Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,058,466 times

Advertisements

People, stop saying that just because some women manage to work out, eat whatever they want and stay thin that they must be "throwing up". Believe it or not, there are naturally thin women! Those comments are just as hateful as the "fat a**" ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:31 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,129,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
Why is that the other woman who I work out with at the gym lose weight 10 times faster than I do? They eat greasy pizza, fried chicken, fast food, and all that other good stuff but yet they still manage to stay pretty thin.

Me, on the other hand, have been struggling with my weight for years. I eat healthy and exercise 2 times a day, I have been doing this for about 2 months now and have only managed to loose a pathetic 5lbs! I eat healthy foods, exercise, tried multiple diets over the years, and still have not lost any good weight. Please....what the hell am I doing wrong?

I am tired of being called a fat ***** by my gym friends, I am tired of being the odd one out.
First off....if your friends are working out and then eating fried chicken, fast food and pizza then they have their own set of issues obviously and are probably not in any position to call you names. Chances are they are not healthy irregardless of how much they work out, working out is only a portion of being healthy.

There's definitley something wrong here......working out 2x per day everyday, eating right and nothing? How long have you been doing this? There could be a thyroid issue or something deeper.....maybe your not trained properly? you can go to the gym 20 times a day and if you are not using the machines properly or pushing yourself hard enough it's just as bad as sitting on the couch at home.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:18 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,828,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
I went to the doctor with my mother today (I am 17 years old) all he really told me was to watch what I eat and to loose weight. He suggested that I walk and do swimming exercises.
I am going on record as to call b.s. to everything.

You are NOT 5' and 340 pounds.
No way you are 17 years old say "other women I go to the gym with".
No way you are 17 years old, 340 pounds and doctor says "watch what you eat and lose weight."
Why didnt you say one week ago when you started this thread that you had a doctor's appointment scheduled?
What doctor has Saturday office hours? Ive never seen this.
If you are truly 17 years old, 340 pounds and "have been battling with weight issues for YEARS", and the doctor didnt say anything is wrong with you, someone needs to file charges against your mom for child endangerment/child abuse. And they need to file malpractice against the doctor because he is the worlds worst doctor if all he said was "watch what you eat and exercise".
Seriously, someone needs to slap your mom for feeding you food as a child that made you 340 pounds.

I look at everything with a critical eye, and dont just make assumption that all I read is true (especially on the net/chat boards). From what I gather from what the OP says here and in other threads, I call complete b.s. to her/him.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,456,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
People, stop saying that just because some women manage to work out, eat whatever they want and stay thin that they must be "throwing up". Believe it or not, there are naturally thin women! Those comments are just as hateful as the "fat a**" ones.
are you one of those women?

Old 03-07-2011, 12:02 PM

16,881 posts, read 16,145,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I agree. Some people are just naturally thin, they have to work *very* hard to put on muscle and they really don't seem to store fat anywhere on their bodies.

Others seem to be fat magnets - they always seem to be on a constant struggle to lose weight.

Our bodies are different. People don't always want to acknowledge that, but it doesn't make it any less true...

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-07-2011 at 12:21 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 01:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,456,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I agree. Some people are just naturally thin, they have to work *very* hard to put on muscle and they really don't seem to store fat anywhere on their bodies.

Others seem to be fat magnets - they always seem to be on a constant struggle to lose weight.

Our bodies are different. People don't always want to acknowledge that, but it doesn't make it any less true...
i think its ridiculous to say that my comment about throwing up is "hateful." there is no "hate" in the comment. if anyone is hateful its probably from those people who think others can eat all they want and stay thin.

i believe its all pretty basic math. calories in - calories burned is where you end up. nothing is magic, there are no magical people who can just eat crazy amounts of calories and not gain weight. even if we are talking about people with those super duper fast metabolisms, how much can more powerful can someones metabolism really be compared to someone else's? i just do not believe they can have so much greater of a metabolism that it can give someone nearly unlimited eating ability. the numbers dont make sense to me.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:35 PM

34 posts, read 60,953 times
Bad metabolism.

Simple, general solution: eat 1200-1500 calories every day of the week, except for one "off" day where you eat as much as could possibly want/can (should be 2500+ calories to trigger metabolism) and you WILL lose weight.

Done.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,874,166 times
Ummm...what??

Do not tell an obviously obese individual to take one day to eat as much as they possibly can. And considering you are doubtfully a doctor who has examined and diagnosed her, your 'bad metabolism' diagnosis has no merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkisixx View Post
Bad metabolism.

Simple, general solution: eat 1200-1500 calories every day of the week, except for one "off" day where you eat as much as could possibly want/can (should be 2500+ calories to trigger metabolism) and you WILL lose weight.

Done.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 PM

68 posts, read 109,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Weight training being a "man thing" is a myth. So is the supposition that it will make you look like a man.

I would imagine that you are feeling dizzy because your nutrition needs work. You are, based on your posts, definitely not getting enough of the right kind of nourishment, and may well have blood sugar and/or iron absorption issues, both of which will make you lightheaded. When was the last time you had a blood workup?

Just drink water. If you need flavor, buy some lemons, limes, or oranges, slice them, and twist them into the water...the juice and the citrus oil from the peel will impart natural flavor. Apple juice and orange juice (unless freshly squeezed or pressed) is generally mainly water and added sugars.

You will definitely need to vary up your diet. Healthy meal ideas can be found all over online, in magazines like Shape and Real Simple and their associated websites. Biggest Loser cookbooks have some good stuff, too. Definitely change it up, both for your nutritional health and so you don't get bored with it.

Don't forget that breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast food. I don't like most breakfast food, but there's absolutely no reason you can't eat non-breakfast food early in the day.
I am still a bit confused about the weight training. Should I start out with 5-10lb weights? My dad said those weight ranges would be good for a beginner then I could gradually go up from there. But from what I have read muscle weighs more than fat, and I do not want to have them take my weight again and still be the same weight or even heavier and become disappointed. At one point when my mother was losing weight she advised me not to look at the scale because you will be disappointed. She has mostly given up by now. Nobody in my family has had serious health problems due to their weight, we are all just short and obese and I feel fine now. I don't smoke or anything.

We actually always keep a bulk amount of lemons in the fridge, especially during summertime since we like to make our own lemonade I am going to try squeezing a lemon into plain water to see how it tastes. And I would rather drink plain water than unsweetened tea. I am not going to the grocery store until this weekend I will be sure to check out Kashi GoLean cereals and try that brand out. I don't think SlimFast products are a popular option nowadays, though I did enjoy their drinks. If anything I may just drink one of those for breakfast since I have limited time to actually cook a breakfast on weekdays.

I mentioned personal trainers because a lot of people seem to have positive results with them. They know what they are doing and the people who have had a trainer have been living and eating healthy ever since. I think I can manage without a personal trainer, though it would be fantastic if I had one.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:32 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,842,871 times
A few thoughts on several points raised in this thread:

Think long term. Fitness is best approached as a way of life. If you think more in terms of changing habits only as long as it takes to lose a certain amount of weight, you risk going right back to where you started if you reach your goal and then think you're all done, and revert to your old habits.

Thinking in the long term not only means making permanent changes in your eating and exercise habits, but also means being comfortable with the idea that it will take time to see substantial results. Be prepared to make progress gradually. You said you're walking a mile at a time now. An earlier post advised you to push for 1.1 miles in your next workout, and a little more the workout after that. I disagree. Pushing for more each time you work out may be fine for people already in pretty decent shape to start with, but you need to take things very slowly. If you push for too much too soon, you risk injury, which would ultimately undermine your progress. It's especially important to avoid straining yourself if you're starting out at your weight, because this much weight already puts stress on the body. You need to stay where you are until that one mile starts seeming somewhat easy to do, and only then should you increase your amount of exercise by just a bit.

Your progress will be slow that way, but this is where the long-term view comes in. My best guess about why you haven't lost weight so far is that your workouts have not reached the level where they will contribute much to weight loss. The key is to think in the long term, and to be diligent about doing what you are able to do now, then progressing at a comfortable pace. Even if it takes several years to get your weight down to where you'd like it to be, with that long-term view you can understand that those several years are a small portion of your whole life, and then a long-term change of habits will have you in much better health for all those years you have ahead of you.

Keep in mind, though, that I have recommended that you aim to make progress, even though I suggest doing so very gradually. Please try not to fall into the habit of missing workouts and telling yourself it's okay because you are trying to make progress gradually. The gradual approach is good when you have some way to go to be in good shape, but you do still need to be diligent about making progress, however slowly.

I share the view of those who have recommended swimming. If you possibly can join a Y or some other outfit that has reasonable rates where there is a swimming pool, this would be a good idea. Strain on the joints can be an issue when you're heavy, and the bouyancy of the body in water allows you to get in some good exercise with much less potential joint strain.

Do lift weights. Work into this very gradually. Again, you don't want to push for too much too soon. Think in the long term. Think of adopting positive habits for life. Work into shape gradually.

Don't worry that lifting weights will add to your weight. If you aim for gradual progress, it's likely to be some time before you'll be lifting heavy enough weights to substantially increase muscle mass. Even if you do start gaining muscle at some point, this is good weight. It's not all about losing weight, but about losing the wrong kind of weight. Gaining a bit of weight in muscle is fine, and may actually help with the main goal of losing weight in the form of fat, because muscle revs up the metabolism to some degree.

Don't starve yourself, but don't stuff yourself. Instead of eating just a couple of very small meals each day, have three or four snacks between meals, distributed through the day. Make sure to eat healthful snacks, though. Veggies, a little bit of lean meat, and whole-grain bread or cereal are good. Eat small portions several times through the day. Each meal or snack should fill you up enough so you no longer feel any real hunger pangs, but should be little enough that it does not leave you feeling stuffed.

I realize that people have disagreed with each other to some degree here, so you've gotten some contradictory advice, but most people have agreed that you need to remain diligent about working out, aiming for progress at the right pace for you, and to distribute your food intake to several times through the day, instead of just the current two small meals. This is all good advice. It's up to you to make the changes you need to make. Think long term, and best of luck pursuing your new life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness