Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:58 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times

Advertisements

If I had absolutely no equipment at all, here is how I would structure my week to build muscle:

Sunday - hill sprints, 100% maximal effort with near full recovery in between (50-100m distance)
Monday - push ups and pull ups, 6 sets of each performed to full failure, normal speed
Tuesday - plyometrics - lunges, hops, box jumps, long jumps, burpees, etc.
Wednesday - fill a duffel bag with something heavy, using the handles to grip the bag do 3 sets of single arm curls, overhead tricep extensions, and lateral raises to failure
Thursday - hill sprints, same as above
Friday - push ups and pull ups, 6 sets to failure, alternate explosive speed and super slow speed sets
Saturday - rest

Obviously not having equipment is sub-optimal, but you can get a lot out of doing the above and I think you could get a really solid/ripped physique as long as your diet is decent. You will also be surprised the effect the hill sprinting will have on your overall muscle growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 08:08 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
If I had absolutely no equipment at all, here is how I would structure my week to build muscle:

Sunday - hill sprints, 100% maximal effort with near full recovery in between (50-100m distance)
Monday - push ups and pull ups, 6 sets of each performed to full failure, normal speed
Tuesday - plyometrics - lunges, hops, box jumps, long jumps, burpees, etc.
Wednesday - fill a duffel bag with something heavy, using the handles to grip the bag do 3 sets of single arm curls, overhead tricep extensions, and lateral raises to failure
Thursday - hill sprints, same as above
Friday - push ups and pull ups, 6 sets to failure, alternate explosive speed and super slow speed sets
Saturday - rest

Obviously not having equipment is sub-optimal, but you can get a lot out of doing the above and I think you could get a really solid/ripped physique as long as your diet is decent. You will also be surprised the effect the hill sprinting will have on your overall muscle growth.

Interesting re hill sprints. To use the Sunday as an example, how many times or reps of that do you suggest?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:27 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Money is tight now and I can no longer afford a gym membership. I also can't afford to buy weightlifting equipment; however, I do have a 60lb dumb bell.

In regards to eating, I can't afford to buy supplements/protein powders and pounds and pounds of chicken breast.

Is there anyway for me to build muscle or at least get a decent non-cardio workout? I know I could do pushups, but I doubt pushups will help me build muscle. Pushups are mainly an endurance exercise.

Has anyone on here ever been in this situation?
Get a job that requires a lot of lifting. Save the money spent on Gym memberships.
GL2

Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Interesting re hill sprints. To use the Sunday as an example, how many times or reps of that do you suggest?
Well, if someone were coming from no running background, I would say start off easy with a heavy jog maybe 5-7 times up. If someone is running pretty regularly, I would say do the first one at about 70%, then shoot for 7 more at all-out effort (total of 8). I would ultimately cap the number of reps at no more than 12 after building up to that number. Having a set course and timing one's self is a great way to keep motivation and force you to really push yourself up the hill every time out. I noticed an obviously physical change in my lower body after just a month or so of doing these...higher butt, fully thighs, and my quads got pretty cut.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:17 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
Well, if someone were coming from no running background, I would say start off easy with a heavy jog maybe 5-7 times up. If someone is running pretty regularly, I would say do the first one at about 70%, then shoot for 7 more at all-out effort (total of 8). I would ultimately cap the number of reps at no more than 12 after building up to that number. Having a set course and timing one's self is a great way to keep motivation and force you to really push yourself up the hill every time out. I noticed an obviously physical change in my lower body after just a month or so of doing these...higher butt, fully thighs, and my quads got pretty cut.
Good stuff. Have done it myself in the past, but not for awhile. You have sparked an Idea for me getting into it again, so thanks.

This is actually one way that helped my calves get well cut, I used to do the hill sprints landing on the balls of my feet (area under the toes) its a great way of blasting your calves. Thats one of the great aspects of the exercise, by varying how you do it you can target most the leg muscles. Same goes for many exercises, pullups/chinups is another classic one for that.

Last edited by dave nz; 06-29-2011 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-29-2011, 11:06 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,615 times
Quote:
Money is tight now and I can no longer afford a gym membership. I also can't afford to buy weightlifting equipment; however, I do have a 60lb dumb bell.

In regards to eating, I can't afford to buy supplements/protein powders and pounds and pounds of chicken breast.

Is there anyway for me to build muscle or at least get a decent non-cardio workout? I know I could do pushups, but I doubt pushups will help me build muscle. Pushups are mainly an endurance exercise.

Are you unemployed and homeless or do gym memberships in the US cost a fortune?
I don't think I've heard money being an issue for working out before...
Get a job, being a school-janitor or garbageman or something should be enough to afford a gym membership and staying alive.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:

Lean ground beef, ground turkey, eggs, beans, bulk frozen brocolli and brown rice can be arranged in a variety of ways to make a good staple. These can all be had for an agreeable price and you supplement with what you can when you can.

The calorie content of each is pretty well established as is the macronutrient composition.

If you have dumbells, a floor, and a way to count calories and balance your macros you can still clean bulk on a budget.

You've probably already done this, but http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/ is a great resource for home training...

Old 07-25-2011, 07:51 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
you could do push ups with a backpack full of text books. You can start with one book and then two and so on. There are also many types of push ups that you can try.

also find the nearest park and do some pull ups on the monkey bars

mas23

Last edited by mas23; 07-25-2011 at 08:14 AM..

Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,615 times
Quote:

Like others have posted, you can use your own body for resistance and get in fantastic shape by mixing in some cardio. You can find dozens of exercises to do using google. I would also recommend finding resistance bands if you can since they are cheap (20 or 30 bucks) and add like 50 more types of exercises.

As far as diet goes, you do not need massive amounts of protein to get in shape or build some muscle. The only people who need huge amounts of protein are men who are on performance enhancing drugs and professional athletes. You don't sound like either.

There is arguably more evidence that bombarding your body with excess protein is more harmful than helpful. If your diet is junk, you're going to suffer regardless though.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:24 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Charles Atlas built muscle without weights or gyms. His program is still sold online. You can vary your body weight exercises by doing thing like negatives. An example is to slowly lower yourself during a push-up and then come back up at normal speed. When doing dumbbell curls, you lower weight slowly and raise it at normal speed. You could also see if your town/city has recreation centers that include a gym which has a treadmil, stationary bike, and or weights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness