Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:15 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Because it's one more barrier between the OP and getting going. The dude first needs to start moving around before going to the expense and trouble of finding and joining a gym. I live in Virginia, which isn't exactly the North Pole this time of year and I get out every day for a 4-5 mile walk. One can avoid the heat by exercising in the early morning or late evening. The message here is keep it simple and easy.
That makes sense. I just didn't want the OP thinking that he shouldn't go to a gym before he has lost a certain amount of weight. If he wants to go, he should. But if he is letting fear/dislike of the gym stand in his way then you're right, walking would be the best way to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 03:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Don't think in terms of miracles. Don't set a goal of dozens of pounds.

There are 365 days in a year. If you lose one ounce a day, you will lose 23 pounds by this time next year. Two ounces a day, 46 pounds in a year. How hard can it be to lose two ounces today?

Portion control works all the time. If you reach in the jar for a cookie, break it in half, and put half back. When you think of what to eat, and how much to eat, forget about your weight. Don't even think about your weight. Instead, shift your mindset to healthy eating, and aim for a healthier diet, and feel your pride when you eat something good for you. Pretty soon you will have a continuous mindset of "frugal eating", in which discipline is no longer required, it will just "feel wrong" to eat wrong.

Collect up a few nice heatlhy things for snacks. When you get the munchies, get a stalk of celery out of the fridge, and dip it in peanut butter. Or, don't just sit down in front of the TV with the whole box, instead take 8 saltine crackers out of the box, and put them in a bowl. Then cut off a one-ounce chunk of cheese, and cut it into 8 pieces, and put those in the bowl. There's your munchie snack.

Keep a half-gallon container handy full of water, spiked with a couple of capfuls of bottled lemon juice. Even tap water tastes good that way, and you won't even want anything that contains sugar, chemicals or calories.

Find somebody in your life who is supportive. When you eat a disciplined meal or snack, go through in your mind how you are going to brag to that person about how you enjoyed doing that. Even better, come back here to this thread, and every day, tell us how proud you were of what you ate that day.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:23 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddywhompus View Post
To be honest, I was scared to check because I thought my post would be ignored, but I'm glad it wasn't. I understand what you mean about making excuses or, rather, rationalizations. I make them all the time and I know it has to stop.

I think my main problem is starting. Just getting out there.I think it is more of an internal issue. I mean, I am a guy who wears a jacket all the time, regardless of the weather, because it covers my fat tires. I think what I want is for everyone in the world to tell me they aren't staring at me so I can finally workout or walk outside without being embarassed of myself, but realistically I know this is not possible and it is just something I have to get over.

Anyway, I'm sorry for calling it "rabbit food". I was just looking for a way to express what I expect to eat. I only mentioned it because someone said that sacrificing taste wasn't necessary. I had originally thought that this just meant experimenting with spices and seasoning, but I wasn't sure if putting too much of these would make the meal be high in sodium (something I'm obviously supposed to be avoiding).
Why don't you start today, right now, by deciding that you will not drink a soda or any other sweetened drink (sugar or artificial sweetener) of any type for six months and that you'll do a minimum of 20 minutes of walking every day for the next six months?

Old 06-20-2011, 03:37 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
There is a huge amount of good advice so far. I don't have much to add but the following:

- eliminate the really offensive stuff that is easy to get rid of. Sugar sodas, candy bars, potato chips, etc. Those foods are calorie rich and have almost no nutritional value.

- learn to read labels of packaged foods. Don't be fooled by calories per serving when you eat the whole package when its supposed to have four servings.

- You are not going on a diet. You are making a lifestyle change that should stay with you forever. When you achieve your target size/weight, you can ease up a bit, but you'll never return to the lifestyle that got you to 350 lbs.

- don't overthink the exercise part at first. Start simple and stick to it. Maybe a mix of walking and cardio at the gym. If you walk - that doesn't mean the same speed you walk across the living room. Walk fast enough to get your heart and lungs moving a bit.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:08 PM

5 posts, read 12,470 times
So I just came back from a walk. I volunteered to walk my dog tonight and went out for about an hour. An issue did arise today while walking - an issue which I forgot about until I starting walking -, my back really began to ache halfway through. It's annoying because it takes away from the enjoyment of walking.

Is this due to my not working out those muscles or because my weight is too much for my spine to handle?

Old 06-20-2011, 10:29 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
So I just came back from a walk. I volunteered to walk my dog tonight and went out for about an hour. An issue did arise today while walking - an issue which I forgot about until I starting walking -, my back really began to ache halfway through. It's annoying because it takes away from the enjoyment of walking.

Is this due to my not working out those muscles or because my weight is too much for my spine to handle?
My back hurts when I walk one of my dogs. She's very energetic and she practically drags me down the street. I have to keep a tight grip on the leash and keep dragging her away from a million different things she wants to smell. My other dog is so lazy that after we get a block from the house, he sits down and will not take another step. I don't get sore when I walk him.

Anyhow, it's probably the dog. Tomorrow, leave the dog at home and see if you get the same pain when you walk.

Do you know how to ride a bicycle? That's actually pretty good exercise for a larger person. You'd want to pick a bike with a steel frame and nice thick tires, no suspension, and make sure you keep the tires inflated to the right pressure every time you ride, plus stay on the street rather than dirt paths, just to make sure your bike would hold up. You'd be surprised at the amount of exercise you can get from even short rides. I've started riding about 5 miles a day, which is nothing compared to how far some people ride in a day, but feels great to me. I figure I can start increasing the distance slowly, especially when the weather cools down a little bit I can start riding further. The exercise seems to help with my appetite...or at least time spent on the bike is time that's not spent eating.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:

Back pain when walking is often a posture issue. Thrust your shoulders back, your pelvis forward, feel your tummy muscles tighten, and try to hold that while you walk. You probably have some small back muscles that have gotten lazy.

You've probably gotten in the habit of walking slouched, so as not to project the parts of your body that you feel self-conscious about.

Go to Youtube and search for exercises for back pain. They are very gentle exercises, won't even raise your heartbeat, but you have muscles you never use, that your back depends upon to hold its shape and form, and you may need to tone those muscles up. Important that, if a back exercise causes pain, stop. Don't exercise through back pain.

Why don't you tell us your height, weight and gender, so we can get an idea just what you are working on.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why don't you tell us your height, weight and gender, so we can get an idea just what you are working on.
He mentioned in an earlier post that he's 6 ft tall, 350 lbs, male and 21 years old.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:33 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
It's a combination of your weight, your posture, and your shoes. You're putting a huge burden on your spine and expecting it to handle resistance (the dog). Offer, instead, to give the dog a shorter walk a different time of day. AND add another walk by yourself without the dog, the same distance as when you walk it on that shorter period.

Make sure your shoes have proper arch supports and a broad toe-box, and practice checking your posture in the mirror every day.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Sufficient shoes are going to be critical...which doesn't necessarily mean costly, just well-cushioned and with the supports you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness