-18-2015, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,289 times
All these posts and none say what kungfu means: skill learnt through hard work over time. Mma is a ring fight (sport), One of the greatezt chinese fighting arts is TaiChi, juijitsu comes from chinese chinna. Kungfu (chinese martial arts) was developed for war.
Mma is developed for the ring.

There are actually 3 things to consider: technique, method, skill (kungfu).
Also: Speed, mass, force.

Any practitionar in any art can have kungfu. Most martial arts teach method and technique but not many teach kungfu. Even a lot of chinese martail arts dont eve nn teach kungffu. Kiokichinkai karat teaches the kungfu of withstanding blows to the body just like muaythai and shaolin.

The only chineze martial arts for the ring is sanda or sambo. The rest of them are made for war.

Kungfu in mma? Yez there is a lot of kungfu in mma. All these skills shoukd be considerd kungfu. Chineze martial arts might not work in a ring fight, but take a ringfighter to train with shaolin monks. He wont even get past the breakfast squats.

But the greatest truth is that most wushu fighterz dont even know how to use their skill. Most real kungfu take over 20 years to master because of the nature. You can master boxing in just a year or so. You can be a good mma fighter in 3 years.

Im just saying. Do you even know what kungfu means.

Kungfu is not about the origin, but it are skills that come naturaly over time. Like dodging strikes... a fairly easy kungfu to aquire.

You dont learn kungfu. You learn a method and technique but you aquire kungfu
...hHahahH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness