Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 12:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
And how well is this approach working? It's not about political correctness. There are people who are saying the same thing without being as tactless as him.
unfortunately, the gentle nice approach and the blunt truth approach both dont work very well because it is almost impossible to convince someone to diet if they dont really want to do it for themselves. like i said before, i wish i knew of an approach that works because i would use it on people who i know personally and would like to change their diets. my grandpa changed his diet after his second heart attack, it would be better to do it before that point.

one thing i like to do is keep it simple. i dont want to complicate this weight loss by worrying about low-carb, getting enough of x, eating organic, etc. etc. just simple rules like eat less calories and write out what you will eat in a day and dont stray. i recall earlier in the thread CAVA (who i know loves a low carb approach) suggested not eating too many carrots and i responded by saying that for breakfast this girl is eating everything except the kitchen sink and you are telling her not to eat too many carrots. what i would say is if she is eating bacon and sausage for breakfast, start by cutting out the sausage.

and i appreciate people's support for my manner. i understand i can be harsh, insenstive and a jerk but im a beefcake stud muffin so i can say and do whatever i want.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 PM

992 posts, read 2,373,063 times
IF and WHEN the time comes for OP to get serious and be OVER it, then all of this will make sense. It's so basic, but the WANT has to be there...trust me, I've been the big girl before and when I had that urge to eat ice cream or something else horrible for me, I think ahead....what is the reward? I will feel like crap later...I'm tired of letting myself down. A HUGE portion of weight loss is mental. I never gave a damm about how I looked on that treadmill, running, and talking myself through the finish.

When you're mentally ready, your body will follow. Train your brain. The pity party is over and the real work has to beging. And it is WORK. It ain't easy, but once you've reached your goal, THEN you can give a big Eff You to all of those that doubted you.

Just please don't do any of those weight loss surgeries....those are a waste. My sister in law did lap band, and well, she's still fat b/c she eats cocoa pebbles all day long.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:23 PM

165 posts, read 405,770 times
Remember, nothing tastes as good as being fit and in shape feels!

Old 07-13-2011, 05:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,643 times
Hi everyone this is what I ate today:

Honey Bunches of Oats with Raisins - 1 cup with strawberry Nesquik Milk
1 whole orange
1 Strawberry Activia yogurt

Lunch
Red Barron Pizza 2 slices
Crystal Light Water

Snack
1 whole orange

Dinner
1 baked turkey leg
Mac n cheese made with low fat Kraft cheese
Crystal light water

Exercise I walked briskly (with a few breaks and water in between) for approx. 45 mins. Rode the 4 wheeler back to the house because I was tired.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:10 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post

Honey Bunches of Oats with Raisins - 1 cup
CAL 200, FAT 2, PROT 3, CARB 42

strawberry Nesquik Milk
CAL 180, FAT 2.5, PROT 8, CARB 31 - very high in sugar.

1 whole orange
CAL 62, FAT .2, PROT 1.2, CARB 15.4

CAL 120, FAT 2, PROT 4, CARB 22

Lunch
per slice:CAL 340-380, FAT 13, PROT 16, CARB 41, SOD 780 - 990
x 2 slices = CAL 760, FAT 26, PROT 32, CARB 82,SOD 1,980

Crystal Light Water

Snack
1 whole orange
CAL 62, FAT .2, PROT 1.2, CARB 15.4

Dinner
1 baked turkey leg (assuming entire leg = 1.2 lbs cooked)
CAL 1133, FAT 53.6, PROT 152, CARB 0

Mac n cheese made with low fat Kraft cheese (I could only find nutrition for regular cheese)
CAL 259, FAT 3, PROT 11, CARB 48, SOD 1,760mg (ouch!!!)

Crystal light water

Exercise I walked briskly (with a few breaks and water in between) for approx. 45 mins. Rode the 4 wheeler back to the house because I was tired.
Total Calories: 200 + 180 + 120 + 62 + 760 + 62 + 1133 + 259 = 2776

The above 2776 calories will maintain a 277.6 lb weight, since you need to consume approximately 10 x your desired weight in calories each day.

If you want to weigh 150, you need to cut your calories in half, down to around 1,500 per day.

You will not lose any weight if you eat 2700+ calories per day.

Your 45 minute brisk walk burned between 400-500 calories, assuming your weight is 275, using this website:

Calories Burned - Exercise Calculator

I would also be very concerned about eating too much sodium with your high blood pressure

2 slices of pizza: 2,000mg
mac and cheese: 1,760mg
Turkey Leg: 466mg
TOTAL SODIUM: 4,226mg

According to this website, you should be consuming no more than 1500mg of sodium per day:

How Much Sodium Per Day With High Blood Pressure? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Some things I would change from your above menu, is instead of eating an entire turkey leg, just get packaged turkey breast deli slices (98% fat free), and eat maybe 2-4 slices of that per day. They have only 30 cals per slice.

Instead of pizza, eat fat free cottage cheese, and maybe a salad with fat free dressing.

Instead of Strawberry milk, use skim milk.

Instead of mac & cheese, find a different food with less sodium.

And another way to cut your calories in half ... just eat 1/2 portions of the above foods. Half a turkey leg, 1 slice of pizza, etc.

However, I would still replace high sodium foods, with lower sodium foods.

Keep posting your daily food counts each day, and I'll do my best to break down the nutrition and calorie counts.

Last edited by RD5050; 07-13-2011 at 07:31 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Total Calories: 200 + 180 + 120 + 62 + 760 + 62 + 1133 + 259 = 2776

The above 2776 calories will maintain a 277.6 lb weight, since you need to consume approximately 10 x your desired weight in calories each day.

If you want to weigh 150, you need to cut your calories in half, down to around 1,500 per day.

You will not lose any weight if you eat 2700+ calories per day.

Your 45 minute brisk walk burned between 400-500 calories, assuming your weight is 275, using this website:

Calories Burned - Exercise Calculator

I would also be very concerned about eating too much sodium with your high blood pressure

2 slices of pizza: 2,000mg
mac and cheese: 1,760mg
Turkey Leg: 466mg
TOTAL SODIUM: 4,226mg

According to this website, you should be consuming no more than 1500mg of sodium per day:

How Much Sodium Per Day With High Blood Pressure? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Some things I would change from your above menu, is instead of eating an entire turkey leg, just get packaged turkey breast deli slices (98% fat free), and eat maybe 2-4 slices of that per day. They have only 30 cals per slice.

Instead of pizza, eat fat free cottage cheese, and maybe a salad with fat free dressing.

Instead of Strawberry milk, use skim milk.

Instead of mac & cheese, find a different food with less sodium.

And another way to cut your calories in half ... just eat 1/2 portions of the above foods. Half a turkey leg, 1 slice of pizza, etc.

However, I would still replace high sodium foods, with lower sodium foods.

Keep posting your daily food counts each day, and I'll do my best to break down the nutrition and calorie counts.
Thank you for doing this for me. It really helped. I never knew the turkey leg had that much calories in them and I guess the estimate didn't count the seasonings I put on the turkey legs, but overall was accurate.

About the turkey slices, would'nt be better to just go ahead and prepare a sandwich with it? Just 1 or 2 slices on whole wheat bread, 1 serving low fat mayo, and fat free cheese and have that for lunch?

I will try to cut back on the sodium too as well thank you again. Also I should be getting the kitchen scale this weekend on Saturday or Sunday.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Quote:
Thank you for doing this for me. It really helped. I never knew the turkey leg had that much calories in them and I guess the estimate didn't count the seasonings I put on the turkey legs, but overall was accurate.

About the turkey slices, would'nt be better to just go ahead and prepare a sandwich with it? Just 1 or 2 slices on whole wheat bread, 1 serving low fat mayo, and fat free cheese and have that for lunch?

I will try to cut back on the sodium too as well thank you again. Also I should be getting the kitchen scale this weekend on Saturday or Sunday.
Glad I could help.

Yes, feel free to make a deli turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread. But remember each slice of bread is around 100 calories, so factor that in to your calorie totals for the day.

You don't need to count calories for veggies on sandwiches (slice of tomato, etc), since the calories are minimal. Same with seasonings and spices.

Your new kitchen scale will allow you to measure your food portions, which is extremely important for counting calories. Think of it as the ultimate present for yourself. Once you have your food portion sizes and calorie counts under control, your weight will start coming off every single day.

Keep listing your daily foods, and I'll continue to do the calorie counts, etc.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:07 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
I didn't see any vegetables or much fiber on the menu. Too much sugar.

I'd recommend you go to the library and check out a book on proper nutrition that has menus in it along with one on cooking techniques. A good rule of thumb is your plate should have 2/3 fruits and vegetables and 1/3 protein/fat. You also need to train yourself not to crave sweets. Throw the crystal light in the garbage and drink plain water with your meals. Don't eat anything processed, only fresh (which is why you'll need to teach yourself how to cook).

Last edited by CAVA1990; 07-14-2011 at 05:55 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 05:56 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
No veggies at all on that menu. You're basically starving yourself, while getting fatter and fatter and fatter. Starving yourself of nutrition, gorging yourself on fat.

How many of us have suggested lowering your fat and carb intake, and adding veggies? And you've followed our advice, how, exactly?

You haven't. You have done nothing but make excuses as to why you CAN'T follow sound advice on getting healthy again.

You don't want to take care of yourself. You want other people to take care of you. After how many pages of advice, that you ignored, you posted that list of things you eat.

Mac and cheese, while you're trying to lose 100 pounds? Really? A *turkey* leg? How about switching that turkey leg to *a* slice of chicken breast, without the skin? Are you kidding me? You didn't have the energy to google in a calorie count or fat content list on the stuff you eat, and realize you're eating yourself to death?

No, it's not okay to eat a sandwich for lunch. For most people, it is, because for most people, they have some basic understanding of what goes into a sandwich. For you though, you should have a salad for lunch. Made with as much romaine, baby spinach, endive, and red-leaf lettuce as you think you can shovel down your throat in a big plastic bag. Add 2 *measured* teaspoons of roasted sunflower seeds, UNSALTED. Add 1 fresh ripe tomato, chopped into bite-sized chunks. Add a strip of chicken or turkey, roasted, skinless, as fat and as long as your middle finger, cut into bite-sized chunks. Add a little cracked black pepper, no salt. Add a 1/4 inch-thick strip of part-skim mozarrella off of a store-bought chunk, cut into small bits.

For dressing, pour a *measured* tablespoon of olive oil, and a teaspoon of red wine or garlic vinegar, into the bag. Twist the top of the bag, then shake the bag vigorously, and pour the whole thing in a big salad bowl.

It takes less than 5 minutes, involves no cooking at all, includes deli foods and cheese and all the delicious things that food-junkies love (including myself), is incredibly filling, astoundingly nutritious, and is low fat, low carb, low sodium, without being "diet" food.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:17 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:

Honey Bunches of Oats with Raisins - 1 cup with strawberry Nesquik Milk
1 whole orange

Lunch
Crystal Light Water

Snack
1 whole orange

Dinner
1 baked turkey leg
Mac n cheese made with low fat Kraft cheese
Crystal light water

how do you find this as far as satisfying your hunger? its not a terrible starting point. the things you will want to modify would be replacing the strawberry nesquick milk with skim milk, replacing pizza with something normal (pizza is to be a rare treat), replacing the turkey leg with 8oz boneless skinless chicken breast. those are the first changes, then you can move onto other aspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness