Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 11:28 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times

Advertisements

Here is the food I ate yesterday, so you can use it for a comparison to your food choices:

Morning
Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds - 1 cup (we share the same choices in cereal)
CAL 175, FAT 3, PROT 2.7, CARB 34

Skim Milk - 1/2 cup
CAL 45, FAT 0, PROT 4.5, CARB 6

OJ - 1/2 cup
CAL 55, FAT 0, PROT 1, CARB 13

Fat Free Cottage Cheese - 1/4 cup
CAL 35, FAT 0, PROT 6.5, CARB 2.5

Afternoon
Turkey Breast Sandwich on Whole Wheat Bread (2 slices turkey) + spinach leaves, tomato, cucumber, onion, fat free dressing
CAL 260, FAT 2, PROT 18, CARB 42

Apple
CAL 81, FAT .5, PROT .3, CARB 21

Baby Carrots - approx 10
CAL 35, FAT 0, PROT 1, CARB 8

Almonds - approx 20
CAL 163, FAT 14, PROT 6, CARB 6.1

Fat Free Yogurt - 6oz
CAL 80, FAT 0, PROT 7, CARB 11

Evening
Grilled Skinless/Boneless Chicken Breast - 4oz + bell peppers + onions + pasta sauce (see below) - grilled in non-stick pan with no oil or grease
CAL 110, FAT 2.5, PROT 23, CARB 0

Pasta Sauce - 1/4 cup
CAL 40, FAT 1, PROT 1, CARB 6.5

Small Watermellon Slice (3" x 1")
CAL 35, FAT .5, PROT .75, CARB 9

TOTALS FOR ENTIRE DAY:
CALORIES = 1,114

FAT = 23.5 which equals 9% of total
PROT = 71.75 which equals 28% of total
CARB = 159.1 which equals 62% of total

Normally I eat around 1300 - 1500 cals per day, but I ate a little more the day before (1700) since I worked out at the gym for 1.5 hours, so I ate a little less the next day (1,114). By eating less, I lost 3 lbs when I compared my weight from the day before. I am currently just 2.5 lbs from my goal weight! I have lost 26lbs since I started back in January, and have added muscle as well since I have been lifting heavy weights. Am down to a 30.5" waist, at 10.95% body fat. Started at 34" waist back in January.

So you can see that by eating less calories, you will lose weight.

Another thing, eat the majority of your calories in the morning and early afternoon, and the least in the evening.

(*) Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince, Supper like a Pauper

The reason is you want to burn off most of your calories during the daytime, is when you go to sleep, you will already have burned off what you ate that day. Otherwise you will go to sleep on a full stomach, and the calories in your stomach will ultimately turn into more fat.

And try to spread your day's calories over the entire day so you eat approximately 200 - 300 calories at a time every 2 - 3 hours, for a total of around 6 smaller meals, instead of 3 bigger meals.

I realize that your family probably has it's big meal in the evening, but you need to change your own eating habits so they don't mimic your family. I believe you mentioned your family is also overweight, so that is the best reason to not eat like them. Obviously what they are doing is wrong if they are all overweight. So instead, lose a lot of weight yourself by practicing good eating habits (*), and then set an example so your family will want to mimic you!

And like others mentioned above, include several servings of vegetables each day, as well as foods that are high in fiber, such as whole grain cereals, and dark green vegetables.

Also try to completely eliminate foods like pizza from your diet. They tend to be high in calories, fat and especially sodium.

I'll be looking forward to your current day's food so I can provide another nutrition/calories breakdown.

Last edited by RD5050; 07-14-2011 at 11:40 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 01:14 PM

274 posts, read 370,882 times
I don't want to confuse the OP by offering contradictary advice, but from a low-carber/zero-carber perspective, the only thing of any value on that menu from yesterday was the turkey leg. Obese people need lots of protein and lots of fat (preferably saturated fat) to lose weight, with very low amounts of carbs. Sodium isn't really such a big deal compared to sugar, not that it's a good idea to load up on that either. But if you're eating unprocessed, fatty protein, you won't be eating tons of salt anyway.

Counting calories doesn't really help the body to switch from fat storing to fat burning, but I'm not going to bash it because I know it's important to do whatever works for you in the beginning!

Last edited by datacity12; 07-14-2011 at 01:22 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 01:39 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity12 View Post
I don't want to confuse the OP by offering contradictary advice, but from a low-carber/zero-carber perspective, the only thing of any value on that menu from yesterday was the turkey leg. Obese people need lots of protein and lots of fat (preferably saturated fat) to lose weight, with very low amounts of carbs. Sodium isn't really such a big deal compared to sugar, not that it's a good idea to load up on that either. But if you're eating unprocessed, fatty protein, you won't be eating tons of salt anyway.

Counting calories doesn't really help the body to switch from fat storing to fat burning, but I'm not going to bash it because I know it's important to do whatever works for you in the beginning!
Eating lots of sodium when you're *already* on high blood-pressure meds is a horrible idea, though.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:41 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:

this is ridiculous to me. first of all, does anyone do a zero carb diet forever? why not just do a diet that you can maintain for your entire life? there is nothing i cant eat in my diet.

on top of that, does anyone actually think treasuredjewel is going to do a zero carb diet? i dont see that as having any possibility on earth. so why bother with the zero carb advice?

then the last statement makes no sense. your body is always burning calories. its not like you flip a switch from "store fat" to "burn fat." if your body is maintaining your life, its burning calories. if you want to lose weight, just eat/drink less calories than your body is burning.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Eating lots of sodium when you're *already* on high blood-pressure meds is a horrible idea, though.
Right, well if the rest of the diet stayed the same, you'd naturally want to cut back on the sodium, but if you're on a diet that includes unprocessed protein and fat, and avoids carbs, that's all going to take care of itself.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 PM

CaptainNJ: I can see that you've posted something, but I can't see what it is because I have you on Ignore. I suggest you do the same with me so you don't see my posts either.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Right, well if the rest of the diet stayed the same, you'd naturally want to cut back on the sodium, but if you're on a diet that includes unprocessed protein and fat, and avoids carbs, that's all going to take care of itself.
unless the person adds salt to the unprocessed meats for flavor.

i dont understand why datacity posts diet advice, she is obviously clueless about the subject.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:

Is the OP on any such diet? Remember, this thread is about HER diet specifically.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:31 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
I just read through all 32 pages. I have to say reading about fried chicken, mac and cheese and pizza is NOT helping my own diet! lol

OP, I truly feel for you. I am overweight and this was in a family of mostly thin people with parents that served healthy meals. I used to sneak cookies and ice cream in the middle of the night. I can't IMAGINE how hard it would be to be raised in a family surrounded by all that temptation and taking steps to try to improve. GOOD FOR YOU!

I lost 4 lbs this week but I'm hungry all the time. I know what you mean about loving food. My husband is about 400 lbs and he is an excellent cook (too bad for me!) and now that I am dieting, I am always hungry. But I think this will get better as my stomach shrinks (right guys??? - please say yes!)

Anyway, I wanted to say good luck, don't give up! Put the haters on ignore. I can't imagine how discouraging and counterproductive it is. I know how frustrated they are. I worry every single day that I will suddenly lose my husband. It's very difficult to watch someone eat themselves to death. But part of my diet plan is to be a good role model for him.

Here's what I ingested today (I'm not going to say eat, that word invokes a feeling of pleasure in me. I'm trying to think of food as SIMPLY FUEL)

10 carrot slices
1 60 calorie pack of dried apricots
1 banana
1 frozen entree (Lean Cuisine chicken enchiladas suiza)
1 Monster Rehab
water water water
1 cup of green tea
1 cup of non-fat yogurt
(I will probably have a bowl of Smart Start cereal with fresh blueberries and skim milk for dinner)

Old 07-14-2011, 03:48 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I just read through all 32 pages. I have to say reading about fried chicken, mac and cheese and pizza is NOT helping my own diet! lol

OP, I truly feel for you. I am overweight and this was in a family of mostly thin people with parents that served healthy meals. I used to sneak cookies and ice cream in the middle of the night. I can't IMAGINE how hard it would be to be raised in a family surrounded by all that temptation and taking steps to try to improve. GOOD FOR YOU!

I lost 4 lbs this week but I'm hungry all the time. I know what you mean about loving food. My husband is about 400 lbs and he is an excellent cook (too bad for me!) and now that I am dieting, I am always hungry. But I think this will get better as my stomach shrinks (right guys??? - please say yes!)

Anyway, I wanted to say good luck, don't give up! Put the haters on ignore. I can't imagine how discouraging and counterproductive it is. I know how frustrated they are. I worry every single day that I will suddenly lose my husband. It's very difficult to watch someone eat themselves to death. But part of my diet plan is to be a good role model for him.

Here's what I ingested today (I'm not going to say eat, that word invokes a feeling of pleasure in me. I'm trying to think of food as SIMPLY FUEL)

10 carrot slices
1 60 calorie pack of dried apricots
1 banana
1 frozen entree (Lean Cuisine chicken enchiladas suiza)
1 Monster Rehab
water water water
1 cup of green tea
1 cup of non-fat yogurt
(I will probably have a bowl of Smart Start cereal with fresh blueberries and skim milk for dinner)
First, congratulations to you on losing 4 pounds. That's a great start.

Having said that, I'm not surprised that you're hungry all the time. I don't think you're eating enough. Are you counting the calories in what you're consuming? You should be eating a minimum of 1,200 calories a day and you don't appear to be close to that. If you're following a plan that you know to be healthy and effective, then never mind. But I would add some lean protein (sliced turkey or chicken breast), some fiber (a serving of a high fiber cereal maybe) and some more veggies into your diet. Starving yourself is counter-productive because you'll cause your metabolism to slow down and you won't be able to stand being hungry all the time.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness