Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 12:20 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Education
Little formal education is required for entry level positions in fitness instruction. Most certification programs require a high school diploma (or equivalency degree) and First Aid training (including CPR). Knowledge of exercise and a background in athletics are a plus.
( This job is pretty low paid )

For those Fitness Instructors seeking advancement to management positions, a Bachelor's Degree in Sports Medicine, Exercise Physiology, or Kinesiology will be necessary. For self employed personal trainers, a Bachelor's Degree will help to attract more clients.

Salary Information
Salaries for Fitness Instructors depend on experience and location of employment. The US Department of Labor, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, reports that the median salary for Fitness Instructors is $25,000 a year, with earnings as high as $60,000 possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 12:24 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Ok great...What were you making? Was it hard to get clients?
Not at all!!

Occupational Outlook
The need for Fitness Instructors is expected to skyrocket in the next ten years. Medical advances are increasing life-spans by leaps and bounds. Retirees want to be ready to enjoy their extra years and the best way to do that is to be in top physical condition. Parents will also be hiring Fitness Instructors to get their children away from the television and into the gym. The opportunities are almost limitless for skilled, enthusiastic Fitness Instructors.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
It totally depends where you are as well. I live in Southern California, where people generally have more money and are intent on looking good. (I realize this is a gross generalization, but I would also say I think it's pretty accurate).

Someone in the LA area will make a lot more money than someone in rural Iowa.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:26 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
What do you do now, if I may ask? Just curious?
I do Engineering, as I did then as a full time job. Most fitness instructors I know only do it part time. It is physically demanding to do it full time.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
Your statistics are correct. Fitness instructors do make more money in California but anyone that lives around a big city can do well. I guess it is something I will have to research a little more. I just don't want to go to school for years and end up hating my job. It isn't worth it to me.
I appreciate your help and comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
It totally depends where you are as well. I live in Southern California, where people generally have more money and are intent on looking good. (I realize this is a gross generalization, but I would also say I think it's pretty accurate).

Someone in the LA area will make a lot more money than someone in rural Iowa.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:16 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
Thankyou...that is really encouraging to hear. I guess it really depends on one's passion and personality. Everyone has a gift to do something in this life and not everyone is cut out for certain jobs. I have been to the hospital only to find certain Doctor's and Nurse's to be downright unloving and uncaring. I believe some of the time people get into jobs that they are not cut out for. I certainly appreciate your encouraging words as I am seeking different avenues for a career... THANKS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not at all!!

Occupational Outlook
The need for Fitness Instructors is expected to skyrocket in the next ten years. Medical advances are increasing life-spans by leaps and bounds. Retirees want to be ready to enjoy their extra years and the best way to do that is to be in top physical condition. Parents will also be hiring Fitness Instructors to get their children away from the television and into the gym. The opportunities are almost limitless for skilled, enthusiastic Fitness Instructors.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 660 times
hello I am dancing aerobics instructor certified for a short time and I would like to work from home , I think asking a DBA , who can help me to know how I must do, do I need a license to work ? I'm a little lost ... if someone has set up his small business and who can give me information that would good !! thank you

Old 01-22-2015, 02:10 PM

210 posts, read 319,310 times
Have you considered looking into on-site corporate fitness\wellness training? Many businesses are realizing the benefits of healthy employees (reduces health care plan costs, Rx meds, etc.) and are building complete gyms, with not only fitness equipment, but onsite staff to run them, manage schedules, teach classes, and provide training as needed. I toured several businesses where this was in place when we were looking to implement an on-site facility years ago, and it was a really neat opportunity!

Here is one article: On-Site Corporate Fitness Facilities

Old 01-25-2015, 09:35 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
As a college teacher, I have the summers off. For 4 years I was a certified personal trainer in Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage. I was very fortunate in that I knew the woman who was moving away and she gave me a portion of her clients. Earlier in my life I had gotten my certifications.

My main problem was I don't have the necessary personality to pull this off. You really have to be upbeat, encouraging, constantly motivating and praising. I couldn't fake it and it didn't come naturally. The best part of the job is to challenge people and see the results of your suggestions. But most people I worked with weren't people I really wanted to be around.

So you really have to look at your personality. It's a job for highly extroverted people and I had all private clients, I wasn't working in a gym setting.
Trying to become certified as a personal trainer is something that crossed my mind in the past.

It seems like there's two main options, work for a fitness chain/gym like 24 hours, or get your own practice.

But most of all, I think personal training is mostly about customer service and motivation.

I, too, do not have that extrovert personality. I've always been introverted and trying to appear outgoing would make me seem fake to people.

As for age, age should be irrelevant in becoming a trainer. As our population gets older, many older people feel more comfortable being trained by older people like them, so to say that over 40's is washed up is ridiculous.

Active second careers: Becoming personal trainers

Old 01-26-2015, 08:47 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Trying to become certified as a personal trainer is something that crossed my mind in the past.

It seems like there's two main options, work for a fitness chain/gym like 24 hours, or get your own practice.

But most of all, I think personal training is mostly about customer service and motivation.

I, too, do not have that extrovert personality. I've always been introverted and trying to appear outgoing would make me seem fake to people.

As for age, age should be irrelevant in becoming a trainer. As our population gets older, many older people feel more comfortable being trained by older people like them, so to say that over 40's is washed up is ridiculous.

Active second careers: Becoming personal trainers
This is good advice - where I live, age is nothing but a number. There are TONS of retirees and elderly where I live (coastal city in Florida) and many of the instructors are in the same age group, or at least young seniors. I will say that the best instructors have that naturally outgoing, friendly personality. If one doesn't have that, I would say you might not do so well.

Good luck, it has even crossed my mind as something to get into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness