Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 04:17 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,094,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Yes, it is true. If you are a regular person who diets and works out 3-4 times a week, cross fit ain't going to help.

From just doing it for the last 2-3 weeks... You are SO WRONG dude.

Now, I've got a 'strong' working out background.

Was a Recon Marine, Lifted etc...

haven't been able to do much for the last several years due to injuries.

PT has finally got me to the point where I can do some, and a buddy who is into MMA recommended Crossfit to me.

I can't do all the exercises, but I can do enough.

The short workouts are benificial, because I can't stand up that long.

I've never been outside USMC height/weight standards', but just from the last few weeks, I'd say that I give the lie to your statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 07:41 AM

28,395 posts, read 16,265,163 times
Quote:
Yes, it is true. If you are a regular person who diets and works out 3-4 times a week, cross fit ain't going to help.

Care to address the two pics I posted? Those are guys who are exactly what you described above, except they probably work out 5x per week, instead of 3-4.

Also, please define "ain't going to help". Help someone do what?

I've already said that if you want to be Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler, CrossFit is not what you want to do.

If you're talking about simply getting into better shape, losing weight, adding some lean muscle mass, etc. - you are dead wrong and I've posted pics to prove it.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Crossfit is overhype trash that works if you are an out of shape couch potato.
If you are looking to get cut/chizzled/and jacked, cross fit will be counter-productive to going to a regular gym and doing hypertrophy training.

Uh, getting cut/chisled is simply a function of having low bodyfat. CrossFit works VERY well for that.

Yep, look at all these un-cut, un-chisled, un-"jacked" guys. A half-step above couch potatoes...

Men of the 2011 CrossFit Games | CrossFit Games (http://games.crossfit.com/features/photos/men-2011-crossfit-games - broken link)

Feel free to post pics of yourself, since you are obviously in much better shape than those guys. Also feel free to post your excercise and nutrition credentials.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:53 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,094,902 times
Getting ready for bed...

Made me think of this thread.

Took my shirt off and brushed my teeth.

2-3 weeks of this 4x per week.

Seeing visible results. (More cut/toned.)

Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,952,036 times
Hudlander, you are so far off base, it's hilarious. Ive got quite a bit experience in both fields. I was an avid weightlifter for nearly 10 years. But after starting CF 2.5 years ago, I'll never go back. Now, I still do strength training(thank you, crossfit football...lol), but Ive left traditional mechanized routines far behind, and couldnt be happier. I'm in better shape overall, still just as big, but leaner.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:42 AM

10 posts, read 18,304 times
My wife and I have owned a CrossFit gym and I have to say that it has probably saved our lives. We kept trying to do the big-box gym and train ourselves, but we just weren't seeing the results. Also, it was very difficult to stick with it.
I can't recommend CrossFit enough. Everyone I know that owns/teaches is a stickler for form and can go into a box gym and point to every persons flaws in technique. Crossfit is very firm in that form is number one and keeps most injuries from ever happening.
the differing workouts are part of the reason that people in CrossFit are in such good shape. Has anyone ever had the plateau effect? Also, trying different and new exercises keeps your body confused and interested in doing new things.

I can't say how much I am in favor of Crossfit and I wish everyone would give it a try. It's not for everyone, but you don't know until you try it.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:34 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,098,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Really? I've participated at 3 different CrossFit gyms in 3 different states and I don't find the membership any more "weird" than any other cross-section of a given population. Care to share some more details?

Sounds like you've been to some/a bad gym. The 3 that I've been to have all been VERY strict about proper form throughout the excercise. Plus, I can tell when I'm rounding my back on DLs, can't you?

Can you elaborate on the "no rhyme or reason to the work outs" claim? I'm not sure what metric you're using to evaluate that.

I think this sums up what I want/expect to achieve from CrossFit better than I could articulate myself:

"While its true that excelling in CrossFit and it's competitions means I will never be considered "elite" in any specific sport, I'm totally OK with that. I deadlift, squat and bench more than I ever have, while running and rowing faster than ever before. And I can do this while weighing 20lbs less than I did when I spent all morning in the weight room.

To me, the goal of CrossFit is to NOT look like a freak. I no longer desire to tip the scale at 250+ lbs. My new goal is to be as strong, fast and versatile as possible while weighing in at 185-195lbs. I don't have delsusions of being the strongest man alive, or breaking a world record in the sprint. I just want to be good at those things and have the skills in my arsenal. Learning new skills keeps you healthy.

I also aim to be a fit and healthy senior citizen. I want to be exercising and taking on new challenges when I'm 70, or even 80 years old. Doesn't it occur to the nay-sayers that we eat Paleo becuase we think its more natural? Of course it wont make us massive tree trunks, that's not the point. We're not trying to fool our DNA here, but simply work with what we've got and live a happy life.

I'm not trying to push one category of my fitness to extreme levels, and if you think CrossFit is dumb because there are other athletes who can do SOME things better than our elite then it is you who is dumb. We aim to compete in the sport of fitness, which we define as being able to do anything and everything life may throw at you, and we don't need to have bulging biceps and a closet full of pharmeceuticals to achieve this.

That said, if you think CF'ers are soft and have no muscle, you've been to the wrong gym. If you don't think we lift enough weights, you've been to the wrong gym. And, if you think we don't do it in a safe, controllable way...you've been to the wrong gym. I'm no expert, and I don't have a degree in fitness, but I do know what I'm doing and where I'm going and it doesn't involve XL t-shirts and a tanning bed.

So yes, drinking mass amounts of protein powder, blowing all your money on supplements, and wasting all your time tracking how many bicep curls you've done will make you strong and huge. But, in my gym we want to be well-rounded and healthy. We want to be muscular in a way that nature intended. The end."
Good for you, you train according to what you're going for; others train according to their desires/preferences. Nature will only allow you to acquire so much muscle mass, that we all need that extra boost to get us over the hump. This is why the supplement industry is so big because it's for those who know they have more in them in the way of muscle and size/strength but genetics won't allow the extra mile they wish to go.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Good for you, you train according to what you're going for; others train according to their desires/preferences. Nature will only allow you to acquire so much muscle mass, that we all need that extra boost to get us over the hump. This is why the supplement industry is so big because it's for those who know they have more in them in the way of muscle and size/strength but genetics won't allow the extra mile they wish to go.

Not sure why you quoted my post, because I don't believe I posted anything contrary to what you've said above.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:42 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,136,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I have to agree with Lao on this one. I enjoy it more than anything else I've ever tried. Like he said, it's not cheap, but it is well worth it IMO.

Hit up your local affiliate and give it a try - every CrossFit "box" I've ever been to offers the first workout for free. What have you got to lose?
Why does it have to be expensive? My husband does it at the regular gym. Just go to the website.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 PM

You can certainly do that - if your gym has the necessary equipment. You don't get the coaching and you don't get the community, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness