Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 AM

67 posts, read 56,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiren View Post
Lose the fat around my stomach mostly. If I measure around my belly button it is 35". I have seen pics of people who were bigger than me and in 90 days were CUT! I know everyone is different, but this is where my concern comes from.

As I think about what you all say about the shakes, another question comes to mind. How much protein should I consume at one time? I have read; 1.5 grams of protein per lb. of actual weight, then divide that by the number of meals. Is that close? (as you can tell, nutrition is not my strong point )
Those promotional photos are bunk. They oil people up, have them cut a bunch of water weight the night before the shoot, and suck in their gut. The more corrupt ones will use photoshop. If you're comparing your results to that, you may as well compare yourself to a young Schwarzenegger.

At 43, you're going to have some belly fat. And if you're 6'1" and 173lbs, you probably have a minimal amount as compared to even the healthy population of this country.

Want to get those final few pounds off your belly? Stop worrying so much about your calories and belly fat. It's been proven that non-stop anxiety/stress adds lbs. Your apparently obsessive attitude combined with being laid off is probably adding girth to your belly, or making it difficult for you to burn calories efficiently, as the body stores more fat when the mind is distressed (an evolutionary response to fear/concern, i.e. our ancestors would be stressed about having food for winter, and the body would respond by storing more fat for long-term energy).

You're not going to look like Dwight Howard or even Matthew McConaghey. These guys pay thousands/maybe millions to trainers. Face it, you're doing good the way you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:55 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,012,670 times
Quote:
Lose the fat around my stomach mostly. If I measure around my belly button it is 35". I have seen pics of people who were bigger than me and in 90 days were CUT! I know everyone is different, but this is where my concern comes from.
I'd cut out some more calories. At 1800 a day, you can still cut another 300 or so without going too low, as 1500 is about the recommended minimum for active men.

Are you currently still making progress, or have you hit a plateau? Another thing to keep in mind is that your not everyone is going to see six pack abs at the same time. Body composition, skin tightness and other factors mean you could have to drop 2 or 3 more body fat percentages to see the same abs that someone else might have. Or you might have to lose less. Nothing is ever uniform in fitness.

Quote:
As I think about what you all say about the shakes, another question comes to mind. How much protein should I consume at one time? I have read; 1.5 grams of protein per lb. of actual weight, then divide that by the number of meals. Is that close? (as you can tell, nutrition is not my strong point )
Opinions vary, but I'm in the camp that says you should have 1g of protein for every pound of lean body weight, and I'm almost certain you're hitting that goal now. I would consider ditching the morning protein shake and substituting a real, high protein meal. Eggs and a meat would be good here.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:59 PM

5 posts, read 8,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I'd cut out some more calories. At 1800 a day, you can still cut another 300 or so without going too low, as 1500 is about the recommended minimum for active men.
Right now I have about :mumbles:19% body fat. I would like to see it more around 16%-17%. Since I have 15-20 pounds to lose, vanity pounds, I was thinking increasing my calories to 2000-2200. From what I read that will help keep my body from going into starvation mode (but what do I know of nutrition ) If I cut them down to 1500, I am hungry more often. I see results, but not as much as before. I still take photos as well. It appears that you can see some results, more definition in areas.

I am almost done with this bag of protein shake. After that, I will cut out all shakes, but the one for breakfast and replace my other shakes with chicken. I am eating about 177 grams of protein. What is a good formula for figuring your body fat % and lean muscle? I found this http://www.ehow.com/how_4798376_calc...body-mass.html. Is it good enough or pure hog wash?

Last edited by Xiren; 07-19-2011 at 06:17 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Right now I have about :mumbles:19% body fat. I would like to see it more around 16%-17%.
That's not too bad. What was your percentage before you started working out?

Quote:
Since I have 15-20 pounds to lose, vanity pounds, I was thinking increasing my calories to 2000-2200. From what I read that will help keep my body from going into starvation mode (but what do I know of nutrition ) If I cut them down to 1500, I am hungry more often. I see results, but not as much as before. I still take photos as well. It appears that you can see some results, more definition in areas.
Going into that range would be more maintenance and even borderline bulking. You get down to around 1500 calories and you'll see your weight loss pick back up. If you get hungry, just eat some lean meats or something else low in calories. No reason to have to starve yourself.

Quote:
I am almost done with this bag of protein shake. After that, I will cut out all shakes, but the one for breakfast and replace my other shakes with chicken.
Which protein are you using?

Quote:
I am eating about 177 grams of protein.
Sounds like you are getting plenty of protein. I wouldn't worry about adjusting this too much.

Quote:
What is a good formula for figuring your body fat % and lean muscle? I found this How to Calculate Lean Body Mass | eHow.com. Is it good enough or pure hog wash?
That's good enough. There are other formulas that take other measurements into consideration as well.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 PM

3,490 posts, read 8,210,561 times
My husband and I have done multiple rounds of P90X - I am not a itness expert or a nutritional expert.

However I have done a sh*t ton of research on what to eat during P90X.

Ignore the poster who is telling your to cut further calories!!!! You are probably in starvation mode as it is. Assuming you are giving the P90X workouts everything you've got, as a guy 1800 cals a day is too little - in fact I was eating between 1650 - 1850 cals a day myself.

Also I have no problems with protein powder and still use it now, although only 1 scoop a day in with my oatmeal for breakfast.

You need to eat a LOT at breakfast.... but it needs to be good or you stuff.

My breakfast (when I'm working out hard) is 3/4 cup Oatmeal - (the type that takes at least 5 minutes to cook, not instant) with 1/4 cup Almond milk, 1/2 cup of mixed frozen berries and 1 scoop protein powder.

That's a BIG breakfast and sets me up for a good day's workout.

You ARE seeing results. Give yourself credit for what you have achieved and don't give up.

Adding in some Insanity at this point might be a good idea to keep things fresh, but p90x is great as it is.

Remember you cannot spot reduce weight. Your belly area might be your problem area, but fat comes off in sheets and it takes time. Keep with it, and you'll be amazed at your results!

Oh and the P90X results are real - they just shot a new infomercial and I 'know' a lot of the people in it from the P90X message boards and I've been seeing their progress as they go along.

The P90X producers literally log onto the boards and ask people to submit their pics and a video.

I too take much longer than some people to see results I am happy with - we really are all built differently and sadly some of us struggle more than others.

I'm taking 2 months off P90X and Insanity right now and am taking a bunch of classes at the gym instead.

The personal trainer I'm working with while I'm at the gym has been complimenting me a lot on both my fitness levels and strength. I was a marshmallow when I started P90X - couldn't do 1 push up. Now I can do most things although "I presently struggle with" doing unassisted pull ups.

Anyway, sorry for the essay - I just wanted to give you some encouragement! Keep at it and eat a little more (clean) calories. You can do it!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Ignore the poster who is telling your to cut further calories!!!! You are probably in starvation mode as it is. Assuming you are giving the P90X workouts everything you've got, as a guy 1800 cals a day is too little - in fact I was eating between 1650 - 1850 cals a day myself.
LOL WUT?

Seriously, I've been around this block a time or two. The OP is not going to suffer any adverse effects from a few weeks of a major calorie deficit. His calorie intake for pure maintenance of current weight is going to be around 2100 calories a day, and knocking 500 off of that is the prevailing theory for calorie deficit based weight loss.

He'll be fine.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
LOL WUT?

Seriously, I've been around this block a time or two. The OP is not going to suffer any adverse effects from a few weeks of a major calorie deficit. His calorie intake for pure maintenance of current weight is going to be around 2100 calories a day, and knocking 500 off of that is the prevailing theory for calorie deficit based weight loss.

He'll be fine.
Lol, you can read what I posted.
The OP has lost a lot of weight already and has a 'normal' body fat percentage.

He would like to spot reduce fat around his waist. Sadly or the OP this isn't really how weight loss works, and encourging him to go urther into starvation mode is not going to help him in the long term either.

2100 cals MAY be his maintanence cals, but he will be burning 700 - 1100 cals doing P90X.

He's in starvation mode.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Lol, you can read what I posted.
Oh I can read it, sweetheart, I was simply expressing my disbelief at the lack of knowledge displayed.

Quote:
The OP has lost a lot of weight already and has a 'normal' body fat percentage.
Yes, he's lost a good amount of weight, but he wants to lose more. He's hit a plateau as one would expect and now he needs to break through, and you don't do that by adding calories.

Quote:
He would like to spot reduce fat around his waist. Sadly or the OP this isn't really how weight loss works, and encourging him to go urther into starvation mode is not going to help him in the long term either.
Obiously he can't spot reduce fat. He's going to have to just keep losing the weight and it will come off eventually.

Quote:
but he will be burning 700 - 1100 cals doing P90X.
Who sold you this line of crap? Your estimates are only about 75% to 175% over the realistic numbers.

Quote:
He's in starvation mode.
He'll need to get to around 1000-1200 calories a day to legitimately be in starvation mode. He has plenty of cushion.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 PM

Listen - I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you. I disagree with you and have given my opinion based on my experience with P90X, EXTENSIVE discussion with other P90X graduates and both my and my husband's use of heart rate monitors to track calories.

My advice to the OP would be to check out the Beachbody forums - get on the P90X specific threads and find a coach willing to help.
That's what I did with remarkable success.

Those people know what they are talking about and the attitude over there is one of absolute help and support.

If you don't know that you can bust through a plateau by increasing calories if you already in starvation mode then really nothing I can say will make you understand differently.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:47 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,981,690 times
Quote:
Oh I can read it, sweetheart, I was simply expressing my disbelief at the lack of knowledge displayed.

Yes, he's lost a good amount of weight, but he wants to lose more. He's hit a plateau as one would expect and now he needs to break through, and you don't do that by adding calories.

Obiously he can't spot reduce fat. He's going to have to just keep losing the weight and it will come off eventually.

Who sold you this line of crap? Your estimates are only about 75% to 175% over the realistic numbers.

He'll need to get to around 1000-1200 calories a day to legitimately be in starvation mode. He has plenty of cushion.
Bosco, have you done P90x? The OP was specifically asking about nutrition while on P90x. I think you may be the one displaying the lack of knowledge on this topic.

If he is taking in 1500 calories and burning 1000 calories on P90x. His body will be in starvation mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness