Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 01:37 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,949,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Sticking to my plans is already becoming difficult. The fact that my family continues to devour fried chicken, pies, and other good food while I sit there eating a bland salad doesn;t help it either. I don't think that I will ever get over my cravings for fried foods, fast food, sweets, or sodas. They will always taste delicious to me and I will always pick a cheeseburger over a salad. I will always pick cupcakes over carrots and will always pick Coke over water. Sorry but that is the honest truth.

Sticking to my plans is already becoming difficult. The fact that my family continues to devour fried chicken, pies, and other good food while I sit there eating a bland salad doesn't help it either.
You will get past your cravings once you've completely stopped eating unhealthy foods for a few months. The main thing is to not continue eating them, even a little. Give them up 100%. In the end, you will be glad you did. If you sneak a hamburger every once in a while, or something you know is unhealthy, you will be back to eating hamburgers regularly in no time. It's like anything that you become addicted to. The only real way to end an addiction is to go "cold turkey".

Last year, my diet was very different than it is today. Although I tried to eat somewhat healthy, I still allowed myself to eat fast food and Mexican food a few times a week. I used to love to eat huge Mexican chicken burritos, $5 Pepperoni Pizza at Little Caesars, Subway Footlong sandwiches, and hamburgers at McDonalds, Jack In the Box and Carls Jr.

It's been more than 6 months since I last ate the above foods, and today I don't even think about these foods anymore. I drive past all these fast food restaurants and don't even give their food a second thought. I even make up names to remind me how unhealthy their food is, such as "Junk In The Box".

After you've stopped eating fast food for a few months, you no longer miss it. You simply become used to your new healthy diet, and you totally forget about the junk food which made you overweight.

So once again ... don't cheat. Make a complete break from unhealthy foods. Don't give in to temptation. In a few months, when you start to see the pounds disappear, and you start feeling more healthy and energetic, you will never want to enter a McDonald's ever again.

Also, don't starve yourself by waiting several hours to eat, and then just having a small salad as a meal. A small salad contains very little calories, and is really not going to fully satisfy your hunger. What you should do is eat smaller meals with around 200 - 300 calories each every few hours. So for example, have a small bowl of cereal for breakfast (1 serving, with 1 cup skim milk). Then two hours later, have a piece of fruit, and maybe a 6oz yogurt. Then two hours later have a small lunch (maybe a turkey breast deli sandwich made with veggies like tomato, cucumber, spinach leafs). Then two hours later, maybe another piece of fruit and cottage cheese. Then when you eat the salad, have it with a few slices of turkey breast, a few ounces of cooked chicken breast, a small serving of pasta, pinto beans, or some other healthy food containing protein. These are several of my typical food choices, and are just examples of how to eat small and healthy meals. You should pick the healthy foods that you like to eat. The main idea is to spread out your meals all day long and keep them small and healthy. By the end of the day, your hunger will be completely satisfied, and you will have only eaten around 1500 calories, or whatever daily calorie limit your doctor recommends.

Last edited by RD5050; 07-25-2011 at 02:26 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 01:58 PM

1,349 posts, read 658,612 times
I will always pick a cheeseburger over a salad. I will always pick cupcakes over carrots and will always pick Coke over water. Sorry but that is the honest truth.

Why would you be sorry for that?

I'd pick a great T-bone american steak over any french steak-frites (regardless of the hormones, I totally take that ) but also I'd pick any morroccan carrot with coriander salad over lamb morroccan meatballs .

Why not everything? Everyday? Then you'll learn to love all of those and listen to what you need... Once you stop dieting, you'll keep your weight easily.

I understand we don't start from the same point. But hey? you're 18, 'm nearly 37,

Why would it impossible for you to imagine that a great meal in small quantities could satisfy you less more than a processed meal in big quantities?

But you have to get to that point, that is true. And it cannot be easy. But see how much support your courage and persistence generated? wow, i mean wow, coming from the first responses to your op! Go girl!

(and an advice I can give you? I never had weight problems as troublesome as you but I used to jump up and down 30 pounds more or less, never knowing exactly how I hadn't seen it coming, until about 10 years ago when I started making my job "eat for money "
Remember that, when you've reached your goal or any steps in the meantime until your goal, okay ? and it's girl's advice Throw out any clothes bigger than what suits you. As soon as too big,you give to those who need them. Believe me, when you have nothing to wear and are short for money, you do stop down on eating bad things! And what is really quality or needs to be kept for emotional reasons, you have it altered. Doesn't seem so but you'll both save money and not ever reach that point again! it's so easier to lose 5 pounds than 100 when otherwise you go naked )

In french language, I would say, "tu me touches" but it could be very badly interpreted in english and "you move me" just seems wrong

Old 07-26-2011, 04:06 AM

19,954 posts, read 29,993,449 times
No food in the world, tastes as good as being thinner

Old 07-26-2011, 07:19 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,116,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
No food in the world, tastes as good as being thinner
Or as I think about it: I like Italian suits more than chocolate cake.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:41 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,732,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you're feeling a general ache in the muscles, it means your body is reacting to the exercise. And that's a good thing! If it's sharp pains, or deep throbbing, or accompanied by bruising, you'll probably want to check those with a doctor soon as you can get in to see him. Make sure there's no injuries going on.
LOL no, it's just an aching in both of my legs. Nothing serious, but it does get annoying especially when I am laying in bed and out in public walking. I at first thought it was me getting taller, but I finally realized it was from the treadmill.
Quote:
You need to talk to your mom. I mean REALLY talk to her. Not while she's eating, not while she's cooking. Tell her how afraid you are of everyone getting sick and dying from being fat, tell her that you know some of them already are sick with hypertension, heart problems, whatever other things you know about your family's medical situation. Tell her that you don't want to end up like that, and you don't want her to die before she gets to see her grandkids some day.

Tell her you don't expect them all to suddenly become hippie macrobiotic organic farmers or anything like that, but that you, and your family, MUST start eating healthier. Healthy people don't have diabetes. Healthy people don't have heart problems, and healthy people don't have hypertension.
The thing is she knows she is eating unhealthy and is complaining about knee pain and her "body shutting down". She thinks its the weight but it is probably due to old age and menopause.

Quote:
The fact is, the foods you and your family are eating, are slowly killing you all. It's poisoning your blood and veins and heart and digestive system, causing your organs to work overtime until they just can't catch up. It's adding weight to your skeletal system that your skeletal system -cannot- handle; it will ultimately contribute to severe knee and back and hip problems. That is if your heart doesn't fail first.

You are killing yourself with your food choices. And your mother is killing her family by refusing to make a change. Tell her this. Tell her you don't want to die, you want to live, and you want her to live, and the rest of your family. Tell her that you want all of you to enjoy food, but in a more responsble way. Tell her that you want to work WITH her to help her feed her family delicious foods that won't kill them.

If you can get the doctor to tell her this as well, so much the better. If none of your family had health problems, there'd be nothing to say. But they do, and so do you, and therefore something MUST change or else the medical problems are going to escalate until someone dies.
I prepare most if not all food for the family. I am proud of myself for not giving in to temptation when I am preparing the fried chicken right before my eyes. You don't know how it feels to have all that chicken on a big plate just sitting there and the aroma alone is making my mouth water. I am limiting the amount of salt that I put on their food but it would be better if we didn't eat this kind of stuff every night. All of my brothers are already complaining about the food tasting dry, and I completely understand them. I have always hated bland foods and could never eat a sandwich without mayo or a burger without cheese and ketchup,unless it was a dire emergency.

Anyway

She goes to the Dr and he says she needs to loose weight, but she just never does. Like me, she takes blood pressure medicine everyday. And we always go to the Dr at least once or twice a month. And get told the same thing everytime, you need to lose weight. Due to our body shapes/genetics, I will just never have the body of a size 0 swimsuit bikini model and I accept that. Once we were at the grocery store in the checkout line where they have those magazines in the front and their was a picture of an anorexic woman in a bikini on the front cover and my mom said "Why can't I be that thin" and that really started to scare me. I don't even want to be too thin, if I had to choose I would be happy to be a size 12, which is still considered fat for a woman. Even when I lose the 100lbs I will still be considered overweight and I will just learn that I have to accept that.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,600,566 times
Quote:
The thing is she knows she is eating unhealthy and is complaining about knee pain and her "body shutting down". She thinks its the weight but it is probably due to old age and menopause.

How old is your mom? I'm 49 and going through menopause now. While it does cause a lot of changes and I do have my share of aches and pains, it is much more likely that it is your mom's weight and high blood pressure that is making her feel bad.

I prepare most if not all food for the family. I am proud of myself for not giving in to temptation when I am preparing the fried chicken right before my eyes. You don't know how it feels to have all that chicken on a big plate just sitting there and the aroma alone is making my mouth water. I am limiting the amount of salt that I put on their food but it would be better if we didn't eat this kind of stuff every night. All of my brothers are already complaining about the food tasting dry, and I completely understand them. I have always hated bland foods and could never eat a sandwich without mayo or a burger without cheese and ketchup,unless it was a dire emergency.

You have every right to feel proud about not giving in to temptation! You're doing a great job at that. But there's NO reason healthier food has to taste bland or be expensive. Instead of frying the chicken, you can rub it with olive oil and lemon juice (or any number of other things) and bake it. Then pull the skin off when you eat it. Please look up some healthy tasty recipes online for fixing some of the things you already eat. There's a whole world of good tasting, healthy food out there that your whole family can enjoy.

She goes to the Dr and he says she needs to loose weight, but she just never does. Like me, she takes blood pressure medicine everyday. And we always go to the Dr at least once or twice a month. And get told the same thing everytime, you need to lose weight. Due to our body shapes/genetics, I will just never have the body of a size 0 swimsuit bikini model and I accept that. Once we were at the grocery store in the checkout line where they have those magazines in the front and their was a picture of an anorexic woman in a bikini on the front cover and my mom said "Why can't I be that thin" and that really started to scare me. I don't even want to be too thin, if I had to choose I would be happy to be a size 12, which is still considered fat for a woman. Even when I lose the 100lbs I will still be considered overweight and I will just learn that I have to accept that.

Size 12 is a perfectly acceptable size and a good goal to shoot for.
Keep talking about weight and nutrition with all of your family members. It's not a conversation that you'll have one time and everyone will get on board. You keep doing what you've been doing and you'll see the weight start to come off and hopefully they'll want to join you. Are you still writing down your food and adding up your calories? Would even one other family member join you in doing that?

Since you all drink so much soda, and since you have financial problems, is there any way everyone would agree to give up soda for a certain amount of time (3-6 months?) and put the money toward a family debt or something that would benefit everyone? Or do the same type of thing with eating out? We once gave up eating out for a month and saved $200. It really does add up quickly.

Is there an agricultural extension service in your area? Sometimes they offer cooking classes and other nutritional information.

Overall you're doing a really good job in a very difficult situation. You should feel very proud.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
LOL no, it's just an aching in both of my legs. Nothing serious, but it does get annoying especially when I am laying in bed and out in public walking. I at first thought it was me getting taller, but I finally realized it was from the treadmill.
Aching muscles are good. It means you are using them, and they will eventually get stronger. Muscles ache when tiny muscle tissue breaks down when you overexert the muscle. A bodybuilder overexerts muscles by lifting heavier and heavier weights. Then when you are resting, the muscles regrow back into bigger, stronger muscles. This is how bodybuilders grow huge muscles. You need to work a muscle (overexert it) to grow it, plus you need to eat right (get enough protein in your diet) to feed the muscle with nutrition to help it grow stronger. So make sure your daily calories contain around 30% or more protein. You will get protein from eating things like turkey, chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, beans, nuts, eggs, and milk.

If you saw the picture of my legs earlier, the way they got that muscular was by doing leg specific exercises at my health club. I have to press very heavy weights on various leg press machines to get my muscles to grow. And by eating a healthy lowfat diet, I lowered my bodyfat percentage enough to the point that my leg muscles are fully exposed. Your treadmill is a form of leg exercise, as well as total body exercise. You will get a lot of benefit by using it every day. And each time you use it, your muscles will get stronger and stronger. Your muscles won't begin to show until you lower your bodyfat, and that could be a year or more, but you will still know that underneath the fat, your muscles are constantly growing and getting stronger while you are losing the weight. And aching muscles are a sign they are getting stronger.

Quote:
It's probably due to a bone degeneration disease called osteoporosis brought on by poor nutrition. You can read about it here: Osteoporosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Her doctor can probably explain it better if this is the case.

Proper nutrition and exercise are extremely important to being healthy, so let your mother's own health be an example of why you must stick to healthy eating for the rest of your life.

Quote:
Ask your brothers which would be worse ... eating bland food, or having a heart attack at age 30?

Since you prepare all the food for your family, why not try something different? Instead of frying the chicken, try grilling it in a pan instead. Just remove the bone and skin. Then cut the chicken into bite size pieces, and place the chicken pieces in a pan on a medium heat. Grill each piece on both sides until it turns a solid white color. Then while the chicken is still being cooked, add to the pan fresh red, yellow and green bell peppers and onions (all diced up into bite size pieces) for extra flavor and added nutrition. You can also add spices on top such as ground pepper. And if you are able to eat pasta sauce, put a little on top for even more flavor. This type of chicken meal is easy to prepare, and significantly healthier than fried chicken, and I think you and your family will really enjoy the taste.

Quote:
Anyway

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on your weight issue being body shape/genetic. You have no way of knowing that you can't weigh 110 -120lbs until you've proven it by giving a 100% healthy diet and exercise a reasonable test for a sufficient amount of time, such as a year or more.

I think if you stick with healthy eating and proper exercise, you'll be looking into a mirror a year from now, and saying "Wow ... I can't believe how good I look" !!! You wont even recognize yourself. You'll also feel so energetic that you could run marathons. Your leg pains will be a thing of the past, and your blood pressure will probably be back to normal.

And perhaps a year from now, your entire family will look at you, and say if she can do it, then so can I. Set an example for all of them.

Last edited by RD5050; 07-26-2011 at 10:43 AM..

Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,459,991 times
Quote:
I am proud of myself for not giving in to temptation when I am preparing the fried chicken right before my eyes.
its funny that fat people are proud of themselves for showing a tiny bit of self control. they get congratulated for losing some weight as if its some amazing feat. its very very easy to lose weight. its very easy to not be fat. its very pathetic to be like an animal that has no control over what you eat. its like you see a slice of cake and you become a mindless animal that must devour it. its a joke. i give someone zero credit for losing weight. its not a big deal.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its funny that fat people are proud of themselves for showing a tiny bit of self control. they get congratulated for losing some weight as if its some amazing feat. its very very easy to lose weight. its very easy to not be fat. its very pathetic to be like an animal that has no control over what you eat. its like you see a slice of cake and you become a mindless animal that must devour it. its a joke. i give someone zero credit for losing weight. its not a big deal.
It's very easy to lose weight when you are the one making all the food decisions for you and your family.

Treasured Jewel is not in this position. Remember she is only 18.

She has an overweight mother who decides what food to purchase, and she has to work with whatever food her mother decides on.

She has an overweight family who all like to eat unhealthy food, and she is surrounded by them at the dinner table all enjoying this unhealthy food while she is trying to eat healthy herself.

And on top of all this ... she is the one responsible for cooking for the entire family, so she has to look at and smell all of this aromatic unhealthy food, which she knows she can't eat herself.

I think TreasuredJewel is doing an amazing job, considering the situation she lives in, and should be applauded for her efforts.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:16 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,600,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
What's easy for some people may be difficult for others. Some people are challenged when it comes to weight control. You appear to be challenged in the humility and graciousness departments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness