Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
It's important to specify (with reference to things like pizza, for example) because often, the place you're getting it from makes a HUGE difference.

Here in New Haven County, CT, Domino's doesn't have much of a market share at all. They keep trying to open up shops around here and the locals keep closing them down. People in the Tri-State area (Connecticut, New York, New Jersey) know their pizza. Never mess with our pizza. We will cut you.
You know I have to say, I miss NY...not so much the area but the food. People up there knew their food!

You could get AUTHENTIC greek food, REAL Italian food, Indian food..YUM! bagels...I haven't had a FRESH real bagel in a very long time, pastries...uggh, if you ask where a good bakery is people tell you to go to the grocery store bakery down here.

LOL, maybe it's a blessing I moved from there...I have no will-power! We have good eats down here, you just have to search through a lot of wanna-be's to find the good stuff.

Heck, the only plus is they sell wine in the grocery store down here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
To each his own. I exercise like a fanatic and have ever since I was a teenager because I want to eat junk food. I haven't had a vegetable in years, nor do I want one. I want chocolate cake and donuts. Works for me.

Many marathoners I know subsist on nothing but carbs and have resting pulse rates of 40 and are extremely fit. Eating is one of life's three greatest pleasures and artichokes or string beans ain't cutting it for me. Give me a cupcake.

If a person exercises enough, they can eat pretty much whatever they want to. I burn off 1000-1500 calories most days and that covers most of the junk food.
Wow, to each his/her own, indeed. Junk food is simply NOT that important to me that I'm going to go to great lengths to build a lifestyle around being able to eat it. In fact, it's not important to me at all. I do agree with you that eating is one of life's greatest pleasures...but not eating sweets and grease. Not for me, anyway. I CRAVE nutritious food. Garbage food makes me queasy, and I really don't like it when I have to have a meal that doesn't include fresh, homegrown vegetables or fruit. I also exercise regularly and vigorously, but not so that I can feel like I have a license to eat crap.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:45 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Actually, if you're looking for a more accurate catch-phrase than "less calories in--more calories out", than you might want to try adhering to this one: "If it wasn't around when your grandmother was cooking, don't eat it." This is good advice because for a long time now, the blame on "bad" foods has been mis-directed and inaccurate. Red meat, eggs, potatoes, pork chops, dairy, and yeah, even bacon and sausage--in moderate amounts of course--have been given an undeserved bad rap. The real culprits in the current obesity epidemic are overly processed and refined food: anything with trans fats in it, or hydrogentated vegetable oil, or sugar-laden but supposedly healthy granola bars, or those Exxon Valdez-sized fountain soft drinks.
We sometimes forget how many more calories our ancestors burned than we do nowadays, like back when we were a primarily agrarian society and had to go out and actually work for our food and water and milk. Good Lord, even getting-up to change the TV channel today would be seen by most people as a huge if not intolerable inconvenience! It's been reckoned that an average American in the 19th century burned almost twice the cals per day than we do now. So when you add that factoid to the addition of processed food to our diets, obesity seems to be an all but unavoidable consequence.
New Catch-Phrase: "Eat like your grandparents did, and jack-up your calories-burned by half."
Now...that'll make ya lose some weight, amigos!

Old 03-18-2011, 06:19 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Actually, if you're looking for a more accurate catch-phrase than "less calories in--more calories out", than you might want to try adhering to this one: "If it wasn't around when your grandmother was cooking, don't eat it."
(snip) New Catch-Phrase: "Eat like your grandparents did, and jack-up your calories-burned by half."
Now...that'll make ya lose some weight, amigos!
Ham hocks, biscuits and gravy, grits drenched with butter and gravy, bacon eggs and hash browns, pulled pork sandwiches dripping in barbeque sauce on big fat buns, chicken-fried steak, fried chicken, steamy stringy macaroni and cheese, sugar cane (not merely sugar in your food - the whole slice of cane), sugar beets, watermelon..

Oh yeah there's a recipe for a diet. Y'all go live in Mississippi and eat how grandmothers there have cooked for generations...see how quick you lose weight.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:59 AM

860 posts, read 2,205,207 times
How about moderation people? I eat my servings of raw fruits and vegetables and have an overall moderate well-rounded diet. But I'll still have a small desert to accompany lunch and dinner, and on occasion I will go out to a restaurant and indulge. It's silly to be on either extreme end.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:13 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Ham hocks, biscuits and gravy, grits drenched with butter and gravy, bacon eggs and hash browns, pulled pork sandwiches dripping in barbeque sauce on big fat buns, chicken-fried steak, fried chicken, steamy stringy macaroni and cheese, sugar cane (not merely sugar in your food - the whole slice of cane), sugar beets, watermelon..

Oh yeah there's a recipe for a diet. Y'all go live in Mississippi and eat how grandmothers there have cooked for generations...see how quick you lose weight.
He means grandmothers who cook foods that are indigenous to their particular ethnic group's diet. Your list does not contain indigenous foods; it is a list of "scrap" foods historically doled out to slaves and the otherwise extremely poor. African foods will not make you fat. African-American foods will.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 AM

307 posts, read 477,057 times
Did none of you see this?

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

Professor loses ~30 pounds eating nothing but twinkies.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:28 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
Did none of you see this?

Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

Professor loses ~30 pounds eating nothing but twinkies.
nutrition is primarily marketing. the vegetable growers want you to think their product is so healthy, the dairy people want you to think milk is the healthiest, the organic industry wants you to think organic products are so wonderful. its so insane that people think stuff like real sugar and dark chocolate are practically health foods. people are so clueless. some lady told my mom that hot water and lemons are healthy, now my mom's moron boyfriend is drinking it all the time. sorry, its just water with some lemon juice. this guy who started this thread is absolutely clueless. he spits out the same bs we have all heard a million times and thinks he knows what he is talking about. its a bunch of crap. calories are king.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:17 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Preach on.

My SO lives by eating like garbage but keeping his calories in check, and he's very active and does lose weight. But I would NOT say that he has anything resembling healthy eating habits. At this point in time, it has not caught up with him...were it me, I couldn't eat what he eats (Doughnut for breakfast, slice of pizza for lunch, Twizzlers for snacks, half a box of pasta and sauce for dinner, or fast food, gallons of Diet Dr. Pepper), and run/cycle 4-5 miles a day, but he does. I suspect that he's hungry a lot of the time, due to negligible nutritional value of what he eats, but it's a sacrifice he makes to feed his sweet tooth. Still, I'm not sure where his energy to run and bike comes from. I suspect he won't be able to keep it up forever without adverse effects, but for now, he stays thin and fit, despite his rotten eating habits.
So be a good SO and cook for him.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:10 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
So be a good SO and cook for him.
and a lot of people think im an a-hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness