Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 01:58 PM

861 posts, read 1,124,547 times

Advertisements

I really hate counting everything I eat, but then again I am still not losing anything my weight stays constant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 02:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
lazy is what got you fat to begin with

Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
lazy is what got you fat to begin with
So you are saying I should start counting?

Old 07-21-2011, 02:06 PM

165 posts, read 405,827 times
I read somewhere that the average person under-estimates their caloric intake by 50% or more. So, if you think you are eating 1800 kcal per day, you are probably eating closer to 2700 kcal per day. If you don't count it and log it, then you really have no idea at all.

Stop being lazy and journal your food intake so you can monitor what goes in. Remember to lose weight, calories in < calories out!

Old 07-21-2011, 02:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
So you are saying I should start counting?
well you are going to have to lower your calorie intake to less than what you burn in a given day. i would think the best way to control that will be to know how many calories you are eating, so i suggest counting.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:10 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Or simply eat half of what you would normally eat.

Counting the cals is almost certainly a better option.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:04 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
OP - if your weight is steady, you can lose weight by eating less than you do and/or exercising more.

But the eating less part is awfully hard to assess without counting calories. It is easier for most people to count the calories they take in than count the calories they burn up.

I don't think you have to count calories for the rest of your life. But it sounds to me like you don't really have a feel for what it takes to lose weight.

What did you eat yesterday? Every single item.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:36 PM

258 posts, read 450,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

I don't think you have to count calories for the rest of your life.
I can attest to this statement although not sure if my explanation was what this poster meant.

Once you get used to it and get familiar with the calorie count of most foods and ingredients, you can estimate the calories. At leadt thats what happened to me. My coworkers used to ask me when out for lunch for certain meals then go check on the Internet once back at work. They would grossly underestimate and I'd get within 50-100 calories give or take.

I advise using a calorie counter on your phone or Internet. Nowadays there are so many neat apps, some can even have you scan the barcode and it adds it to that day, or something you can just type in and search for like "bagel and cream cheese"

It's pretty easy and barely takes a minute each time.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
What did you eat yesterday? Every single item.
This is exactly what I wanted to ask the OP.

Oftentimes, its not so much how much a person eats, its WHAT they eat. There are those here who disagree with me on this, but if you know what to eat (i.e., good healthy nutritious food) you dont really have to know the exact amount of what you are eating, you just eat smaller portions. Of course its great and optimal to know and dio both.

OP, what did you eat yesterday?

What is your average workout routine?

What do you do in your workouts?

I HATE counting calories. HATE IT. So what Ive done was find a good low calorie (and healthy) eating diet and I stick with it. The "get fit quick" cutting diet found in "The New HIT Training" book by Darden and another sports nutrition book that I have (cant remember the name) have GREAT complete meal plans and recipies already outlined. I just follow the recipies and viola (sp)!!! Great low cal HEALTHY eating. It takes all the guesswork and difficulty out of the equation. I suggest picking up a book similar to these for the HEALTHY meal plans and while you are eating this over the course of a few weeks, pick up another book or two on NUTRITION so you can learn for yourself how to eat and you'll be well on your way to losing weight.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
This is exactly what I wanted to ask the OP.

Oftentimes, its not so much how much a person eats, its WHAT they eat. There are those here who disagree with me on this, but if you know what to eat (i.e., good healthy nutritious food) you dont really have to know the exact amount of what you are eating, you just eat smaller portions. Of course its great and optimal to know and dio both.

OP, what did you eat yesterday?

What is your average workout routine?

What do you do in your workouts?

I HATE counting calories. HATE IT. So what Ive done was find a good low calorie (and healthy) eating diet and I stick with it. The "get fit quick" cutting diet found in "The New HIT Training" book by Darden and another sports nutrition book that I have (cant remember the name) have GREAT complete meal plans and recipies already outlined. I just follow the recipies and viola (sp)!!! Great low cal HEALTHY eating. It takes all the guesswork and difficulty out of the equation. I suggest picking up a book similar to these for the HEALTHY meal plans and while you are eating this over the course of a few weeks, pick up another book or two on NUTRITION so you can learn for yourself how to eat and you'll be well on your way to losing weight.
What I ate yesterday:
breakfast:
skipped
Lunch:
Greek yogurt/banana
Snack:
Red velvet cake
Dinner:
Hooters wings(about 4 wings) & rice(1 & 1/2 cup)
Dessert: Ice cream cake (it was my brothers bday)
midnight snack:
coco puffs w/ whole milk
Average workout routine:
3 to 4 miles jogging sometimes Pilates/strength training

When jogging I walk for a little run for a little and repeat
Strength training I do Jackie warner or Jillian micheals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness