Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:47 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Only "Freds" wear regular clothes.
Don't use that term much, but sounds pretty neutral and I roll with it.

As for the rest of this thread, we'll go ahead and try to keep it cool and sane.
As touchy as some of the responses have been, we don't need it turning into another "this vs. that" thread, or myself getting 86'd from here like some certain other poster from Sur-Cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 02:24 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Don't use that term much, but sounds pretty neutral and I roll with it.
It's about as neutral as "nuts and fruit loops"

Quote:
As for the rest of this thread, we'll go ahead and try to keep it cool and sane.
As touchy as some of the responses have been, we don't need it turning into another "this vs. that" thread, or myself getting 86'd from here like some certain other poster from Sur-Cal.
We do allow a couple of bents to ride with us, but they are usually delegated to the back.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:12 PM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
Quote:
Only nuts'n'fruit-loops wear lycra, I wear regular clothes while riding.
As far as everyone driving, I'm not going to stop them either.

They got kids or something, then that's their business, but the fact of the matter is that I'm usually only one out there while everyone else is buckled in.

Figured I'd start a thread for bike-commuting in the appropriate sub-forum, but the car-superiority trumps all, until a bigger vehicle comes along.
I'm not sure where to find a bike commuting thread here. Have you checked out bikespeak forum?

BikeSpeak Forum - Spoke-N-Sport Sioux Falls, SD (http://spoke-n-sport.com/bikespeak/index.cfm?forumid=1 - broken link)

Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,059 times
Quote:
Only nuts'n'fruit-loops wear lycra, I wear regular clothes while riding.
As far as everyone driving, I'm not going to stop them either.

They got kids or something, then that's their business, but the fact of the matter is that I'm usually only one out there while everyone else is buckled in.

Figured I'd start a thread for bike-commuting in the appropriate sub-forum, but the car-superiority trumps all, until a bigger vehicle comes along.
Let me see you do a 100 mile ride, then tell me that Lycra is for "nuts n fruit loops." Gotta love pansies riding a whopping 15 miles then thinking they can judge folks who ride for real.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,064,746 times
Add me to the list of drive everywhere!

I don't exactly live around the corner from anything except the grocery store, and when I put down $200 for groceries it doesn't come in one tidy bag that I can put in the basket on the front of my bike.

We have 4 kids and on any given night have to get to 2 fields for drop off and pick up.

We ride for leisure on the weekends and sometimes after school.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:56 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Let me see you do a 100 mile ride, then tell me that Lycra is for "nuts n fruit loops." Gotta love pansies riding a whopping 15 miles then thinking they can judge folks who ride for real.
I'll take the pain in my regular clothes, you could jock the lycra all you want.

And now it seems apparent that having children around is one of the main reasons for driving everywhere.

If people want to drive everywhere, then do so.
Just don't put a baby up in my face and expect me to bend over backwards.

And yes, I drive for my job and when it's necessary, I'm just one of those people that doesn't act like it's the end of the world if my vehicle breaks down.

Some people throw a real fit when that happens.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:46 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Quote:
I'll take the pain in my regular clothes, you could jock the lycra all you want.
Ahhh yeah, I remember back in the day when I thought that way. But that was before I started to really put in the mileage in this Texas heat.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:49 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,064,746 times
Quote:
Not sure what this is supposed to mean? Who is asking you to bed over backwards for a child?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
If people want to drive everywhere, then do so.
on the weekends i like to carry my daughter around and put her right in people's faces so that they will do whatever i ask of them.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,059 times
Quote:
You've never done anywhere near that type of mileage before, that much is clear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness