Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:43 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times

Advertisements

Should it be a weights ONLY or combine some cardio w/ weights?

I know high intensity weights get my heart rate up but you're not supposed to do them more than 1x/wk. Thus, I feel I'd like to do 20-30 mins maybe 5-6 days/wk to really get bang for the buck & treat the heart health optimally.

Anyone exercise physiology or cardiac rehabs types here? I'm healthy 51 yo male & in very good health/shape, yet want to improve my VO2 max & aren't sure how best? I do step-ups w/ lbs on a bench, elliptical trainer & trampoline w/ hand weights but not sure if this is enough. Thanks.

Does anyone also undersand the ACSM's position statement on cardiovascular training? Or know how cardiac rehab actually trains hearts w/ what type specific traing protocols? I do know that Olympic athletes train in high alititude to increase blood, heart & O2 levels so short of moving to Colorado anyone know how best to simulate this at home?

PS - I can't spend hrs per day either, so wondered how much time/day & the minimum days per wk to acheive optimum fitness for heart health? Can someone give me a bottomline, baseline, to go by to setup a great cardio schedule time-wise?

Last edited by movintime; 06-18-2011 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 01:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Long distance walking, running, cycling or swimming that build your endurance are better for your CV system than short intense workouts. Do something that elevates your heart rate for two hours a day and you'll stay in top shape. I played water polo in high school and college and our workouts generally involved running and swimming several miles along with calisthentics. I can't imagine anything else that would have gotten and kept us more fit. There aren't too many sports that are more physically taxing than wp so if you're in good shape for that you're in good shape for anything. People try to take shortcuts with fitness but you really need to put in the time.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:55 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,148 times
I have heard about the weights only plan...and yet oddly enough I have not noticed large enough results from those following it to be impressed even slightly. I thing the best cardiovascular workout would be spinning because you do get your heart rate up in a short amount of time. Regardless, it is best to do some weight training on alternate days to round out your workout.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:10 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
Thanks to you both. But I read the bk, 'Body By Science' by Dr. Doug Mcguff & John Little, & they claim that raising one's generating of ATP (via glycolyis & thus intense weight exercises) enhances the cardiovascular adaptability MORE than just tradional "cardo" like running, etc. I tried to revamp due to this but feel like I'm not doing enough. My cardiologist also says to do longer workouts & get HR up sustained for 45 mins/ few times per wk. I'm confused though on how best to optimally do this at home in shortest time yet not cut time or effort corners? Thanks.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:19 PM

7,181 posts, read 9,228,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Thanks to you both. But I read the bk, 'Body By Science' by Dr. Doug Mcguff & John Little, & they claim that raising one's generating of ATP (via glycolyis & thus intense weight exercises) enhances the cardiovascular adaptability MORE than just tradional "cardo" like running, etc. I tried to revamp due to this but feel like I'm not doing enough. My cardiologist also says to do longer workouts & get HR up sustained for 45 mins/ few times per wk. I'm confused though on how best to optimally do this at home in shortest time yet not cut time or effort corners? Thanks.
My suggestion is to go thru the calorie burning guides. There are a bunch of them online. You want to find one you like that is high intensity. For me nowadays it is cycling. It sounds like you might be looking for something more intense.

The other thing to think about is the possibility of injury. Back in the 80s, I had a similar idea. Using Dr Coopers point system, I chose stair climbing. There was a 6 story building I could use and I did 50 stories up and down a day. Took me less than 15 min. It was working up until the day I tripped flying down the stairs.

When I started climbing again, I noticed a knee pain that kept getting worse. I had to tone down my speed. Eventually I gave up and went to other aerobic exercises.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:11 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Kettlebells

Old 06-19-2011, 09:43 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
I recommend resistence sprinting...aka, "hill sprints". Doing about 10 will mean spending 30 minutes max from leaving your house, jogging to hill, doing workout, and jogging back to cool down. You can change up how long you rest in between, thus if you wanted to get more endurance (make it more a tempo workout) or make it more about speed and increase your flow volume of your heart. I would do these 2x per week, then another day do plyometrics which will really get your heart rate up as well. Then a 4th day can be weight based cardio and weighted lunges and such. For a 5th day I would take 30-45 minutes to go for a easy run.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:17 PM

5 posts, read 9,859 times
Jumping Rope is awesome.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:35 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
i dont do any cardio. i only do weights. however, if i did do cardio i would do high intensity interval training. when i was doing it in college it gave me tremendous amounts of stamina. i used the elliptical because my knees and ankles cant handle much abuse. i would like to mix some cardio into my routine but i go during my lunch break during work so cant really build up a sweat.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:28 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
The fact that you have a cardiologist means you have some issue with your heart. Because of this, I am unable to really suggest anything specific for YOU but I can tell what I do to get cardio done in the shortest time. I would strongly suggest following your cardiologists advice and not necessarily what people mention here. Besides, here, you may end up getting horrible advice like "go walking" or "buy some 2 1/2 pound weights....." or worse yet, get really great advice that could end up killing you because of whatever heart issue you have.

What "I" do:

1. Run 10 100 yard sprints with 15-20 situps at the end of each run.
2. Jump rope. Double unders, high knees, criss cross, etc.
3. 5-10 3 minute rounds punching/kicking on a heavy bag w/1 minute rest between rounds.
4. CrossFit workouts - "fight gone bad", "Fran", "Filthy Fifty".
5. Tabatas - pushups, pullups, situps, squats, burpees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness