Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,800,275 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to troll or anything but I'm confused. How do people lose weight off of the atkins diet if things were simply calories in vs calories out? I've seen people eat as much as 2800 calories on the atkins diet and still lose weight. Someone please be kind and explain it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I'm not trying to troll or anything but I'm confused. How do people lose weight off of the atkins diet if things were simply calories in vs calories out? I've seen people eat as much as 2800 calories on the atkins diet and still lose weight. Someone please be kind and explain it to me.
haha that example isnt really working for either side of people in this argument. im not an expert on atkins by any means (never did much interest because im not interested in unsustainable diets), but 1. i just did a search and it does look like total calorie intake is reduced 2. eliminating carbs (including fruits) causes the body to enter a state of ketosis. to me, thats not ordinary and not general enough to apply to anyone's diet.

i know there are various diets which oppose many conventional wisdoms and some work and some dont. i like to keep things simple and not really expect anyone to strictly avoid any food or type of foods. i believe that you can eat any food as long as its in moderation. i believe that for any overweight person, the most quantifiable improvement in health will come from weight loss. that can be done by reducing calories regardless of what you eat. its like the difference between faith and science (my point being science). i know if i lose weight, my blood levels will improve and ill reduce my risk of heart disease. i have faith that if i eat more fruits and veggies, that over the course of my life i will probably be reducing my chance of getting cancer. if you are already at an ideal weight and good numbers, then sure eat more fruits and veggies and hope it works out for you. but the first priority should be getting to that point. reducing calorie is your best bet to get there.

you make a good point mentioning that though. its more my #2 thing which is manipulating your proteins, carbs and fats. i generally try to keep a high protein ratio because i lift weights a lot and want to maximize any potential benefits there. someone mentioned how bodybuilders watch their nutrition. she is quite wrong in thinking they are watching their veggies, fruits and stuff like that. they count how many grams of protein, carbs and fats they are eating. a lot of people use carb cycling to improve their bodies. thats getting too complicated for the average person and harder to sustain long term.

found this with a little search, you may find interesting:

http://www.bestlowcarbs.com/article1100.html

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 03-23-2011 at 08:16 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 11:57 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,644,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
let me ask you a question, when you packed on the pounds and developed your gut, was it from eating too much food or because you didnt eat enough of your peas and whole wheat pasta? dont talk about how motivated you are to lose weight as if that is something to be proud of, you havent accomplished anything until you have lost the weight.
Again, spare me your lame insults. Act like a mature man. You're an adult. This is the last warning before I bring a moderator in.

I'm going to do a little work for you because you are too lazy to search for it: Vegetables and Fruits - What Should You Eat? - The Nutrition Source - Harvard School of Public Health (Click the links in the post as well for studies).

Eating healthy is cheaper than eating unhealthy, depending on where you live. Some CDers complained that they spend more trying to eat healthy than unhealthy. A $1 burger fills you up more than a $1 fruit.

How I gained weight doesn't matter. It's how I deal with it. I've losted 6 lbs in a month from eating healthy and exercising. And it's not just from eating whole wheat pasta and peas too

Why are you telling people that it's okay to eat crap when they are trying to lose weight? I would recommend for your sake to stop shoveling Twinkies and chugging soda.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:55 PM

hey le lune! i was getting worried about you buddy.

i took a quick look at your link. it seems to me like any of their studies adding in fruit also involved reducing the total calorie intake. id have to take more time if they bothered trying to prove what exactly in a vegetable lowers blood pressure, cancer risk, etc. did you notice any studies where the calories were equal but they added in fruits and veggies?

you cant just take random foods and compare them. a $1 burger is a lot more expensive than a serving of whole grain oats. its better to just worry about putting together an inexpensive healthy diet than comparing healthy and unhealthy items. ill go through the cost of some stuff i eat daily: oats-68 cents a pound, chicken breast 1.49 a pound, jelly 88 cents a pound, peanut butter 1.14 a pound, white bread $1 a pound, pasta 59 cents a pound. all nice and cheap.

im not recommending anyone eat "crap." im recommending that their #1 priority should be cutting calories. i never said anyone should eat twinkies and coke (i wouldnt want to do that) but as an extreme example i said if they chose to only eat that, as long as they cut their calorie intake they would lose weight. that weight loss will likely improve their overall health.

ive already gone through what i eat. monday - friday i eat almost the same exact thing every day. weekends i dont limit myself but i usually end up eating 2-3 restaurant meals where i have whatever i want and the other meals would be the oats and grilled chicken with pasta that i eat during the week.

you have before and after pics you want to post here? we can help motivate you do continue to reach your goals!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:12 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,529,033 times
Quote:
. i believe that for any overweight person, the most quantifiable improvement in health will come from weight loss.
for someone who is obese, and has no other diagnosed issues, thats probably mostly true.

Of course lots of us have other issues- whether its blood sugar, cholesterol, or whatever. Some folks (even obese folks) have deficiency issues. There is evidence linking lots of individuals nutrients to helping with specific disorders - most notably benefits of dietary fiber. I would also suggest that being overweight is different from obese - the health benefits of weight reduction at that point are somewhat less clear.

I like the WW approach - they calorie count (modified for the actual effective energy of those calories - some take more energy for the body to process than others) but they ALSO emphasize broader health issues, and getting a variety of foods, getting enough vegetable and fruits and whole grains. WW works for lots and lots of people.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:09 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,800,275 times
I know for me personally,I fill up faster on junk food than on healthy foods. As a consumer I'm very confused on what's healthy and what's not.
For example,how do many asians stay slim if eating white rice was bad?
Some are saying fruits are bad and unhealthy.

What's a consumer to do?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I know for me personally,I fill up faster on junk food than on healthy foods. As a consumer I'm very confused on what's healthy and what's not.
For example,how do many asians stay slim if eating white rice was bad?
Some are saying fruits are bad and unhealthy.

What's a consumer to do?
i think with the asians its about portion control. they just dont eat as much. you know how they are always comparing the size of meals served in american places compared to other countries. we like a big plate of food and that helps make us chunky monkeys.

nothing is bad and unhealthy. fruit is delicious. but it has calories from sugar so you just want to recognize that and not go crazy. you can really eat unlimited veggies because they have so little calories.

i know some people have suggested the junk foods are less filling. i have thought about it and i cant say i agree or completely disagree. i think mostly i disagree, but i cant imagine if i ate straight teaspoons of sugar or straight fat that it will fill me up as much as the equivalent calories in oats. i tried eating lots of veggies and they filled me up for a little bit, but my body went through them faster than normal food because they are just water and fiber.

i think a diet that can be stuck with indefinitely allows people to eat whatever they want. you just cant go crazy. i will go to IHOP most weekends and if they have unlimited pancakes, ill load up. probably get 1500 or so calories in one meal. but i try to cut back the rest of the day and i dont do that every day.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:07 PM

51 posts, read 151,729 times
Quote:
the funny thing is that everybody knows what im saying is true. people want to believe in this magical nutrition of foods that bring benefits that they never see. here is a multiple choice test:

Fill in the blank:

The fat guy got fat because he:

A) Didnt eat enough fruits and vegetables
B) Ate white rice and white bread instead of brown rice and whole grain bread
C) He ate too much

we all know the answer is C. but people want to complicate things and assign healthiness labels to foods that dont deserve them.
Your ****ed !

First you come in here and say that people can eat twinkies and crap and still lose weight . Someone says maybe , but they wont be able to eat as much as if they were eating healthy ( ie fruits and vegtables) Then you go off and start calling everyone down and NOW you change it to he ate too much.

We were never arguing the fact that you will get fat by eating too much. The point was that you should eat healthier so that you can eat more ( AGAIN NOT MORE CALORIES,JUST MORE FOOD).

I agree with you. If I go on a chicken and rice diet I will lose weight and it will not matter if that is white rice or brown rice. Or if my eggs or Omega 3.

That dosent mean that white and brown are the same because they are different.

Regardless - If a person eats below maintaince they will lose weight. If you want to feed your muscle while dieting then you will need to eat the best / healthiest food possible, NOT JUNK !! because no matter what you say your muscles will start to get nutrients from your body no matter what ( become catabolic ) so you should give them the best food you can.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talo View Post
First you come in here and say that people can eat twinkies and crap and still lose weight . Someone says maybe , but they wont be able to eat as much as if they were eating healthy ( ie fruits and vegtables) Then you go off and start calling everyone down and NOW you change it to he ate too much.
change it? i think my whole point throughout this thread is that if you eat too much (which i take as meaning too many calories) you will get fat.

the only difference your body will be able to tell between brown and white rice is that brown rice has a little more fiber. it wont make any difference to your muscles. im not sure what you think "the best food" is but my guess is you have a much more complicated definition than your body does.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:11 PM

51 posts, read 151,729 times
When I go to diet I tend to eat the same old boring **** every day. It's not complicated at all, very simple actually.

The hardest part is getting your mind around it and breaking bad habbits and not eating junk food.

I could write out a very simply diet that someone could follow and lose weight and I'm sure you could do the samething.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness