Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:29 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

Get a book about "glycemic index" and switch to the foods on that list. That is in a nutshell. My husband and I were kidding ourselves about how much we thought we were eating, and are now trying to lose at least 20 lbs each. We switched our diets as follows -no refined carbs, instead just whole grain breads and pastas, little or no sugar except natural (from fruit) no meat, pork or deli, just chicken and fish, veggies, limited nuts, fruits, natural cereal like oatmeal or shredded wheat and some dairy. We also work out. We watch our portions now and we are LOSING WEIGHT! It really does have to be a lifestyle change, everything you put in your mouth counts.

It really helps to read books on the subject because it explains how the body works, how certain foods cause inflammation, and stress and inflammation cause the release of cortisol which contributes to belly fat, etc.

Bottom line to the OP - you MUST change your diet, pronto - it's not just the weight you are going to have major health issues down the road if you don't start eating more healthy.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 06:33 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Seems that all of these plans boil down to first getting rid of sugar and other simple carbs. Choosing the remaining balance of fats, proteins, and complex carbs should be based on how well it keeps you from eating too much while getting the nutrients you need. Personally I lean toward higher fat and lower complex carbs but I'm sure for other people, like the poster above, different proportions work just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness