U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 10:22 AM

579 posts, read 774,505 times

Advertisements

I have been exercising regularly for more than a month now-- I was not overweight but I was hoping this might help my fatigue, insomnia, and just overall be better for my health. While I do love the workouts and look forward to it every day, and I do feel stronger and better overall (hard to describe but I just feel more "alive")-- I can't say it has helped my fatigue or sleep one iota. I still feel draggy most of the day and have trouble staying asleep at night.

So I'm just wondering.... does it take more than a month for energy levels to increase? Should I be working out more, less? I am doing moderate aerobics 45-60 minutes a day every day. My BMI is 20. I've been tested for anemia, thyroid issues, everything is normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 AM

12,977 posts, read 30,146,623 times
Well the fact that you say you feel "...stronger and better overall" is pretty good.

What is your nutrition intake like? I say NUTRITION because it is of vital importance that you fuel your body correctly. DO NOT DIET!! A well rounded and proper nutrition plan (along with vitamins) is important along with your workout.

What are you doing in your workouts? What is your average routine?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:29 PM

I am doing Leslie Sansone 4-5 miles a day, with "boosters" -- light weights and stretchie band.

I eat pretty healthy-- a typical day would be

breakfast-- fruit or carrot salad
lunch and dinner -- some combination of whole grain, legumes, greens (collards or spinach)
snacks-- nuts, fruit, salad, whole grain toast
beverages-- water, calcium fortified OJ

Once in a while I'll have something "bad" like cookies but it's rare-- maybe once a week. I am eating mostly vegan now with the exception of plain yogurt, but I have eaten dairy, fish and meat in the past but still felt fatigued w/ the insomnia. I have also tried gluten free- no difference!

I agree it's great that I feel more alive but it hasn't helped my fatigue at all even though everything I read and everyone I talk to says it should help. Even leslie says in her dvds I should be sleeping great and have more energy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
(along with vitamins)
I was taking a daily multi plus folic acid until I read some studies that linked vitamins to increased rates of cancer-- so I stopped taking them. I didn't notice a difference in my energy level either way.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:32 PM

541 posts, read 1,732,150 times
You need more protein and a bigger breakfast. Your calorie intake is way low.

Chicken, turkey, fish....heck get some steak.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:35 PM

541 posts, read 1,732,150 times
Nevermind just read the vegan thing.

Veganism is your problem. At least upgrade to vegetarianism.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:01 PM

12,977 posts, read 30,146,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
I am eating mostly vegan now .........
There is your problem - you are malnourished.

First of all, your diet is HORRIBLE. I am not going to question why you are on a vegan diet, but I can tell you that NUTRITION is a very important factor in health, fitness and energy. That diet you are on is quite horrible. Too much fruit = too much sugar. Any plans of coming off of that diet and GOING ON A HEALTHY PROPER NUTRITION PLAN?

Old 04-13-2011, 04:42 PM

5,144 posts, read 11,106,109 times
You really have to pay strict attention to your intake to be vegan and healthy. Don't just not eat meat/animal and leave it at that. You will feel like crap. Make sure to do your research or talk to a professional dietitian.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:50 PM

665 posts, read 1,552,698 times
Vitamins do not cause cancer.

Vitamins are the only way your body works.

Without vitamins we would all be dead.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
You need more protein and a bigger breakfast. Your calorie intake is way low.

Chicken, turkey, fish....heck get some steak.
I eat lots of legumes and nuts/ nut butters-- which are rich sources of protein (and calories-- peanut butter is 100 cal / tbs). I have eaten dairy, fish and chicken in the past (as I've already stated), for long periods, sometimes every day, and had worse fatigue.

As far as calories... I am easily getting 2000-2200 calories a day. Nuts, olive oil, and whole grains are extremely calorie dense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
There is your problem - you are malnourished.

First of all, your diet is HORRIBLE. I am not going to question why you are on a vegan diet, but I can tell you that NUTRITION is a very important factor in health, fitness and energy. That diet you are on is quite horrible. Too much fruit = too much sugar. Any plans of coming off of that diet and GOING ON A HEALTHY PROPER NUTRITION PLAN?
I eat fruit only for breakfast (unless I have a carrot salad, and I put nuts in it), and no more than 16 oz of calcium fortified juice since. That's 3 servings a fruit-- not too much by any dietary standard. I am very conscious about limiting fruit intake.

I eat loads of greens and legumes, the most nutritionally dense foods on the planet. I'm not sure what your idea of nutrition is?

And as I've stated twice, I have previously been omnivorous and felt worse in terms of fatigue.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Vitamins do not cause cancer.

Vitamins are the only way your body works.

Without vitamins we would all be dead.

Synthetic vitamins, especially folic acid, have been linked to cancer. Those, obviously, are what I am referring to.

Too much folic acid linked to cancer - Health - Diet and nutrition - msnbc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness