Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 10:13 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You're going to have to educate yourself about nutrition and exercise. I would start at sparkpeople.com. It's a free online site with lots of information and it allows you to track your calories as well as other nutrients. With your HBP you'll need to keep track of your sodium, I imagine.

Even if you're not in charge of what food you buy, there are some things you can do. First, stop drinking sodas, diet or otherwise. You're not addicted to them, they've just become a habit for you. Although the scientific evidence is not completely clear, they are believed to mess up your metabolism. Just drink water, and aim for 1/2 gallon a day.

By fitness programs you can do at home, do you mean exercise videos? If you have some, do them for at least 30 mins. a day, 5-6 days a week to start out and make sure it feels like you're working. You should be out of breath, but not dying. As time goes on, you'll want to increase the duration to 60-90 mins.

Even if your metabolism is horrible, there are some things you can do to fix it. Aim to eat between 1,200 and 1,800 calories a day, divided up into 5 or 6 small meals. Again, even if you're not in charge of the food that comes into the house, you're in charge of what you put on your plate. You can still eat meat and rice, but just less of it. Start reading labels and keeping track of your calories (Sparkpeople is great for that, but it's certainly not necessary.)

Don't worry about your clothes right now. When what you're wearing starts to get baggy, buy a couple of things to see you through to the next drop in weight.

You are not destined to have high blood pressure. If your entire family is significantly overweight, it is about 99% related to your lifestyle. Stop thinking in terms of destiny when it comes to your weight and health because there are lots of things you can do. YOU are in charge of your destiny.

You asked how to lose 100 pounds quickly. You need to think in terms of losing 100 lbs over about 2 years to do it safely and in a way that it will stay off. There is no short-term solution. Take things one day at a time and if that's too much, take things an hour at a time. You can do anything for an hour, right?

I'm guessing that you might encounter resistance from your family. Some relatives may see your trying to lose weight as a criticism of them. You'll need a strong will and a thick skin to do this.

For inspiration, look for ladyKLO's posts on here. She has lost a great deal of weight through healthy eating and moderate exercise.

Good luck with everything!

Thanks for repping me....I just started bootcamp on Thursday so I am amping it up again!

Old 06-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Baloney!!! The reason most say that (just as CaptNJ said above) is because they want an excuse. Well, maybe its a combination of wanting an excuse and also being ignorant to the wonders of having a clean healthy diet. I mean really, fat/obese people should understand that it is MORE important for them (and especially if they have kids) to NOT eat ice cream, drink soda, chow down on doughnuts, etc. because their health would continue to deteriorate and soon their children will be mommy-less after paying for funeral expenses. So I say to the obese, do you want to continue eating ice cream and soda and die, or do you want to get your health in order?

I will always always always tell those who are fat/obese who want to lose weight to cut out ALL soda and ice cream. I mean go totally cold turkey on that stuff becuase IT WILL KILL YOU!! This is a huge problem why people fail so miserably in their diets because someone who maybe doesnt know much at all about training and helping other people tell them "Oh, its okay to eat ice cream and fudge and toppings, and ......blah blah blah". This is bad friggin' advice. One soda per week is too much. An ice cream sundae (even childs size) once every two weeks is too much. MORESO if the person is battling to lose weight. Different if they are already at their targeted weight and on a consistent exercise schedule/routine.

Good point...you speak the truth and trust me, it is hard to digest when a person is truly looking for excuses.

For me, I had to give up stuff I loved...I haven't had a doughnut in over a year, haven't had a Snickers bar since March 2010....gave up a lot of stuff and it worked.

A lot of people talk about portion control...for me, portion control doesn't work....I would rather not have it because it would cause me to introduce foods back into my system that I don't need.

For the OP, when you change your lifestyle, your body will change as well. I gave up all the trashy foods for months and when I had it one day for a treat....well, it made me SICK.....really sick to the point I had to go back to my new way of eating healthy!

Old 06-11-2011, 10:30 AM

295 posts, read 1,450,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
I gave up all the trashy foods for months and when I had it one day for a treat....well, it made me SICK.....really sick to the point I had to go back to my new way of eating healthy!
This is the part that a lot of people who give up sweets realize after time. Your body craves that sugar rush right now; but once you stop eating all of that sugar, you can really taste the unbelievable amount of pure sugar they cram into a candy bar or soda. The sugar rush is intense when you haven't had it in a while. It does almost make you sick.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyfly View Post
This is the part that a lot of people who give up sweets realize after time. Your body craves that sugar rush right now; but once you stop eating all of that sugar, you can really taste the unbelievable amount of pure sugar they cram into a candy bar or soda. The sugar rush is intense when you haven't had it in a while. It does almost make you sick.
Let me tell you a funny story.....I went to a wedding last September in my hometown in Tennessee and I decided to try my aunt's homemade lemonade since I remembered it being so delicious when I was a kid....well, I grabbed a glass and literally spit it out..it tasted like POISON to me...I even tried to add water to it to dilute it...I still couldn't drink it...should have stuck with the water!!!

The days I eat something bad...my stomach goes into hurl mode which is a good reason to stay healthy!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,792 times
I cannot believe some of these posters comments about people like me. They are bordering on insulting like all we do is sit down and eat all day. We all have dreams and ambitions like the rest of you people. If you have never been fat, then please do not insult us.

BTW I have only lost 1 lbs (weight myself today)

Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I cannot believe some of these posters comments about people like me. They are bordering on insulting like all we do is sit down and eat all day. We all have dreams and ambitions like the rest of you people. If you have never been fat, then please do not insult us.

BTW I have only lost 1 lbs (weight myself today)
Don't you think it's "bordering on insulting" to call a older woman "disgusting" (re your comments on the Ernestine Shepherd thread) for lifting weights and being fit? I'm in my 40's - is it "disgusting" to you that I go to the gym?

Last edited by Bakeneko; 06-14-2011 at 09:50 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Don't you think it's "bordering on insulting" to call a older woman "disgusting" for lifting weights and being fit? I'm in my 40's - is it "disgusting" to you that I go to the gym?
NO because it is always people like me who are called disgusting. I think if someone is that old they need to be in a nursing home somewhere, not risking injuring themselves at the gym since they are that old.

Your age is fine but seeing grandmas and granpas at the gym is plain weird.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:55 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
NO because it is always people like me who are called disgusting. I think if someone is that old they need to be in a nursing home somewhere, not risking injuring themselves at the gym since they are that old.

Your age is fine but seeing grandmas and granpas at the gym is plain weird.
Maybe you should take a lesson from Jack LaLanne, who worked out until the day before he died .... at age 96!

Jack LaLanne Fitness Guru Dies at 96: Learn 10 of His Habits - The Daily Beast

Quote:
10. No matter who you are, you’ve got to work out. LaLanne revolutionized fitness by advocating weight training for women, but he didn't stop there. He insisted that exercise was for everyone, from the disabled to the elderly. “The only way you can hurt the body is not use it,” he liked to say. “Inactivity is the killer, and remember, it’s never too late.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:57 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
I haven't read the whole thread but I saw that alot of people tried to give your advice in answer to your post. I'm not sure that anyone called you disgusting (but I read through rather quickly).

In any case, just wondering at what age do you think I should consider shuffling off to the nursing home? 60? 70? 80?

Maybe it's a good thing that you don't go to the gym .......

Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
They are bordering on insulting
you should be insulted. you treated your body like a garbage dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness