Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,602,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
Why is that the other woman who I work out with at the gym lose weight 10 times faster than I do? They eat greasy pizza, fried chicken, fast food, and all that other good stuff but yet they still manage to stay pretty thin.

Me, on the other hand, have been struggling with my weight for years. I eat healthy and exercise 2 times a day, I have been doing this for about 2 months now and have only managed to loose a pathetic 5lbs! I eat healthy foods, exercise, tried multiple diets over the years, and still have not lost any good weight. Please....what the hell am I doing wrong?

I am tired of being called a fat ***** by my gym friends, I am tired of being the odd one out.
Yes, based on this and your other posts, if you're being honest about what you eat, you're not eating enough calories and you're not getting enough protein and fiber.

Also, you must not be seeing the whole picture with your friends. If they eat crap food constantly and don't exercise they're going to gain weight. On any give Friday or Saturday night you might see me putting away a hamburger and fries, or two or three slices of pizza, but that's because I've been eating well and working out hard all week.

You need to educate yourself about nutrition and exercise. Stay away from fad diets. Start eating about 1200 to 1600 calories a day and ditch the sodas, diet or otherwise. Losing weight is not impossible, but it does take some concentration and persistence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 03:03 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,629,211 times
I have to agree with Lao - something is not right here. I think the OP should see a doctor, then after getting cleared she should learn about basic nutrition as well as meeting with a trainer who's experienced in working with the morbidly obese. I'd bet they would get you off the treadmill (because you aren't physically capable of getting much benefit yet) and into a swimming pool for starters, along with with some resistance training.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:02 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,436,652 times
I agree with the posters recommending seeing a doctor first and foremost. You can have heart failure from too much exertion at your current weight. If your doctor gives you the go-ahead to power walk, try to beat your distance by a little bit each day. If you walk 1 mile in 1 hour, try to walk 1.1 mi. in 1 hour the next day. Eventually you will get to a slow jog that will melt the pounds off with a healthy diet.

Tainted Love, 2 things jumped out at me from your posts. 1) You compare yourself to your friends. If your friends aren't trying to lose weight, it is much easier for them to exercise off the calories of the unhealthy food they eat than to exercise off more calories than they ate. If they are trying to lose weight but they are tinier than you, they have less bodily restriction and can exert themselves more which causes the pounds to come off faster. You shouldn't be comparing your situation to theirs. 2) You said you stop exercising when you feel nauseus. Most of the time it is fine to vomit then keep running (but check with a doctor about yourself!) I find that when I vomit while exercising, I drank too much water beforehand or didn't let my meal digest enough or I didn't eat before running and my stomach acids irritated my stomach lining. Lots of things could be happening and oftentimes nausea isn't a sign that something is wrong with you. It's usually just a sign that you didn't properly prepare to start working out.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:23 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,641,823 times
@TaintedLove I don't think the people here are trying to insult you. It's just that being 5' 0" and 340lbs is very shocking and very improbable.

Besides that point, what you should start striving for is to start eating breakfast. Which means you need 3 meals a day. I think the reason you are not losing that much weight is because you eat so little that your body goes into "Starvation" mode, which accumulates and stores any kind of food (even if it's healthy) as food source to prepare for survival.

To snap your body back out of that mode and into "Burn" mode, you need to eat the appropriate amount of calories, which is between 1,200 and 1500 calories (I would say 1,500 calories, just to start off). Drink enough water to help your body get revved up. Keep a food journal detailing everything you ate. It helps a lot and it'll act as a motivational item as well.

The general rule of eating to remember is: Eat like a KING for breakfast, PRINCE for lunch, and PAUPER for dinner. That means you allocate a good portion of your daily calories for breakfast (so your mind doesn't think about food throughout the entire afternoon), enough calories to last you the entire afternoon, and some calories for evening activities.

But like people have stated, if you are truly 5' 0" and 340 lbs, you should definitely see a doctor about your situation and ask them what exercise routines you can and cannot do, as your current health is considered "Code Red". By doing so, even though the truth is going to hurt, you are taking the first step in getting your health back.

And don't judge the CD health forum members too harshly. They are not sugar coating anything, so they won't be your enablers.

Good luck~

Old 03-06-2011, 12:45 AM

68 posts, read 109,676 times
I went to the doctor with my mother today (I am 17 years old) all he really told me was to watch what I eat and to loose weight. He suggested that I walk and do swimming exercises. But I do not have a pool at my home. I already do walking on the treadmill at the gym. He also recommended strength training, but I am not doing those as I do not want to look like a man. Lifting weights is more of a guy thing. I was doing my treadmill walking today and started to feel dizzy, I have no idea what is wrong with me. But thaks for yalls advice. I think one of thos healthy cereals like Raisin Brand will solve my breakfast issues I have started to eat that for breakfast instead of having nothing at all. I love fast food and alcohol, but I have learned to control my cravings, for the most part. i have not lost any weight this week (sadly) but I am going to keep trying. Hiing a personal trainer is just too expensive.

I am also wondering what are some good, healthy meals to cook like recipes and such? I am tired of eating what I usually eat for lunch and dinner and would like to try something different. I no longer drink diet sodas or sweet tea. Is drinking apple or orange juice good alternatives? Or should i just drink water?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,258,010 times
Weight training being a "man thing" is a myth. So is the supposition that it will make you look like a man.

I would imagine that you are feeling dizzy because your nutrition needs work. You are, based on your posts, definitely not getting enough of the right kind of nourishment, and may well have blood sugar and/or iron absorption issues, both of which will make you lightheaded. When was the last time you had a blood workup?

Just drink water. If you need flavor, buy some lemons, limes, or oranges, slice them, and twist them into the water...the juice and the citrus oil from the peel will impart natural flavor. Apple juice and orange juice (unless freshly squeezed or pressed) is generally mainly water and added sugars.

You will definitely need to vary up your diet. Healthy meal ideas can be found all over online, in magazines like Shape and Real Simple and their associated websites. Biggest Loser cookbooks have some good stuff, too. Definitely change it up, both for your nutritional health and so you don't get bored with it.

Don't forget that breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast food. I don't like most breakfast food, but there's absolutely no reason you can't eat non-breakfast food early in the day.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:52 PM

16,890 posts, read 16,154,381 times
I would be very careful exercising on a cardio machine if you are experiencing dizzy spells. The treadmill would not be a very good place to pass out! Make sure that you are staying hydrated during your workouts. And watch your nutrition - your body needs a balanced diet to perform well. But you should talk to your doctor if you continue to experience these dizzy spells.

When you're carrying many extra pounds around, the pool is a great place to start an exercise program. The water cushions your joints, bones and just makes moving a much more comfortable experience. It prevents overuse and impact injuries as well. You don't have a pool at your home, but if there is a nearby pool at a rec center/gym I would highly recommend that you check it out. You could also try alternating your workouts between the pool and the gym.

Weight training is good for adding lean muscle and boosting metabolism - which is great for people trying to burn off fat..... It will not make you like a guy . Quite the opposite actually.

As far as food goes, you'll want to limit the fast food in your diet to once a week. Prepare foods at home by grilling, baking, broiling instead of frying. Eat plenty of veggies. Enjoy some fruits. Switch to whole grain pasta and brown rice instead of the white varieties. Drink water, skim milk or unsweetened tea instead of sugary drinks (including juice). No alcohol. You don't need to entirely revamp your diet all at once, it's better to make gradual changes. Check out some of the recipe websites and make what sounds good to you, keeping calories in mind of course.

You are smart to be making these changes while you are still so young!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 PM

968 posts, read 2,580,108 times
I bet you are eating too little. With all that activity you need to feed your body. Plus at that weight you need more cals period.

Eat healthy foods, I'm talking tons of them. Kale, spinach, broccoli, almonds, berries, tons of veggies. Did I say veggies? tons.

Be sure your macros are balanced as well. You probably also need more protein.

Are you recovering properly?

Thats just a ton of activity to not be losing weight. Perhaps have your doc check hormone levels.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:41 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,641,823 times
@TaintedLove

I would recommend doing the walking around your neighborhood as well, if it's safe for you to do so. You can do your gym walk and then do a bit during home after dinner.

You feeling dizzy at the gym might be due to several factors. You might not be drinking enough water (always hydrate yourself), not eating enough (your daily intake should be at around 1500 calories), or that your body is just not accustomed to the workout. If it's the third one, just ignore it and continue working out as best as you can. Your body will become use to it later. But I'm thinking it might be due to the former two, so make sure to hydrate and eat enough.

Raisin Brand is NOT healthy. Don't let the raisins fool you. It's a sugar bomb. If you must choose cereal for breakfast, I would recommend one of the Kashi's GoLean cereal. It's made with natural ingredients, but make sure you are not allergic to any of the items.

Drinking juice is a good alternative, but it really depends on what brand you buy. Anything with high fructose corn syrup in it is just as bad as drinking soda. I would recommend something from either the Simply <fruit name> brand or Florida Natural brand. 8 oz of juice from the carton is sufficient enough. Any more is not really advisable.

Water is going to be your best friend. At least 8 8 oz glasses, but 10-12 glasses should be achieved per day. If you need some kick to it, add a lemon or lime slice to jazz it up.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,468,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
I went to the doctor with my mother today (I am 17 years old) all he really told me was to watch what I eat and to loose weight. He suggested that I walk and do swimming exercises. But I do not have a pool at my home.
See if there is a free pool or YMCA nearby. Maybe you can go there a few times a month. It doesn't have to be a everyday thing if you don't want.

Quote:
I already do walking on the treadmill at the gym. He also recommended strength training, but I am not doing those as I do not want to look like a man. Lifting weights is more of a guy thing.

I lift weights everytime I go to the gym. I see tons of other women doing them as well. Since I have been doing it, my arms and legs feel better (I don't get as many weird cramps/pain as I used to in them) and my arm fat has gone away a little. Lifting weights makes the muscles in your body work and also strengthens the bones. I don't know the exact science behind it, but it does help. Also, having toned muscles makes you look better. That is why models look 'nice' although they are so skinny. They have muscles showing through the skin! If they didn't have the muscle definition underneath, they would look nasty.

Maybe you could find a nice gym nearby or buy some weights at walmart to use at home?

Quote:
i have not lost any weight this week (sadly) but I am going to keep trying. Hiing a personal trainer is just too expensive.
Don't worry, trainers are not needed. My mom lost lots of weight and she didn't use one. I asked her what she did, and she said that she just started walking around the neighborhood in the morning before she goes to work. She also doesn't eat fried food a lot. Maybe once or twice a month.

It may take more than a week or two to see any difference. I was around 154 in January. Right now, the scale says 145/146.

Quote:
I am also wondering what are some good, healthy meals to cook like recipes and such? I am tired of eating what I usually eat for lunch and dinner and would like to try something different. I no longer drink diet sodas or sweet tea. Is drinking apple or orange juice good alternatives? Or should i just drink water?
Maybe unsweetened tea and water? And maybe juice every now and then. Simply orange is delicious.

*edit* If you are dizzy, stop and take a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness