Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:09 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times

Advertisements

As for weights, start out with small can goods they weigh about a 1lb each or small water bottles filled with water or sand, then evantually move up to gallon sized bottles ( I know its awkward but use them like kettle bells) .Some times, stores like walmart will discount the workout gear so check the clearance section. You can get healthy without a gym it just might take a bit longer..AS for food buy dried beans,peas, eggs, and canned fish for protien are very cheap. Vegies in season are always a great idea, and if you can, you could stock up and freeze for future use. You can get healthy withouy a gym membership you just need to really work at it. I hope things get better for you in the future and good luck on getting healthy

Last edited by michelleleigh; 07-30-2011 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 12:03 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
Build your own kettlebell for $10. Check your public library or online for a basic guide on how to get a full body workout with kettlebells. It'll eat your lunch in a good way.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:45 PM

325 posts, read 371,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Money is tight now and I can no longer afford a gym membership. I also can't afford to buy weightlifting equipment; however, I do have a 60lb dumb bell.

In regards to eating, I can't afford to buy supplements/protein powders and pounds and pounds of chicken breast.

Is there anyway for me to build muscle or at least get a decent non-cardio workout? I know I could do pushups, but I doubt pushups will help me build muscle. Pushups are mainly an endurance exercise.

Has anyone on here ever been in this situation?
Yep, been there. In addition to what others have said about using your own bodyweight, shopping creatively, etc., have you thought of actually working a few hours at a local gym? I know a lot of people in your same situation who chose to just put in a few hours at their local gym doing a random odd job in exchange for a little pocket change + a free membership. Many gyms only require about 10 hours a week to qualify. Also, consider using free trial memberships in your area. By the time you work through those, you will have gotten a couple of months of free gym time and maybe then your situation will have changed.

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:11 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
build muscle with little money? Sure, find heavy things and lift them repeatedly. Do push ups. Find a strong tree branch and do chin-ups. Lots of things you can do in the great outdoors to build muscle and it wont cost you a penny.

I did tons of push ups in the Army. They didnt do squat to help with my endurance. Running 4-8 miles a day was the endurance builder for me. FYI if you move your hands further out or closer in when you do push ups what muscles get worked on will change.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:29 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
build muscle with little money? Sure, find heavy things and lift them repeatedly. Do push ups. Find a strong tree branch and do chin-ups. Lots of things you can do in the great outdoors to build muscle and it wont cost you a penny.
Any other suggestions? i am in the same boat as the OP is.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:25 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Any other suggestions? i am in the same boat as the OP is.
google bodyyweight exercise or workout
calisthenics workout

Go to the library and check out their books on exercises. Sometimes parks have bars for chinups, dips, etc. Ask your local park authority about it.

Save your money and buy an inexpensive weight set with bench. I would say buy the bench new. But look in thrift stores for dumbells, bars, and iron plates.

Don't forget cardio which can be as simple as running, biking, hiking or as Lao has suggested a jump rope.

The most important thing is to just do it.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:35 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
poor people arents supposed to build muscle. you think i want some poor person to be more beefcake than i am?

Old 08-08-2011, 01:54 PM

11 posts, read 34,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Money is tight now and I can no longer afford a gym membership. I also can't afford to buy weightlifting equipment; however, I do have a 60lb dumb bell.

In regards to eating, I can't afford to buy supplements/protein powders and pounds and pounds of chicken breast.

Is there anyway for me to build muscle or at least get a decent non-cardio workout? I know I could do pushups, but I doubt pushups will help me build muscle. Pushups are mainly an endurance exercise.

Has anyone on here ever been in this situation?
Uhh..push-ups are actually great to build muscle. You are lifting your body weight. You can do regular push-ups, tricep dips, etc...and still buold muscle. You can also do squats and lunges to build muscle. Maybe hold something slightly heavy around the house and add some jump squats and weighted lunges.

As for the food....skip the supplements and protein powders. if you are eating right, you don't need this stuff anyways to build muscle. So may people think they need A LOT of protein, but in actuality, you are likely consuming too much! Make sure to eat plenty of carbs in addition to protein to fuel your workouts.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
google bodyyweight exercise or workout
calisthenics workout

Go to the library and check out their books on exercises. Sometimes parks have bars for chinups, dips, etc. Ask your local park authority about it.

Save your money and buy an inexpensive weight set with bench. I would say buy the bench new. But look in thrift stores for dumbells, bars, and iron plates.

Don't forget cardio which can be as simple as running, biking, hiking or as Lao has suggested a jump rope.

The most important thing is to just do it.

Thank you

Old 09-18-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Build your own kettlebell for $10. Check your public library or online for a basic guide on how to get a full body workout with kettlebells. It'll eat your lunch in a good way.
Any other equipment that you would suggest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness