Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:35 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity12 View Post
This entire post is full of nonsense.

Weight Watchers does not work long term, and it's not the fault of the dieter. WW does not address the core problem - carb addiction. Back in the old days, WW was pretty straight forward, just cut your breads and pastas. But because people don't want to give up their sugars, they've created a new formula that allows people to eat candy all day if they want, as long as they don't go over their precious 'points'. Ridiculous.

Exercise is the last thing a person should be doing to lose weight. Studies show that sleep is more effective than exercise. In fact, high stress exercise only causes the body to produce more cortisol, which increases abdominal fat, along with a whole bunch of other negative effects.

Addiction is not a state of mind. The source, or "drug" let's call it (this can be narcotics, alcohol, sex, gambling, sugar, etc.) releases dopamine in the brain, and the individual experiences pleasure. The brain tries to repeat this over and over again, and the more it's repeated, the more ingrained the pattern becomes. It's entirely real, and not just a will-power problem.

Bottom line: Read "Why We Get Fat", by Gary Taubes. It will help you way more than anyone on this board. Most people are just taking a wild guess at what works or going by what someone else told them. Don't ever let a person who's never been fat tell you that you're lazy and have no self-control; they don't get it. This book will tell you about the science behind obesity.
Wow. I am amazed that a person can be so emphatic, yet also be so wrong, over and over again within the same post. Every paragraph is wrong.

Also, I am going to guess that you too are overweight (more likely obese) and have clung to the bits of pseudo-science you have read which absolve you of your poor lifestyle choices.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:46 PM

295 posts, read 1,449,923 times
Quote:

Weight Watchers does not work long term, and it's not the fault of the dieter. WW does not address the core problem - carb addiction. Back in the old days, WW was pretty straight forward, just cut your breads and pastas. But because people don't want to give up their sugars, they've created a new formula that allows people to eat candy all day if they want, as long as they don't go over their precious 'points'. Ridiculous.

Exercise is the last thing a person should be doing to lose weight. Studies show that sleep is more effective than exercise. In fact, high stress exercise only causes the body to produce more cortisol, which increases abdominal fat, along with a whole bunch of other negative effects.

Addiction is not a state of mind. The source, or "drug" let's call it (this can be narcotics, alcohol, sex, gambling, sugar, etc.) releases dopamine in the brain, and the individual experiences pleasure. The brain tries to repeat this over and over again, and the more it's repeated, the more ingrained the pattern becomes. It's entirely real, and not just a will-power problem.

Bottom line: Read "Why We Get Fat", by Gary Taubes. It will help you way more than anyone on this board. Most people are just taking a wild guess at what works or going by what someone else told them. Don't ever let a person who's never been fat tell you that you're lazy and have no self-control; they don't get it. This book will tell you about the science behind obesity.
Thanks for the positive feedback.
As far as it being "an entire post full of nonsense", I am willing to bet you don't score well on reading comprehension tests.

Despite what you personally believe:
- Exercise, when coupled with a PROPER diet, is the best way to lose weight. You can lose weight by doing either one by itself, but it is significantly slower. The exercise shouldn't be half-assed, and the diet should be something you will continue forever. If you honestly believe that you can lose as much weight by sleeping as someone on an exercise program, you should buy my new book "A Sucker is Born Every Minute".
- Addiction for MOST people is a state of mind. Anyone stating they are addicted to soda is likely not really addicted to anything, except maybe overstating their desire to continue drinking soda. Besides, drinking diet soda is likely not a major cause of obesity, regardless of any addiction. Chances are that most people are addicted to things that they WANT to be addicted to (smoking, gambling, sex...). Sure there are chemicals in the brain (insulin) that drive certain behaviors; but as a thinking human being, you can always choose what to do and overcome any desire. You will likely come back with something like "how do you know what addiction is or isn't unless you have been an addict yourself?" ..been there, done that. Let's just agree to disagree. If you want to stop eating pizza and ice cream, stop eating pizza and ice cream. It really IS that simple.
- Weight Watchers has worked for many, many people. Their diets focus on a balance of carbs and proteins and fats. I am not sure where you get the "eat as much candy as you want" theory; but I will assume you mis-interpreted the instructions.

So, I will take your post as an angry outburst from someone who is dead-set against other opinions (or someone who has been a victim her whole life). I would recommend that you broaden your knowledge base before you throw others under the proverbial bus.

If you need literature to calm your inner beast, try:
- Body by Science (McGuff)
- Mastering the Zone (Sears)

Old 06-09-2011, 07:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:

everything in this post is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 PM

274 posts, read 370,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyfly View Post
Thanks for the positive feedback.
As far as it being "an entire post full of nonsense", I am willing to bet you don't score well on reading comprehension tests.

Despite what you personally believe:
- Exercise, when coupled with a PROPER diet, is the best way to lose weight. You can lose weight by doing either one by itself, but it is significantly slower. The exercise shouldn't be half-assed, and the diet should be something you will continue forever. If you honestly believe that you can lose as much weight by sleeping as someone on an exercise program, you should buy my new book "A Sucker is Born Every Minute".
- Addiction for MOST people is a state of mind. Anyone stating they are addicted to soda is likely not really addicted to anything, except maybe overstating their desire to continue drinking soda. Besides, drinking diet soda is likely not a major cause of obesity, regardless of any addiction. Chances are that most people are addicted to things that they WANT to be addicted to (smoking, gambling, sex...). Sure there are chemicals in the brain (insulin) that drive certain behaviors; but as a thinking human being, you can always choose what to do and overcome any desire. You will likely come back with something like "how do you know what addiction is or isn't unless you have been an addict yourself?" ..been there, done that. Let's just agree to disagree. If you want to stop eating pizza and ice cream, stop eating pizza and ice cream. It really IS that simple.
- Weight Watchers has worked for many, many people. Their diets focus on a balance of carbs and proteins and fats. I am not sure where you get the "eat as much candy as you want" theory; but I will assume you mis-interpreted the instructions.

So, I will take your post as an angry outburst from someone who is dead-set against other opinions (or someone who has been a victim her whole life). I would recommend that you broaden your knowledge base before you throw others under the proverbial bus.

If you need literature to calm your inner beast, try:
- Body by Science (McGuff)
- Mastering the Zone (Sears)
Hey, you're in luck! I've read both books! Dr. Sears' book is helpful in that he understood early on the role of hormones in the body and how it relates to weight gain and weight loss, but it's quite a few steps behind Gary Taubes's research. Body by Science? I guess that's good if you want to tone or bulk up or whatever, but it isn't helpful for weight loss.

I'm sorry if I come across as a little strident, but I really get sick of hearing the same old bad advice, which usually amounts to nothing more than old wives tales. It's not fair to the OP to give them the same old 'calories in, calories out' malarky, when it's not going to help at all.

So much of what you say in your post above is just incorrect, and has been proven so. But it's clear that whatever assertion I make will just be answered with a "no it's not", so it isn't worth trying. For instance, when I state that studies have shown that people lose more weight by sleeping than exercising, you simply respond with "If you honestly believe that you can lose as much weight by sleeping as someone on an exercise program, you should buy my new book "A Sucker is Born Every Minute". Wow, are you even interested in hearing about those studies, or does real scientific evidence not interest you?

So why don't you go ahead and let me know what you think after reading Why We Get Fat. Afraid to have your mind changed?

Old 06-10-2011, 12:01 AM

63 posts, read 165,667 times
The only way to lose weight healthily and keep it off is to alter your lifestyle to one where you are active and disciplined. On a healthy diet with excersise, you should shoot for 2-3 lbs a week. You might lose more at first, especially if you are severely overweight or if you cut back on sodium and lose a lot of water weight, but aiming to lose 10lbs a week is not realistic.

i would get overy our phobia of going to the gym. if you go during the day (you dont work so maybe this is possible) then there will be less meathead types and more housewives etc. working out. just dont wear tight clothes and focus on yourself. If you find that people are giving you a hard time, try a different gym. There are also gyms that have 'ladies only' sections which might make you feel more comfortable.

And dont try any fad diets. Focus on a balanced diet. Up your fresh veggies, lower your processed foods, get your healthy fats etc etc. Start counting calories as well. Some simple research should be able to guide you on what to include and not include in a basic healthy diet.

Also, when switching to a diet, you have to think of it as a lifestyle change and improvement. If you think of it as depriving yourself of things, then it will be much harder. Dont focus on the fact that you are going to be giving up cake, focus on the fact that you will be looking and feeling better over the next few months and that you will occasionally be able to have a moderate amount of cake here and there without feeling guilty afterwards.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:56 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Your thread title says ".....TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT...", what are you doing currently to lose the weigiht?

What where you doing when you were 30 pounds overweight? 50 pounds overweight? 80 pounds overweight?

I think you need to take a real hard look in the mirror (not just physically) and make a comittment to getting healthy and losing weight. Every single one of your posts here screams excuses excuses excuses, and get the eff off the diet sodas. NO ONE IS ADDICTED to diet sodas.

You need to put in 2 hours per day at least to lose weight. An hour in the morning and another hour in the evening, you definitely have the time to do this.

What fits better with your schedule? Exercising 2-3 hours per day or being dead 24 hours per day? Thats what I thought, so stop all your friggin' excuses and start exercising. If you are in such bad shape, sign up to be on Biggest Loser or some similar show where they'll help you get healthy.
Well..I agree sorta. But Lao is hardcore. If you can't totally give up diet soda limit to the proper serving of these drinks. Its just two. So that is like a can's worth. Find a soda machine around you thats walkable close. Its a nice relaxing way to get some exercise & a reasonable treat choice. Just make a commitments to not drink the diet stuff at any other time than your 1x a day walk.

You do not need to put in two hours a day to lose weight unless you are trying to be fast and perfect. Most people that try to lose and fail overwhelm themselves by trying to be perfect. Half and effort is better than none. You can lose pretty much all your weight if you control your diet. If you stall you can start exercise after clearing it with your doc. So don't bother with just quitting because you don't have the time or money to go to a gym. You have the internet and with that you can research the food you are eating.
You can get diet and exercise guidance here:
Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

The workouts do not require equipment if you do not have it. You can switch it out for something else. When I was starting to lose and get in shape it was easier to do those because it was free, I could do one set and add more later when I was in better shape. (you want to work the area till failure.that just means when your muscle wont do it)

You can do it. And any limitation you believe you have can be worked around. Meet yourself halfway and eventually when you get comfortable with those changes you add a little more perfect choices into your lifestyle that will make you healthier and in shape.

p.s. I dont go to the gym either. I hate them. I just picked up a stationary resistance bike for cardio, and there is walking too. I use my own body weight for toning and sometimes use cheap free weights. You can get them really cheap at walmart. Check out the site. I would go with a 5lb or 10lb to start. Go to the store and pic the one that is challenging but not so challenging you can feel it pull your joints as if they were stretching. If the pull happens go lighter and then get the heavier weight 2 months later.

my change:
current size0-2 - xs 115lbs
old size: 14-16-xl about 200lbs
(its been so long that I kept it off I forget what my highest weight was)
If I didnt take it one step at a time to start I would of totally quit. Now I live for finding new stuff to try etc. If you would of told me that I would be this way back when I started, I would if called you insane. LOL

Last edited by Opsimathia; 06-10-2011 at 07:06 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 08:22 AM

295 posts, read 1,449,923 times
Quote:
So much of what you say in your post above is just incorrect, and has been proven so.
Even though I am still trying to figure out what is incorrect in my posts, to say that your assumptions are proven is kind of bold. I scoured the net, and only found studies that suggest that getting ENOUGH sleep aids in recovery after workouts, and aids in brain chemical production (which only facilitates weight loss). Nothing suggests that you can lose weight with sleep alone - and not diet and exercise.

I have read Taubes' book "Good Calories, Bad Calories", which is a semi-well-respected (albeit controversial) nutrition guide in many circles, so I don't doubt that "Why We Get Fat" is a somewhat good book. Many of the reviews suggest it is a re-write of "Good Calories, Bad Calories" with a lot of unrelated assumptions and inaccurate comparisons thrown in (comparing cows to people, stating that wild animals are never fat...). Dr. Sears at least goes into how carbs affect humans, and how to eat according to the scientific findings. Taubes also completely rules out counting calories, which seems to be a successful way for millions of people to track their dietary intake and lose weight. That alone suggests people should be cautious with taking Taubes' words at face value. Not saying he is wrong, but it seems like you've read something you relate to, and worship it like it is the bible. That doesn't necessarily make it so.

Body by Science is merely a book that combines information on the science of nutrition and exercise. It reads like an infomercial; trying to convince people they only have to work out 12 minutes a day, three times a week to get the same body as someone who spends all day, every day in the gym. Since the thread is about losing weight quickly, it is very applicable.

I have had fun here, but this is not related to this thread. Time to get back on track.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
I never read the book but my body's life results speak for themselves. Low intensity helped me shed fat better than high intensity. This was true at high and lower weights. HIIT was the best but its so freakin intense. I lost my love for it.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:22 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
Quote:
It's not fair to the OP to give them the same old 'calories in, calories out' malarky, when it's not going to help at all.
"Calories in vs. calories out" actually isn't malarky.

In my opinion and experience, that's the best and most logical way to lose weight.

A person who doesn't exercise but reduces calorie intake enough to create a "deficit" will, indeed, lose weight. A person who thinks they can excessively eat or give themselves treats because they exercise probably won't get great results.

That's the premise of programs like Weight Watchers. In essence, it's just a calorie counting plan, but they use points to make it easier. Whether it's the best program long term or not is a subjective issue, but we know that it works if you stick with it.

Think about gastric bypass. I've known a couple of people who have undergone gastric bypass surgery. They didn't exercise, but lost an immense amount of weight. Again, it's the severe reduction in calories that promotes the weight loss.

What is malarky to me is all the gimmicky plans that restrict carbs, sugar, etc. etc. I know some people swear by these types of plans, but when I think of all of the white rice and sweets that Japanese people eat, it seems to be a contradiction. Japan doesn't have an obesity epidemic. In Japan, portion control is exercised, and walking and cycling is often used as transportation.

But this is just my opinion. I'm not a doctor. I'm not a scientist. I'm just stating this from personal experience. I think personal experience is the best knowledge for weight loss. It's about trial and error. If you find something that works for you, keep doing it. Don't jump on the bandwagons and go out and buy every new diet book out there.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:27 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I never read the book but my body's life results speak for themselves. Low intensity helped me shed fat better than high intensity. This was true at high and lower weights. HIIT was the best but its so freakin intense. I lost my love for it.

The bolded portion brings up a very good point, Opsimathia. What's the *best* excercise plan? One that you will do consistently!

My motorcycle safety instructor said much the same thing about safety equipment: "Leather is the best option, but it doesn't help you hanging in the hallway closet 'cause it's too hot outside."

Be honest with yourself - if you're more likely to consistently walk 3 miles every day instead of jogging 1 mile, then walking is the better choice for you, because you'll actually do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness