Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 06:23 PM

163 posts, read 797,704 times

Advertisements

Let me begin by saying I am an intermediate level runner. On the treadmill, I do the mile in 7:30secs and have never had problems doing 2 or 3 miles at a 7mph speed. Run twice a week. (I'm a fit male, 154 pounds, body fat ratio around 15-16%)

Early this week, I went on the elliptical for about 5 minutes. Now the elliptical works out the calves much more than running. The next day I got up I found that there were about half dozen nickel sized red patches on my right calf. My calf was feeling taut and swift and the raised patches felt sore on touch.

Strange thing is it is only on the right calf. Maybe I tended to push harder with the right leg.

It's been about 3-4 days and the symptoms still remain. The skin around the red patch seem a bit scaly and sore to the touch.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Any guesses as to what is going on?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 10:40 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,724,314 times
hives? take an allergy pill and see what happens to them.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:39 PM

374 posts, read 760,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
hives? take an allergy pill and see what happens to them.

That's what I was thinking.. it sounds like a reaction to something. It really doesn't sound like an injury.

I used to have problems with one of the cleaning solutions being used at the gym. If I brushed my arm or leg against a machine that someone had just sprayed down with cleaner, I would get a little rash. Is it possible that could have happened to you?

Old 04-23-2011, 01:54 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,399,014 times
I was just going to say the same thing... a cleaning solution coming off the Elliptical? It's not a heat rash, since those go away quickly and you're used to heating up on the treadmill.

I'm interested to hear your comparison between the treadmill and ET. I run 50-60 miles a week on the treadmill and use the ET on off days or in the evening. The ET is easy on the joints but I often feel like I'm not getting that good of a workout, even when putting it on high resistance.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Thanks for all the responses. Didnt check back here for a while.

i did go to the doc and he said it was an allergy and gave me some anti-itch cream. However, the red rashes still feel sore to the touch. After a few days, I started getting swelling in both my ankles, around the tendons. I've been icing them every day but just not getting enough rest since I've a very active toddler in the house.

Now it's only the ankles that bother me, apart from some mild soreness in the calves when i do 30 minutes of standing or walking, or 45 minutes of driving.

Could it be possible I stretched some muscle or taxed a vein? I am looking for a sports medicine doctor this week.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:38 PM

Recovered from this after a 50 day bout. Turned out to be Erythema Nodosum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness