Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,119,217 times

Advertisements

I know that man probably fell out after performing that feat of strength/endurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 01:26 PM

506 posts, read 1,313,266 times
You stimulate more testosterone production when you do lower body workouts because those muscles are the largest in your body. This helps all muscle growth throughout your body.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:31 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,891 times
Benched 245 today. Thanks leg workouts!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:37 PM

910 posts, read 1,676,400 times
I just started doing legs again and can see and feel a difference in my upper body as well.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:25 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,537,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
" I squat to make my arms grow"
-Tom "Mr Legs" Platz-1989

500 lbs--23 reps!

The Golden Eagle!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Swell View Post
I started doing more leg workouts like squats two months ago and it has improved my upper body strength quickly. Today, I benched 2 reps of 225 lbs. Haven't done that since I was 20. It's also helped improve things like pull ups and deadlift.

Anyways, I recommend doing exercises like squats to improve your overall strength.

Has this helped anyone else?
Yes - absolutely - and I wish I would have learned this much younger in life. Squats and Deadlifts have helped my overall fitness (including my upper body strength) tremendously the past year. I've heard multiple reasons and don't know what is actually true (I've heard they increase testosterone, and I've heard they help your nervous system, and I've heard they just use a lot of muscles in your body). I just know that I've never made the strength gains, the body fat loss, and the bodybuilding gains I'm making now with these two exercises in my routine.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Swell View Post
Has this helped anyone else?
Yes, I recently discovered the virtues of working out the legs. Squats and deadlifts are great for the core. I don't usually target abs but I've noticed a lot of defininition since I started on legs.

All the muscles really are just one interconnected web.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,998 times
I just started working out. I did legs for frist time and it was very painful. How often do I need to work my legs so that they Dnt stay so sore

Old 10-06-2013, 07:07 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,660 times
Quote:
I started doing more leg workouts like squats two months ago and it has improved my upper body strength quickly. Today, I benched 2 reps of 225 lbs. Haven't done that since I was 20. It's also helped improve things like pull ups and deadlift.
Well, maybe.

1. Did the rest of your routine (including all upper-body work) remained exactly the same, and the only difference are the squats?
2. Did you make any changes in your diet?
3. Any changes to you rest periods during and after the workouts?
4. Any extra sleep, any additional supplements you started taking?
5. Was it a "once-upon-a-time" accomplishment (can you consistently bench the new amount now)?

If you answer YES to 1. and NO to 2-5 all, then your experiment strongly indicates that in this specific case squats increased upper body strength. Otherwise, this would be a case of improperly conducted experiment, where outside parameters biased the result. And if your experiment is indeed valid, all the concurring voices here amount to Anecdotal_evidence

For properly conducted experiments in sport and exercise science, including the effect of squats, go here http://www.jssm.org/

Last edited by skiffrace; 10-06-2013 at 07:16 AM..

Old 10-06-2013, 10:02 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewhill29 View Post
I just started working out. I did legs for frist time and it was very painful. How often do I need to work my legs so that they Dnt stay so sore
I get extremely sore from squats if I go longer than around 6 days without doing them. I'm currently in that situation with an IT band injury and will just have to bite the bullet after my next leg workout. I'll probably cut the weight and only go to about 2-3 reps short of failure for the first workout. You probably want to shoot for 2-3 leg workouts a week as a beginner. Some people don't do squats and deadlifts on the same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness