Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 06:29 PM

295 posts, read 1,448,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
With Crossfit, there is that pressure in the group setting not to quit or use reduced weights even if one is not up to the level in terms of strength and endurance.
Charles Barkley is doing Crossfit at a public facility, and looks HORRIBLE and weak (way worse than his golf swing). Nobody in the Crossfit facility or in the public Crossfit blogs gives him anything but positive feedback. Of course, his co-anchors tear him apart because a young girl put him to shame in a timed event that was filmed.

It doesn't matter if you are using Insanity, P90X, Boot Camps, Crossfit, or going to globo-gyms every other day for an Arnold-inspired weigh-lifting session; if you are serious about getting in shape, and put forth the effort and time required to do just that, YOU will become your worst (only only) critic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 AM

3,011 posts, read 6,293,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I have not experienced that at all with regards to any of the 3 CrossFit gyms I've been to (NC, VA and MO). Pressure not to quit, certainly - encouragement to push yourself is a big benefit to working out in ANY group setting. I've never seen anyone pressured *not* to scale the excercises in accordance to their ability, however.

That is one of the very best things about CrossFit, IMO - the ease of scaling any of the routines to fit the individual abilities.

I've done 3 workouts this week and I've scaled something in each one (hand-stand push-ups are the bane of my existence) and haven't been pressured in any way.
Maybe I worded it wrong. I suppose it's that "internal" pressure in all of us..

Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 AM

866 posts, read 2,622,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Has anyone tried modifying the P90X or Insanity schedule by doing it two or three days a week? I would like to try one of them but I don't think I can commit to the program 5-6 days a week since I still want to play hockey and go for a couple runs each week.

Is this possible or am I setting myself up for failure? I'm in better shape than the average Joe but I'm also not going to be doing a triathalon any time soon.
I'm no fitness expert, but I suspect that if you did P90X or Insanity 3 days a week in addition to running and playing hockey and followed a strict healthy eating plan, you could still achieve great results. When you read the success stories for P90X and Insanity, everyone with the best results always stresses the importance of nutrition.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:33 PM

26 posts, read 27,299 times
I have done Insanity (a few times) and just finished the newest version The Asylum. Great workouts. As the poster above said, nutrition is really the key to getting the results you want. Eat like crap, work out like mad, still have too much body fat and no true health.

To the OP, I get to work out with Shaun T next month. You think Insanity is tough, his live workouts are amazingly more brutal. The guy is just relentless and pushes you beyond what your mind tells you that you can accomplish. When you're done, you know you've pushed your limits.

Rick

Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,981,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
Has anyone tried modifying the P90X or Insanity schedule by doing it two or three days a week? I would like to try one of them but I don't think I can commit to the program 5-6 days a week since I still want to play hockey and go for a couple runs each week.

Is this possible or am I setting myself up for failure? I'm in better shape than the average Joe but I'm also not going to be doing a triathalon any time soon.
You could definitely do 3 days a week and continue with your other activities (hockey and running.)

I would recommend doing the weight training exercises (chest/back, shoulders/arms in phase 1 and chest/shoulders/tris and back/bis in phase 2) and then yoga. You could substitute legs/back for Yoga.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:56 AM

204 posts, read 873,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojurick View Post
I have done Insanity (a few times) and just finished the newest version The Asylum. Great workouts. As the poster above said, nutrition is really the key to getting the results you want. Eat like crap, work out like mad, still have too much body fat and no true health.

To the OP, I get to work out with Shaun T next month. You think Insanity is tough, his live workouts are amazingly more brutal. The guy is just relentless and pushes you beyond what your mind tells you that you can accomplish. When you're done, you know you've pushed your limits.

Rick
How is Asylum? I've been doing a P90X/Insanity hybrid for the past 3 or 4 months. I've only in the past couple of weeks began to do the "max" insanity videos but i am def looking forward to switching things up again soon. Is it the same format as Insanity but with different moves or what?

And congrats on getting to work out with him; that'd be an awesome and I'm sure crazy workout!

Old 05-26-2011, 06:48 PM

28,355 posts, read 16,317,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Maybe I worded it wrong. I suppose it's that "internal" pressure in all of us..

Ah, now I see what you meant. One of my coaches likes to say: "Check your pride at the door - somewhere there is a high school kid that warms up with your PR..."

Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 PM

24 posts, read 50,318 times
wow, good luck to you. I have been trying on and off to do P90X for years and have nver managed to complete the entire program. I can only imagine how tough insanity is gonna be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness