Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:22 PM

89 posts, read 175,024 times

Advertisements

Hello,

what I would like would be some workout routine that would just give my body some tonus without impacting my weight too much. Or actually, not at all. I tried so hard to gain weight, and I finally am standing nicely at 114 pounds after quitting smoking 2 years ago and having a baby. I'm very happy with my current weight, but I seem not able to keep it, it creeps back down

The areas that I wish I could have more toned are:
- waist
- butt
- arms (upper arms).

Any suggestions? I never exercised indoor, only did jogging, bicycle and horse riding and I can;t do either of these now, with a 4 months baby around.
I was hoping you can think of some workout routines easy to obtain at home. I have some weights...and a mattress. And some handles that appear to be helpful for push=ups.

Also, if you can think of something healthy and nutritious, rich in calories, I'm also trying to keep my weight where I have it now and I keep loosing it, slowly
I'm trying with nuts, honey, cereals, milk, bread. Butter....and banana's. That's all I know that is supposed to pile up weight and I sort of learned that from noticing they;re banned in weight loss diets.

Please do not suggest chemical additives, I am nursing and would rather not resort to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 02:05 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
You should start counting calories and learning about nutrition. When you under eat chronically your body is flabbier. If you are losing at 114 with your current intake you probably are not getting enough nutrients either.

Try:
Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

They have exercises, education on nutrition and its free. They have a "living healthy" option that does not include weight loss. Track your eating for a couple months and if you are still losing on a "normal" amount of calories you may want to see if your thyroid is out of order. Talk to your doctor about it.

Also if you are breastfeeding, you need to eat more for that.:
NutritionData BMI & Calories Burned Calculator

That calculator has an option after selecting "F" so you can compare the amounts of calories you would need breast feeding or not.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:47 PM

I am not sure if I actually ate less than required, but I did smoke heavily. Up to 2 packs a day. After quitting, I quickly got back in shape but now, as I am breastfeeding, it started going down again.

However, both links are great. Thank you very much. I never did calorie counting, indeed.

Edit: oh wow! according to the calculator, I burn 2800 kcal daily?
So I take it that I should intake at least 2800 daily. Ok....

Wow that seems a lot suddenly.

Maybe I do under eat.

Thanks you

Last edited by Ina.Click; 07-09-2011 at 12:09 AM..

Old 07-09-2011, 10:07 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
You don't need to count calories, don't bore yourself. Cereal, milk and bread don't do much for you nutrition-wise. You need to add plenty of clean protein and lots of veggies to your diet. Do that and lift weights, especially large muscle groups (legs, chest and back).

Old 07-09-2011, 01:23 PM

By clean protein you mean meat?

Are those protein bars safe to eat? I was always spooked by the fact that mostly bodybuilders ate them, but someone told me they are pretty much harmless.

Edit: I love veggies, I eat plenty indeed!

How come cereals and bread are not helping? I kind of liked those...

Old 07-09-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina.Click View Post
By clean protein you mean meat?

Are those protein bars safe to eat? I was always spooked by the fact that mostly bodybuilders ate them, but someone told me they are pretty much harmless.

Edit: I love veggies, I eat plenty indeed!

How come cereals and bread are not helping? I kind of liked those...
Personally I don't eat protein bars because the vast majority contain an ingredient called "soy protein isolate" which in my opinion is a contaminated non-food item that is bad for most people and dangerous for women in particular to consume. I can write a lengthy diatribe about it but I won't. Lots of people swear by them so do your own research.

Yes, I mean meat among other things. Chicken (I only eat organic due to estrogen concerns; may not be as necessary for you), grass fed beef if you have access to it and can afford it, lamb, turkey, fish etc. Also vegetarian sources such as beans, mushrooms, quinoa, dense green vegetables like kale and broccoli, soy (NOT soy protein isolate, I mean tofu, tempeh & edamame... non-processed soy) nuts etc.

As to the question "how come cereals and bread are not helping" I'll answer your question with a question, one you should think about all the time when you choose what to eat: What are you getting from cereals and breads that you can't get elsewhere and in a better form? Wait, a second question - what are you getting from cereals and breads that do nothing for you?

They contain very few nutrients, which is why they are typically "enriched" meaning vitamins are added. Vitamins must be added back in because the wheat used to make these foods is so highly refined. Why not get those vitamins from food sources that contain them naturally, and contain a superior form of vitamin? Furthermore, thanks to that high refinement, these foods are broken down into sugar (glucose) in your body.

I could go on, but you should do your own research on this. You'll learn to make healthier choices on your own. Good books to read include titles like Real Food: What to Eat and Why by Nina Planck or if you want something super easy that you can plow through in an hour Food Rules by Michael Pollan.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post

As to the question "how come cereals and bread are not helping" I'll answer your question with a question, one you should think about all the time when you choose what to eat: What are you getting from cereals and breads that you can't get elsewhere and in a better form? Wait, a second question - what are you getting from cereals and breads that do nothing for you?
I was taught that they contain carbs, which are "the fuel" for your body, offering energy...and yadda yadda

Edit: thank you for the advice and recommendations for reading!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina.Click View Post
I was taught that they contain carbs, which are "the fuel" for your body, offering energy...and yadda yadda

Edit: thank you for the advice and recommendations for reading!
Carbs are good (people will claim otherwise but they are wrong), but white bread, cereal and pasta aren't "good" carbs.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:53 PM

I've just been told that the pre/post natal vitamins (pills) I was taking aren't much of a help, as they are synthetic and the absorption lvl is low, compared to "real" vitamins from fruits, veggies etc.

Could you confirm this? I'm quite puzzled, I actually do feel a change since I started taking them...could it be just placebo then?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:14 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
You don't need to count calories, don't bore yourself. Cereal, milk and bread don't do much for you nutrition-wise. You need to add plenty of clean protein and lots of veggies to your diet. Do that and lift weights, especially large muscle groups (legs, chest and back).
Well apparently she does as she was undereating. Being healthy and knowing what you are doing is not boring. Not all cereals are created equal and there are plenty that do much nutrition wise. Milk also has calcium and protein and is an easy way to sneak in more calories and help restore bones after having a baby.

OP: Counting calories is just a way to figure out proper portions and a balanced diet. If you are concerned about controlling your weight and eating balanced meals calorie counting is just part of that when your natural eating habits are not working. It does get to the point where you know all the food you like and can just go back to portions because you can eyeball it with practice. But to start out calorie counting is ideal because its simple and offers you a flexible diet while you figure out what macronutrient balance your body prefers. Macronurtients are the fat,carbs and proteins. Depending on how much you work out, your activity level and body type will help you pick the proper macronutrient balance. Calorie intake will stay generally the same even when adjusting carb levels etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness