Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,481,018 times

Advertisements

I'm on the wrong side of 45 and almost 6'6". Just started lifting again in January. Put on about 12 lbs in a month...I'd say 6 lbs being muscle.

I've been up to 245 on a bulking cycle, that was about six years ago.

I've heard of six protein shakes/day. I think I'd turn into a blimp if doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:51 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,942,608 times
Wow, six seems a bit much and not in a good way. I have always heard that 3 is the maximum for most people. Honestly, unless I needed to gain a lot of weight, I would never go over two a day.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 AM

61,669 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Dietary recommendation is 0.4 grams of protein per lb of your body weight. One scoop of protein powder has 15 to 22g of protein in it.
You might want to stick with two. If you want to get alot bigger then have one for dinner mixed w/ milk (Casein protein found in milk releases alot slower and is good for before bed)
But be careful: if you have kidney problems you should not consume high amounts of proteins.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Dietary recommendation is 0.4 grams of protein per lb of your body weight. One scoop of protein powder has 15 to 22g of protein in it.
You might want to stick with two. If you want to get alot bigger then have one for dinner mixed w/ milk (Casein protein found in milk releases alot slower and is good for before bed)
But be careful: if you have kidney problems you should not consume high amounts of proteins.
I lost a lot of weight last year due to overwork...I probably missed lunch half of the time. I kind of liked feeling "weightless" but I'm in America, a country that idolizes size at the expense of all else. I also like being "buff"...for different reasons.

I'm pretty lucky genetically, the only "problem" I have is that soreness takes longer to go away as one ages.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:24 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,713,752 times
No protein shakes or bulking up for me

Still want to appear human to other fellow humans

Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,901,725 times
I have daily protein shakes and still look quite human

It depends on what your goals are. The .4 grams of protein per pound of body weight is the average/typical recommendation, not the bodybuilding recommendation for putting on muscle mass.

Generally, 1 gram per pound of lean body mass is the recommendation if your goal is to add muscle. To calculate lean body mass estimate your body fat percentage, if its 15% and you weigh 245 then you would take in about 200 gr daily. So look at your diet and what you eat and supplement accordingly with the protein, you might need one or two or none at all.

I find its the best to take in right after lifting as whey is fast digesting. I also find that a slow digesting protein shake such as casein is good right before bed for when I sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
No protein shakes or bulking up for me

Still want to appear human to other fellow humans

Old 02-23-2011, 06:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I'm on the wrong side of 45 and almost 6'6". Just started lifting again in January. Put on about 12 lbs in a month...I'd say 6 lbs being muscle.

I've been up to 245 on a bulking cycle, that was about six years ago.

I've heard of six protein shakes/day. I think I'd turn into a blimp if doing that.
when you say "bulking cycle" are you talking about using steroids?

i think its not about how many shakes, its about calories. if you use 1 scoop of protein powder you are talking only 120 or so calories. how many calories are you looking to get in a day?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,901,725 times
Bulking generally refers to a stage of bodybuilding where the purpose is to gain muscle (never heard of steroids being referred to bulking but then again I dont know people who use them either).

I have tried bulking then cutting like many do, but really I feel best just at the maintaining stage and do about the same year round.

But you are 100% right, when it comes to bulking, or gaining muscle, its about increasing calories...but you want to increase them the right way, by adding more protein and healthy fats as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
when you say "bulking cycle" are you talking about using steroids?

i think its not about how many shakes, its about calories. if you use 1 scoop of protein powder you are talking only 120 or so calories. how many calories are you looking to get in a day?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Bulking generally refers to a stage of bodybuilding where the purpose is to gain muscle (never heard of steroids being referred to bulking but then again I dont know people who use them either).

I have tried bulking then cutting like many do, but really I feel best just at the maintaining stage and do about the same year round.

But you are 100% right, when it comes to bulking, or gaining muscle, its about increasing calories...but you want to increase them the right way, by adding more protein and healthy fats as well.
Yes...I am going for maximum increase in size and strength. I don't need steroids to do that.

Losing weight has always been childs play to me. I just eat less. Though tempting to say that to overweight dieters, it earns their wrath.

Darned knee produced a sharp pain when doing deep squats today. I wonder if deads are a better lift anyway. Might make a good poll.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post

considering every competitive bodybuilder uses steroids, its generally used when "bulking."

for most people, there is little point in bulking. its best to just be lean and mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness