Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 07:42 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,152 times

Advertisements

Yeah, who cares? It's not like you're in it to win it, so what difference does it make? Run at a really slow pace and finish it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 08:48 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie079 View Post
I play squash perhaps twice a week and walk to lectures (20 minutes each way) everyday but apart from that i've done no training and the half marathon is in 10 days. But it's a mates birthday tonight so tomorrow will be a write off making it 9 days.

What kind of training should i do if i am to complete the 13 miles in less than 3 hours?

Cheers
The biggest concern would be an injury in the later stages of the race or in the days afterward. Even experienced internationally elite marathon runners have been known to have injuries in the half marathon. Preparation is a must. One of the most common annoying injuries that could easily happen in your case is the "calf heart attack". In this situation, the calf gets overstressed and tears badly. There are three grades: 1, 2, 3. A grade 1 takes about 10 days to recover. A grade 2 tear will take about 2-4 months. A grade 3 tear likely requires surgery and may take up to 6-8 months. You are at high risk for a grade 2 tear.

To minimize risk, I would just recommend walking most of the race and not worry about the time. It may take 3.5 hours or longer, but the odds of that calf tear are much lower. Even elite runners have had them.
Those "calf heart attacks" are awful. When my grade 2 injury occurred I remember the "pop" noise and just wilted. It took me three months before I could jog aggressively again. The scariest thing about this injury is that there is a false confidence of recovery that happens and one could get aggressive again. But the reinjury is likely and the patient has to "start all over". Calf tears are annoying.

The elite runners also are vulnerable to those injuries and it is a common occurrence even for them. So a novice is at high risk. Be careful. It would be much safer to do a 5k. You can go all out in that one and probably easily finish under 30 minutes without training.
Meb Keflezighi Pulls Out Of Boston Marathon With Calf Injury « CBS Boston

Calf Strain - Treatment, Exercises & Rehabilitation| Sportsinjuryclinic.net

Old 05-30-2017, 08:56 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
The biggest concern would be an injury in the later stages of the race or in the days afterward. Even experienced internationally elite marathon runners have been known to have injuries in the half marathon. Preparation is a must. One of the most common annoying injuries that could easily happen in your case is the "calf heart attack". In this situation, the calf gets overstressed and tears badly. There are three grades: 1, 2, 3. A grade 1 takes about 10 days to recover. A grade 2 tear will take about 2-4 months. A grade 3 tear likely requires surgery and may take up to 6-8 months. You are at high risk for a grade 2 tear.

To minimize risk, I would just recommend walking most of the race and not worry about the time. It may take 3.5 hours or longer, but the odds of that calf tear are much lower. Even elite runners have had them.
Those "calf heart attacks" are awful. When my grade 2 injury occurred I remember the "pop" noise and just wilted. It took me three months before I could jog aggressively again. The scariest thing about this injury is that there is a false confidence of recovery that happens and one could get aggressive again. But the reinjury is likely and the patient has to "start all over". Calf tears are annoying.

The elite runners also are vulnerable to those injuries and it is a common occurrence even for them. So a novice is at high risk. Be careful. It would be much safer to do a 5k. You can go all out in that one and probably easily finish under 30 minutes without training.
Meb Keflezighi Pulls Out Of Boston Marathon With Calf Injury « CBS Boston

Calf Strain - Treatment, Exercises & Rehabilitation| Sportsinjuryclinic.net
The post you responded to is over 6 years old

Old 06-03-2017, 09:16 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
Quite frankly, regardless of age, running a 1/2 marathon without proper training is not a good idea!

Old 06-03-2017, 10:01 PM

325 posts, read 371,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie079 View Post
I play squash perhaps twice a week and walk to lectures (20 minutes each way) everyday but apart from that i've done no training and the half marathon is in 10 days. But it's a mates birthday tonight so tomorrow will be a write off making it 9 days.

What kind of training should i do if i am to complete the 13 miles in less than 3 hours?

Cheers
Good luck with that.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:06 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
lol.. if you don't at least jog regularly you're going to have a hell of a time doing 13 miles. Good luck.. lol ... edit, oh, another necro post brought back from the dead.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:21 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
You can WALK the whole distance in 3 hours but if you're not in shape you won't even be able to do that. A half marathon in three hours is considered extremely slow. In most of the half marathons I've run, they sweep the course by then and anyone who finished after 3 hours doesn't get a finishing certificate or medal, but your chip time will be tabulated.

You have no one to "blame" by yourself. Who starts training for this race a week and a half ahead of time? If you're planning on running it, forget it. The chances of injury are huge.
Uh no. A 15 min mile pace is a damn fast walk, unless you have very long legs. Doubtful that someone with no training is going to be able to keep that pace up for 13 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness