Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 01:46 PM

20 posts, read 28,912 times

Advertisements

Your body doesn’t have a checklist of fat spots to go through in sequence. Naturally, for most men out there, the majority of their fat concentration is around their midsection (for women it’s the thighs), hence, this is where you have the most amount of fat to lose. You stomach fat doesn’t go ‘last’, it goes in tandem with the rest of your body fat, but because that area has the largest amount of fat to begin with, it will be the last spot still carrying fat around it, long after your other body areas have shed theirs.

In short, you don’t lose fat in chronological order, it just takes you less time to lose fat where you had less/smaller fat concentration, and it takes you longer to lose where you have the most fat to lose. If you have 2lbs of fat to lose around your chest area, and 25lbs of fat to lose around your midsection, which spot will clear its fat faster?

Be patient, continue on a calorie-deficit diet, and exercise. It’s not rocket science, and there is no magic formula to getting rid to stomach fat. Whatever works on your other body parts (proper diet and exercising), works on your midsection as well, it’s no different – just takes longer because you have most fat to lose from that particular area.

Be patient, small steps, one milestone at a time, and you’ll get there eventually with hard work and dedication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 06:25 AM

844 posts, read 1,443,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandido View Post
Your body doesn’t have a checklist of fat spots to go through in sequence. Naturally, for most men out there, the majority of their fat concentration is around their midsection (for women it’s the thighs), hence, this is where you have the most amount of fat to lose. You stomach fat doesn’t go ‘last’, it goes in tandem with the rest of your body fat, but because that area has the largest amount of fat to begin with, it will be the last spot still carrying fat around it, long after your other body areas have shed theirs.

In short, you don’t lose fat in chronological order, it just takes you less time to lose fat where you had less/smaller fat concentration, and it takes you longer to lose where you have the most fat to lose. If you have 2lbs of fat to lose around your chest area, and 25lbs of fat to lose around your midsection, which spot will clear its fat faster?

Be patient, continue on a calorie-deficit diet, and exercise. It’s not rocket science, and there is no magic formula to getting rid to stomach fat. Whatever works on your other body parts (proper diet and exercising), works on your midsection as well, it’s no different – just takes longer because you have most fat to lose from that particular area.

Be patient, small steps, one milestone at a time, and you’ll get there eventually with hard work and dedication.
Only women care about stomach fat.

Old 05-30-2016, 05:57 PM

876 posts, read 1,001,498 times
Quote:
Be patient, continue on a calorie-deficit diet, and exercise.
About this part, this is actually bad advice unless you are really fat. If you are merely skinny fat (bunch of stomach fat but thin arms and legs with little muscle) it's actually better to just eat exactly as much as what is needed to maintain your weight and then build muscle via weight lifting. You will gain muscle, and since muscle needs to be maintained not raising your calories will cause your body to get rid of fat instead ASSUMING your eating enough protein. This won't work forever of course, but it's actually a myth that the best way to get lean is to eat at a deficit unless you are really fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Only women care about stomach fat.
Are you for real bro?

Old 05-31-2016, 07:22 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times
Quote:

No.

4 Strategies for Losing Stubborn Fat for Good | Muscle For Life

To burn, or “mobilize,” fat, your body produces chemicals known as catecholamines. These molecules travel through your blood and “attach” to receptors on fat cells, which then triggers the release of the energy stored within the cells to be burned for energy.

Now, fat cells have two types of receptors for catecholamines: alpha- and beta-receptors. To keep this simple, beta-receptors speed up fat mobilization, whereas alpha-receptors hinder it.

And here’s the big difference between “regular” and “stubborn” fat:

Fat that is easy to lose has more beta-receptors than alpha-, and fat that is hard to lose has more alpha-receptors than beta.

This ratio of alpha- and beta-receptors in individual fat cells determines how easy or hard it is to mobilize the energy stored inside.

Thus, when you’re losing fat, you immediately start seeing reductions in fat masses with high amounts of beta-receptors, but the masses with high amounts of alpha-receptors are slow to respond.

For most of us guys, this means steady fat loss in places like our arms, shoulders, chest, face, and legs, and slower fat loss in our stomach area and lower back. For most girls, the stubborn fat is grouped in the hips, thighs, and butt.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:20 AM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Not sure where OP gets the "myth" from. I've never even heard that. And clearly it's ridiculous.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:20 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I've heard similar tales, such as, "The first place you put it on is the last to go." I agree that it's more a matter of there being more fat to lose in certain areas. On the other hand, the body does some weird things. For instance, even when I was pretty darned heavy, the minute I lost a few pounds my collarbones appeared, and I'd been padded there as elsewhere. It was so random.

These unwritten "rules" are always silly. If you're overweight then you are, and you know you need to lose the weight, who cares where it "goes" first or last? Excess is excess.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:48 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
Nice tale OP if you eat if you move that is it. There is precious time for gain weight loose weight.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:14 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
About this part, this is actually bad advice unless you are really fat. If you are merely skinny fat (bunch of stomach fat but thin arms and legs with little muscle) it's actually better to just eat exactly as much as what is needed to maintain your weight and then build muscle via weight lifting. You will gain muscle, and since muscle needs to be maintained not raising your calories will cause your body to get rid of fat instead ASSUMING your eating enough protein. This won't work forever of course, but it's actually a myth that the best way to get lean is to eat at a deficit unless you are really fat.

Are you for real bro?
Yeah, but in order to gain muscle mass, you need to eat more calories than you burn, which leads to fat gain. Those fat pockets on a skinny-fat person will likely get fatter as the person tries to build muscle. (Unless it's a novice trainer). The best scenario is to maximize muscle gain while minimizing any resultant fat gain. But fat gain will occur for most people.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:52 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Yeah, but in order to gain muscle mass, you need to eat more calories than you burn, which leads to fat gain. Those fat pockets on a skinny-fat person will likely get fatter as the person tries to build muscle. (Unless it's a novice trainer). The best scenario is to maximize muscle gain while minimizing any resultant fat gain. But fat gain will occur for most people.
Nope. A skinnyfat beginner can gain muscle even when eating at maintenance.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/cure-for-skinny-fat

Old 05-31-2016, 01:01 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
I am a woman. I have always gained and lost weight in the same order. I think it depends on your body type.

I get a fat upper body. I have never been skinny up top with fat thighs or butt. I have a friend who is just the opposite.

Of course, eventually, I am fat all over, but on the way up or down, I follow a predictable pattern.

I can't believe I just wrote that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness