Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:07 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,147,795 times

Advertisements

Hello, I really like fitness, looking good and helping people and I am looking to find a career. Does anyone have any information on how to become a fitness instructor or personal trainer and does the job pay is very good. I have a few options but I believe I would really like this particular line of work. I just need some direction and advise from any of you trainers out there. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 12:27 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,611 times
Most people I know, they love it. I don't know how much money they make but I assume you would probably have to have a lot of classes lined up. My kickboxing instructor does several classes a day and she does personal training as well. I do not think she has any other career so I would have to assume she makes a decent living somehow.

I just looked online and the average salary is $45K.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:14 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
I tried it part time for a few years. Your hourly rate may sound pretty good, my highest was $25, but that is only for the time you spend teaching. You don't get paid for the time you prepare your routines, setting up before and after class. First step is to get certified, either by American Council on Exercise, Acefitness.org or AFAA, AFAA.com. You will need to get continuing education credits to stay certified. Both organizations also certify personal trainers. For more information from actual instructors, check out TBB at turn step.com

Old 04-23-2011, 01:26 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,943,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hello, I really like fitness, looking good and helping people and I am looking to find a career. Does anyone have any information on how to become a fitness instructor or personal trainer and does the job pay is very good. I have a few options but I believe I would really like this particular line of work. I just need some direction and advise from any of you trainers out there. Thanks so much.
Wow. You've come a long way in just one month - //www.city-data.com/forum/18094644-post1.html

Youre core was so weak just then that you could barely do some of the exercises now you want to become a fitness instructor? Find a gym in your area that may be looking for trainers and find out about the qualifications. You probably will need AFAA, NASM or ACE certifications in order to get a job. Or, you can become proficient AND certified in a particular discipline like yoga, pilates or martial arts and you could find work. Its not the best paying job in the world, but if you can make enough money to eat, pay your rent and your bills doing something you love then you are doing well.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,385,976 times
As a college teacher, I have the summers off. For 4 years I was a certified personal trainer in Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage. I was very fortunate in that I knew the woman who was moving away and she gave me a portion of her clients. Earlier in my life I had gotten my certifications.

My main problem was I don't have the necessary personality to pull this off. You really have to be upbeat, encouraging, constantly motivating and praising. I couldn't fake it and it didn't come naturally. The best part of the job is to challenge people and see the results of your suggestions. But most people I worked with weren't people I really wanted to be around.

So you really have to look at your personality. It's a job for highly extroverted people and I had all private clients, I wasn't working in a gym setting.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:13 PM

Ok... it is obvious that you need a little more of my background instead of assuming that because I was out of shape a couple of months ago that I have been out of shape my entire life. Let me share a little about me.

When I was seventeen I married a professional body builder. He won several titles and personally knew Arnold Schwarzenegger (yes back in the day before he became an actor). I worked out with my husband six days a week and was totally into bodybuilding, fitness, the whole nine yards. After we divorced I continued to work-out, was a dancer and dance instructor for a few years and joined 24-hour fitness (it was family fitness at that time) back in the late 80's, early 90's. I was employed as a part-time aerobics instructor at that time along with teaching ballroom dancing. I also was going to try out to become a Rams cheerleader but fractured my foot in my jazz dance class just a week before try-outs. So basically I have pretty much ALWAYS been working out, dancing, and have taken good care of myself.

In the past couple of years there have been a lot of death in my family, a lot of moves, marital problems, etc. I basically had not been working out for about two years until two months ago when I said "Enough is enough". I was tired of feeling tired, out of shape and depressed. So I pulled out my P90X work-out videos that I had ordered a year ago and started in.

Since I had never done that work-out it was hard for me at first. I am totally exercising at home since I don't have money for the gym so this is all new to me. Therefore, I have been coming on the forum for help, suggestions and encouragement.

At the same time, I am looking to get a degree in something since my husband and I (not the bodybuilder) but my second husband are considering a divorce. I have been totally dependent on him for years as I gave up my career several years ago to stay home with my boys.

I have been looking into pursuing a nursing degree but started thinking "What do I like to do"?. The answer is.. I love to work-out, love to look good and love to encourage and help other people as well. So I am highly considering a field in physical fitness even if it doesn't pay as well as nursing. I believe I would really enjoy it.

So here I am asking all you for your counsel, suggestions and help. Thanks to everyone here for all the great advise. I love this forum. Truly helpful and encouraging.

Now that you know me a little better I would like to say thanks again to all of you and PLEASE keep the suggestions coming!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Wow. You've come a long way in just one month - //www.city-data.com/forum/18094644-post1.html

Youre core was so weak just then that you could barely do some of the exercises now you want to become a fitness instructor? Find a gym in your area that may be looking for trainers and find out about the qualifications. You probably will need AFAA, NASM or ACE certifications in order to get a job. Or, you can become proficient AND certified in a particular discipline like yoga, pilates or martial arts and you could find work. Its not the best paying job in the world, but if you can make enough money to eat, pay your rent and your bills doing something you love then you are doing well.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:17 PM

Ok great...What were you making? Was it hard to get clients?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
As a college teacher, I have the summers off. For 4 years I was a certified personal trainer in Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage. I was very fortunate in that I knew the woman who was moving away and she gave me a portion of her clients. Earlier in my life I had gotten my certifications.

My main problem was I don't have the necessary personality to pull this off. You really have to be upbeat, encouraging, constantly motivating and praising. I couldn't fake it and it didn't come naturally. The best part of the job is to challenge people and see the results of your suggestions. But most people I worked with weren't people I really wanted to be around.

So you really have to look at your personality. It's a job for highly extroverted people and I had all private clients, I wasn't working in a gym setting.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:50 PM

What do you do now, if I may ask? Just curious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I tried it part time for a few years. Your hourly rate may sound pretty good, my highest was $25, but that is only for the time you spend teaching. You don't get paid for the time you prepare your routines, setting up before and after class. First step is to get certified, either by American Council on Exercise, Acefitness.org or AFAA, AFAA.com. You will need to get continuing education credits to stay certified. Both organizations also certify personal trainers. For more information from actual instructors, check out TBB at turn step.com

Old 04-24-2011, 10:42 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,098,842 times
I've been a NASM-certified personal trainer for seven years, although for the past three I've been doing it only on a part-time basis. I love the work, and the money is pretty good. The gym I work for pays me $22.00 per hour. This sounds great, and it pretty much is, but what ya gotta remember is that building a sufficiently-large client base which enables one to make a living soley as a trainer is where the hard part comes in. From my experience, I'd reckon that only about 20% of all the trainers is my city have make a living wage, which would allow them to support themselves on their training wages alone. A ton of the trainers are kids, who live at home or with roomies or go to school or have other jobs, and they don't make jack in the way of money. Also, I have to admit, may of them are vastly under-qualified. Especially the young girls. Oh sure, they passed the cert-exam, but that just meant they could memorize some stuff or are good at taking tests. A good percentage of them never even played sports or were athletes. They just thought being a trainer would be cool. The field is, alas, overrun with twits. There's a slew of "trainers who need trainers" out there.
Because of this, many gyms are now requiring advanced education for thier trainers; that is, instead of just a cert they want a BS degree in Kinesiology or Sports Science. I myself am a lifelong athlete, having played baseball, from little league to the semi-professional level, and also having ran track in high school and college.
I originally opted to get my licensure from NASM simply because Gold's payed them more per hour than they did those who got their certs from other entities. To this day, I feel that NASM is still the best cert--and also the most difficult exam to pass.
Judging from your past experience, I'd advise you to hold-off for a year or so and get in better shape and do some kinesiology studying on your own, since it appears as if your experience lays mainly in dance stuff, which, to be honest, prepares you not one whit for the knowledge and experience required to personally oversee a client's complete fitness and nutritional regimen. Also, it sounds like you're in your early 40's, and at that age--bordering on ancient in the training world! lol--a lot of places are gonna prefer that you had a lot of athletic experience in order to make-up for that.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:48 PM

I thankyou for your honestly but I am now totally discouraged. I just cannot seem to find anything that interests me or that doesn't require a ton of experience or college. I just don't have several years to get a degree. I feel not only discouraged but useless...something I have been struggling with for a year since beginning this career searching..

I guess people that are over 40 just belong in the senior center then A bunch of hasbeens who cannot compete with the younger generation and are ready for the grave.

You kind of contradict yourself on one point. You say that most of the trainers are very young, inexperienced, twits, under trained, etc...especially young women but then go on to say that anyone over 40 is over-the-hill. So are you saying that the profession belongs to a decade of 30 to 39 year old's? Boy that doesn't leave too much of a window for those of us that love fitness and want to help others achieve physical fitness no matter what their age. Are you saying that only younger people need a personal trainer?

Personally if I were to enter a gym and want to hire a trainer I would prefer someone who is close to my age. As I look around and notice people who are in nice houses and expensive automobiles I notice that they are usually people over 40 because most young people do not have their act together financially. I am saying "MOST". Therefore I would think that the wife who is over 40 married to a man who is well-off would not want some 30-year old that has most likely never had kids and has a perfect "no kids body" to help her get in shape. I know I wouldn't...

Anyway..to each his own. Thanks for the encouragement. I will continue with my search and follow my heart and desire. By the way...I may be over 40 but I don't look like it. Age is a matter of the condition that one is in...mentally, physically, spiritually, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I've been a NASM-certified personal trainer for seven years, although for the past three I've been doing it only on a part-time basis. I love the work, and the money is pretty good. The gym I work for pays me $22.00 per hour. This sounds great, and it pretty much is, but what ya gotta remember is that building a sufficiently-large client base which enables one to make a living soley as a trainer is where the hard part comes in. From my experience, I'd reckon that only about 20% of all the trainers is my city have make a living wage, which would allow them to support themselves on their training wages alone. A ton of the trainers are kids, who live at home or with roomies or go to school or have other jobs, and they don't make jack in the way of money. Also, I have to admit, may of them are vastly under-qualified. Especially the young girls. Oh sure, they passed the cert-exam, but that just meant they could memorize some stuff or are good at taking tests. A good percentage of them never even played sports or were athletes. They just thought being a trainer would be cool. The field is, alas, overrun with twits. There's a slew of "trainers who need trainers" out there.
Because of this, many gyms are now requiring advanced education for thier trainers; that is, instead of just a cert they want a BS degree in Kinesiology or Sports Science. I myself am a lifelong athlete, having played baseball, from little league to the semi-professional level, and also having ran track in high school and college.
I originally opted to get my licensure from NASM simply because Gold's payed them more per hour than they did those who got their certs from other entities. To this day, I feel that NASM is still the best cert--and also the most difficult exam to pass.
Judging from your past experience, I'd advise you to hold-off for a year or so and get in better shape and do some kinesiology studying on your own, since it appears as if your experience lays mainly in dance stuff, which, to be honest, prepares you not one whit for the knowledge and experience required to personally oversee a client's complete fitness and nutritional regimen. Also, it sounds like you're in your early 40's, and at that age--bordering on ancient in the training world! lol--a lot of places are gonna prefer that you had a lot of athletic experience in order to make-up for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness