Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:14 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,271 times

Advertisements

Hello, I started the P90X ab-ripper routine tonight and couldn't believe how out-of-shape I am in, especially in the core area. I could't even get off the ground on some of the exercises. I really want to get in shape and strengthen my stomach for the summer so I can wear cute clothes and possibly look good in my bikini!!

What can I do (without purchasing expensive gadgets) to strengthen my core in order to effectively work this P90X program? I need just some simple down to earth advise and direction. I am going to continue on with the program but feel it will be months until I can get through the entire routine....

Thanks for your help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 12:19 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
One question I have is whether you're trying to slim down a bit. It sounds that way, since you're talking about trying to look good in a bikini. Ab exercises alone won't help you lose weight. For that you'll need to burn more calories than you will with ab exercises alone. I'm not familiar with the P90X series, so I don't know whether the ab-ripper workout or any of their other workouts will do this. If it gets you moving so you're breathing heavily, with continuous movement (not brief sets of ab exercises with breaks between them) for at least 20 minutes or so, then it's calorie-burning cardio exercise. If you can see your way to doing both cardio and some basic strength training, so much the better.

What ab exercises will do is firm up your midsection, so that if you're slim you also look nice and toned. Ab exercises are also good for contributing to health, because a strong midsection supports good posture. When it comes to firming and strengthening the midsection there is no mystical, magical formula. The simple, tried, and true works best. Try:

crunches;
pelvic tilts;
back extensions;
crossover (alternating) crunches (elbow to opposite knee);
ab curls (start with legs in a low leg raise position; simultaneously bring your knees up and back and curl up your upper body so your elbows touch your knees).

Old 03-02-2011, 12:26 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,586 times
Search on youtube for "core exercises", try out multiple drills, and keep doing those that you;
A) feel are hard but are able to do
B) that give you the feeling of having a hard workout

There are so many drills that fit different people and bodytypes etc, you gotta try around and find what works for you.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:32 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hello, I started the P90X ab-ripper routine tonight and couldn't believe how out-of-shape I am in, especially in the core area. I could't even get off the ground on some of the exercises. I really want to get in shape and strengthen my stomach for the summer so I can wear cute clothes and possibly look good in my bikini!!
You dont need to do anything more than the P90x. Just keep doing the program EXACTLY as it is meant to be done (and eat right) and you WILL strengthen your core.

Remember, you JUST started that program last night so its okay. Just KEEP DOING THE PROGRAM EXACTLY AS YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO. You will be fine.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:34 AM

890 posts, read 2,785,567 times
Start with Body Weight Exercises

Do stretches first.

Do Split Squats. It's similar to lunges, but without the extra step movement.
I consider this double the effort of body squats with emphasis on the legs.
Do 5 Reps, and call that a set. Do 5 Set. Call that 5x5.

Stiff Leg Standing Dead (SLSD) with no weight, focus on body form. Do 5x5.
It's basically trying to touch your toes with the focus on the form for your lower back.

Then Body Weight Squats, with no weights to begin with. Do 5x5.
Focus on form.

Then look at the different exercises such as Chin Ups and Pull Downs (need machine).
How about Push Ups?

If there is a set of exercise you "hate" doing, start learning to love them and you will gain progress.
There's a reason why you initially do not want to do them because you are using body parts that was not used to working.

These body parts and muscles will be sore early in the program, so do it gradually by doing it with just body weight and no extra weight (dumb bells). The minor soreness is a good thing, because it breaks down the muscle and fat. So if you eat right, the nutritious food you take will be used to rebuild those muscles and keep the fat burned.

But if you overeat, then both muscle and fat will just come back.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:04 PM

621 posts, read 1,615,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
You dont need to do anything more than the P90x. Just keep doing the program EXACTLY as it is meant to be done (and eat right) and you WILL strengthen your core.

Remember, you JUST started that program last night so its okay. Just KEEP DOING THE PROGRAM EXACTLY AS YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO. You will be fine.
Exactly. I have complete one round of P90X and just started round two this week. The first week i could barely get therough Ab-Ripper ex. Heck, the last month i was having trouble. I lost 20 lbs over the course of the program, down to 165. I am 5'-8". Keep doing the programs and follow the diet. There is no magic pill to help you lose weight, it takes diet and exercise.
Maybe add in an extra Core workout once a week.. that one is pretty good.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:28 PM

Thank you so much, appreciate your support...Have a good week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post

Old 03-02-2011, 01:31 PM

I don't need to lose ANY weight. I am at my perfect weight right now. Just need to tone up and strengthen my body and get in shape. I wear a junior size 7 in jeans but I am not as TIGHT and toned as I desire ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
One question I have is whether you're trying to slim down a bit. It sounds that way, since you're talking about trying to look good in a bikini. Ab exercises alone won't help you lose weight. For that you'll need to burn more calories than you will with ab exercises alone. I'm not familiar with the P90X series, so I don't know whether the ab-ripper workout or any of their other workouts will do this. If it gets you moving so you're breathing heavily, with continuous movement (not brief sets of ab exercises with breaks between them) for at least 20 minutes or so, then it's calorie-burning cardio exercise. If you can see your way to doing both cardio and some basic strength training, so much the better.

What ab exercises will do is firm up your midsection, so that if you're slim you also look nice and toned. Ab exercises are also good for contributing to health, because a strong midsection supports good posture. When it comes to firming and strengthening the midsection there is no mystical, magical formula. The simple, tried, and true works best. Try:

crunches;
pelvic tilts;
back extensions;
crossover (alternating) crunches (elbow to opposite knee);
ab curls (start with legs in a low leg raise position; simultaneously bring your knees up and back and curl up your upper body so your elbows touch your knees).

Old 03-02-2011, 01:51 PM

204 posts, read 875,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
I don't need to lose ANY weight. I am at my perfect weight right now. Just need to tone up and strengthen my body and get in shape. I wear a junior size 7 in jeans but I am not as TIGHT and toned as I desire ...
Did you look at the Insanity video series? I believe it's from beachbody.com which also did the p90x routine. I've done two rounds of p90x and have now begun a p90x/insanity hybrid. I lost somewhere around 40lbs while changing my physique tremendously on the p90x alone but I can tell even more of an improvement since throwing insanity into the mix. I've continued to lose weight and inches while getting stronger all around and the insanity videos focus a lot on the core. It's a lot of jumping, moving, etc. (def not for the faint of heart lol) but Shaun T speaks the whole time about focusing on the core, using the core to lift, etc. An amazing workout and maybe something to look at after going through the p90x routine. As was mentioned by someone else, if you stick with that you will def see improvements.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 PM

Thanks, I will work on what I have and then keep that in mind when I reach a plateau...I am always up for some change cause I get bored very easily with too much of the same thing.. Great post!! Im motivated.

Congrats on losing pounds and inches.. I bet you feel amazing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyp02 View Post
Did you look at the Insanity video series? I believe it's from beachbody.com which also did the p90x routine. I've done two rounds of p90x and have now begun a p90x/insanity hybrid. I lost somewhere around 40lbs while changing my physique tremendously on the p90x alone but I can tell even more of an improvement since throwing insanity into the mix. I've continued to lose weight and inches while getting stronger all around and the insanity videos focus a lot on the core. It's a lot of jumping, moving, etc. (def not for the faint of heart lol) but Shaun T speaks the whole time about focusing on the core, using the core to lift, etc. An amazing workout and maybe something to look at after going through the p90x routine. As was mentioned by someone else, if you stick with that you will def see improvements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness