Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:33 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,040,399 times

Advertisements

I want to join a gym, but I don't want to directly touch the equipment after others have touched it, so if I wore plastic gloves while working out, would that seem odd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,825,736 times
I don't think I would even notice, but perhaps you could use the sanitation spray or wipes provided instead. My gym requires that every member use the spray provided to clean each piece of equipment when you are finished using it. Some people do not do so and if you think it would bother you, then you could just wipe it down before and after using it.
A less practical approach would be to buy a few pairs of gloves designed for lifting weights and rotate them so you could wash them as needed. They help prevent callouses, not germs, but could provide a barrier between your skin and the equipment.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,238,924 times
If you want to wear rubber gloves that's your perrogative.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 AM

448 posts, read 1,047,796 times
I agree with tlb71. weight lifting gloves would give you appropriate grip and plastic/vinyl rubber gloves would probably rip easily....and it would look a little weird I have to admit. I would be reluctant to use equipment after you because I would wonder if you had some yucky weeping wound you were covering up....just a thought. I don't worry so much about the stuff you touch with your hands, because it is easy to wash your hands. I think the shower floor, and things you lay/sit on are of more concern.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:45 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,874,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmousern View Post
I would be reluctant to use equipment after you because I would wonder if you had some yucky weeping wound you were covering up....just a thought. I don't worry so much about the stuff you touch with your hands, because it is easy to wash your hands. I think the shower floor, and things you lay/sit on are of more concern.
I would wonder the same thing too and would probably have someone on the staff check on you to be sure that youre not contagious.

Just be sure that if you use the shower to wear flip flops so your feet will never touch the floor. That is where all the germs are.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:56 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,040,355 times
Freeweights will tear through plastic or rubber sanitation gloves after a few reps. You would need to wear heavy-duty work gloves and your hands would sweat something awful.

If you're worried about it, I would just get a pair of lifting gloves to give you a psychological barrier. It's all in your head, after all. Just wash your hands before and after and don't touch your face during.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:13 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,238,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
....to give you a psychological barrier. It's all in your head, after all. Just wash your hands before and after and don't touch your face during.
Well said.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:15 PM

2,434 posts, read 6,665,041 times
I use weightlifting gloves when I workout, plus I bring a hand towel and whenever I'm doing an exercise where my head comes in contact with the equipment I put the towel down, (always the same side).

I wouldn't use plastic gloves, unless they are very heavy and sturdy. Otherwise they'll probably just tear.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:55 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,956,169 times
If you are going to use plastic gloves, you better be prepared to buy a whole carton of them at Costco and bring that carton with you for every workout session because they are going to tear immediately. Why not just use workout gloves? They are very sturdy and you can also get the cushioned ones.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:43 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,924,679 times
Wipe down the equipment before and after use. Most gyms keep papertowels and bottles of sanitizing spray at designated areas for the guests. I don't know if you're using the plastic/latex gloves alone but I wonder how dangerous that would be to you. I don't know if you can keep a safe grip with something that will stretch, twist and rip so easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness