Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times

Advertisements

When I was in my best shape, I noticed the one disadvantage to it is that it takes TIME. Time to plan/cook certain meals and time to work out. I got into excellent shape one summer by hitting the gym for an hour after work every day (it was a YMCA so it never got crowded in the fitness part of the building). By the time I got home and cooked/ate dinner it would be almost time for bed!!

Nowadays I have a hard time finding time to get myself to the gym. I work (desk job) 9-10 hours a day, have a dog who needs walks and attention, an active social life, and a girlfriend whom I love spending time with. It's very hard to stop by the gym on the way home from work because every gym around gets crazy packed and my workout takes almost twice as long to get through (and it's MISERABLE to workout in a crowded gym).

What does YOUR typical daily schedule look like? Can you offer any advice about finding "extra time" for fitness? I've slowly been becoming doughy and only working out 1 or 2 days a week. I'd like to really get back into it since I miss it so much. I know there are people out there that are busier than I am and manage to make it work. Any insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 01:16 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Yes, try working out in the morning.

Adjusting to the schedule change is easier than you think.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:24 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Yes, try working out in the morning.

Adjusting to the schedule change is easier than you think.
Yes! AM workouts suck until you "get in the swing", but after that first couple of weeks it's not a problem.

Nothing to get in your way when you work out first thing, either.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:14 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
When I was in my best shape, I noticed the one disadvantage to it is that it takes TIME. Time to plan/cook certain meals and time to work out. I got into excellent shape one summer by hitting the gym for an hour after work every day (it was a YMCA so it never got crowded in the fitness part of the building). By the time I got home and cooked/ate dinner it would be almost time for bed!!

Nowadays I have a hard time finding time to get myself to the gym. I work (desk job) 9-10 hours a day, have a dog who needs walks and attention, an active social life, and a girlfriend whom I love spending time with. It's very hard to stop by the gym on the way home from work because every gym around gets crazy packed and my workout takes almost twice as long to get through (and it's MISERABLE to workout in a crowded gym).

What does YOUR typical daily schedule look like? Can you offer any advice about finding "extra time" for fitness? I've slowly been becoming doughy and only working out 1 or 2 days a week. I'd like to really get back into it since I miss it so much. I know there are people out there that are busier than I am and manage to make it work. Any insights?
PLAN AHEAD.....I work out M,W,R and Sundays around the same times. I am at work 10 hours a day but I use the gym here at work. I have an active social life, a boyfriend and I don't let that stop me...I made it clear to my boyfriend and others that I am taking charge of my health even if it means not attending certain events, etc..

Here's a regular day for me:
Wake up at 5:15AM
Be at work by 7AM
Off work by 5PM
At the gym by 5PM (here at work so not far to go)
Home by 6:30PM
Eating by 7PM
In bed by 10-10:30PM

You could start working out earlier in the day or lunchtime if your schedule permits.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:29 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,904,087 times
I agree, it takes a bit of planning. Mornings can be great, once its part of your routine. Lunch time as well. Or split it up. Go for a run in the mornings, lift weights during lunch or after work, or whatever way it works best for you. Make your meals on Sundays and Wednesdays. Meet your girlfriend at the gym and workout together while you catch up.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:05 PM

252 posts, read 555,735 times
I am a full time student and freelance programmer so even though I am busy I am mostly able to set my own hours. However it wasn't always like that so I understand how it can be tough. I used to model. You would think that career would be easy to fill in a work out but it is actually the exact opposite. I often had to travel to locations where I didn't have access to a gym. On top of that many days would include a 10-14 hour work day.

I learned to develop a complex work out and food routine that really worked for me, and I still use it to this day.

My exercise routine is about 45 minutes a day, which doesn't include time for cardio or ab routine.

Monday 5 a.m
Wake up have 1/2 a glass of warm water. 15 minutes later I will start my workout routine.
Chest and Back work out (consisting of various push ups, body resistance, free weight, and pull up techniques)
Ab work out (consisting of 400 reps using various ab routines targeting entire core)

Tuesday 5 a.m
Wake up have 1/2 a glass of warm water. 15 minutes later I will start my workout routine.
Yoga (I do 45 minutes worth of yoga routine)
Swim (Afterwards I spend about 30 minutes worth of laps in the pool)

Wednesday 5 a.m
Arms and Shoulders (free weights, resistance techniques, various pull ups)
Ab work out (consisting of 400 reps using various ab routines targeting entire core)

Thursday 5 a.m
Tai chi (various Tai Chi form for 30 - 45 minutes)
Swim (Afterwards I spend about 30 minutes worth of laps in the pool)

Friday 5 a.m
Legs and Back (free weights, resistance techniques, various pull ups)

Saturday (sleep in day)
Yoga and Stretch/breathing exercises (45 - 60 minutes)

Sunday (sleep in day)
Running (I do 20 minutes in interval form. This is for endurance and cardiovascular purposes)
Polymetrics (30 minutes of various Polymetric routines)

Nutrition
This should be helpful to you. I have designed my own nutrition plan. It consists of the daily intake needs my body and energy output required. I only consume fresh fish, fresh chicken breast, turkey breast, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. I purchase absolutely nothing frozen or canned. Processed food is filled with sodium and other unwanted articles. When I buy dairy I purchase low or reduced fat.

I have laid out a months worth of meals, 2 snacks a day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Every meal besides breakfast and snacks are entirely different every day. The meals for that week compliment each other. This way I don't have a huge grocery list and end up wasting food because I only eat it in one meal.

I shop on Sunday and Thursday. I buy half the weeks meats on Sunday, and then get the rest Thursday for freshness purposes.

When I get home from the grocery store on Sunday, I chop up and prepare as much as I can and put them in labeled tupperware. For example, If I am having Asparagus soup I will chop up the onions, garlic, asparagus etc, and put them in one container. I do not cook anything, or prepare any of the meats. Any vegetables left over I will chop up and prepare for salads. This whole process usually takes about 60 - 90 minutes, however, it saves a bundle during the week!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:14 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
I think we all have lots of things that we need/want to do in our daily lives, but unfortunately, there are only a few hours per day to squeeze this stuff in so we all have to make schedules.

Between work, kids, spouse, house, home, yard, commute, chores, errands, etc. where does exercise fit in? For me, its near the top of the list in terms of my priorities so I make sure to fit it in.

I wake up 2.5 hours before I have to be at work and workout. I also, allocate 30-60 minutes in the evening for exercise as well. Good thing is that exercise is something that should be done daily, so its easier to put off some things that could wait a few days like taking out trash, mowing the lawn, cleaning the pool, etc. Its also easier if you are single or if you have a spouse to help with household chores and kids.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw this cartoon jpeg with a doctor in the exam room talking to his patient. The doctor says "So what do you think works better with your schedule, exercising for one hour per day or being dead 24 hours per day?" That definitely helps in prioritizing things.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:21 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
I take my dog with my on long walks at the end of the day. It is easier in the summer with it being light later. Fortunately I work from home so can use those hours other people spend in the car. If you can, ask your company if you can telecommute. It's a lot better for your health and the health of the environment.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:25 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
When I was in the best shape of my life, I was focused on fitness and diet- everything else came 2nd. Well, except for work of course. Now, I am still focused on fitness, however, not as much~ I got bored of gyms and cardio equipment. Painfully damn boring. I try and run 3-4 days a week outside, and jump rope 3-4 days a week immediately after my jog and stretching. My jumping rope consists of 6 sets of 60-100 jumps. And, by the 5th set, my lets are screaming.

That's about all I do, it's enough .... I guess as you get older for some, priorities change. Come Winter, I'll go back to a gym since I can't stand the cold- hate it !

Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times
I start my workout at 5am which means I have to be up by 4am to get cleaned up and eat a good breakfast, then travel to the gym and get dressed, stretch a little bit and get started. It helps that I'm less than 5 minutes from my job and gym
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness