Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 01:30 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times

Advertisements

I go to this pretty small decent equipped gym called Fitness 19. Its about $15 a month and real close to my home so I can't complain. You can get a pretty good priced 2-year deal from Costco. I did that for a few years as well. Got it online using my buddies Costco card. Just print it out and give it to 24 Hour Fitness. It was like $10 a month for two years. I know they have increased the price but its still like $16 a month.

I consider going to the gym the cheapest hobby in the world. Considering the amount of time spent for $15 a month. Say you go 3 times a week for 90 minutes per time. 4.5 hours a week, thats'a bout 20 hours a month for $15 bucks...can't get any cheaper entertainment than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 02:14 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
So what do gyms cost? cheap ones, expensive ones?
It's the time I don't have.

When you work a 12 hour day, commute 2.5 hours to work and try to spend enough time with your wife that you don't end up divorced, there simply aren't enough hours in the day to justify wasting money on a gym membership I'll never use.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:09 PM

145 posts, read 358,632 times
if they can afford to eat fast food and other junk food they spend every month==== this money they can easily use for the gym, I only pay $33 a month

Old 07-10-2013, 04:43 PM

437 posts, read 649,521 times
"Gym membership fee. How can people not afford it."

wow. OK..... at 51, I have more compassion and understanding, borne from years of experience and pain, and so I refuse to answer with emotion, only facts as I see them.

As an incredibly FIT, 51 yr old woman, I cannot afford a gym. I USED to, but at the stage of my life NOW, I cannot. So I do without. And I used FreeCycle to get some weights, a bar, dumbbells and more.

YES, it's harder to motivate myself to work HARD, here at the apt. with no mirrors and no mats and a Bulldog that doesn't like to leave me alone for any length of time... and yet, if THAT'S what I have to work with, THAT'S what I work with.

YES, there are a LOT of people who cannot afford a gym, and it's not an excuse. To say that is not ignorant, it's judgmental and elitist. There's no excuse for not knowing the world exists outside of your "bubble".

Glad to see the Viking guy came around, AFTER DOING SOME HOMEWORK, about how bad things are here, and can now visualize, *blurred, no doubt*, what a great deal of us, here in the U.S., are coping with.

Don't tell me about not having time. I have a disability that takes DAYS away from me, at a time, and yet, when I'm well, I lift, I pump, I use my own body weight and get an amazing program in. 20 minutes. That's all you need.

A GYM? YOU DO NOT NEED ONE. And if anyone cannot, AT THIS POINT, understand that some cannot afford even $10 a month, then you are truly lacking in empathy, compassion and REALITY.

Do the math. I don't care where you live now, the OP was pretty blatant about the statement that not affording a gym was an incredulous notion..... so let's take a big city and work from there.

You're whatever age you are, doesn't matter, and you've lost your job. Now you're working for $10/$12 an hour at Target, with a college degree and years of experience in your given field. Your rent is $900 a month, utilities are $200 a month, maybe less, maybe more, in some areas of the country. You have to pay taxes, fees the city demands, insurance on a car, IF you have one, and then gas, upkeep, parking... or transit fees, if you're sans auto. Now there are essentials such as food, toiletries, maybe medication, renter insurance, or homeowners.... and that's just the beginning.

This isn't how you had envisioned your life, and yet, there you are. No longer able to afford your $900 apartment, you're evicted and now have a hard time getting into another, because the credit check shows you were unable to pay rent at your last place of residence, or WORSE, you lost your house and now have to try to scramble to find a deposit to put on an apt., find a roommate and hope they don't check your credit.

How can so many NOT afford a gym? smh...... This truly is one of the most narcissistic threads to which I have responded. I hope the OP and those who, early on, and not so early on, responded with arrogant and unkind responses, can see reality as it pertains to someone OTHER THAN THEIR OWN SELF.

Edjumacation. It goes a long way, but it doesn't always pay the bills.... and certainly for a LOT of people, it won't pay for a gym membership.

bullie~

Old 07-11-2013, 04:46 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
"Gym membership fee. How can people not afford it."

wow. OK..... at 51, I have more compassion and understanding, borne from years of experience and pain, and so I refuse to answer with emotion, only facts as I see them.

As an incredibly FIT, 51 yr old woman, I cannot afford a gym. I USED to, but at the stage of my life NOW, I cannot. So I do without. And I used FreeCycle to get some weights, a bar, dumbbells and more.

YES, it's harder to motivate myself to work HARD, here at the apt. with no mirrors and no mats and a Bulldog that doesn't like to leave me alone for any length of time... and yet, if THAT'S what I have to work with, THAT'S what I work with.

YES, there are a LOT of people who cannot afford a gym, and it's not an excuse. To say that is not ignorant, it's judgmental and elitist. There's no excuse for not knowing the world exists outside of your "bubble".

Glad to see the Viking guy came around, AFTER DOING SOME HOMEWORK, about how bad things are here, and can now visualize, *blurred, no doubt*, what a great deal of us, here in the U.S., are coping with.

Don't tell me about not having time. I have a disability that takes DAYS away from me, at a time, and yet, when I'm well, I lift, I pump, I use my own body weight and get an amazing program in. 20 minutes. That's all you need.

A GYM? YOU DO NOT NEED ONE. And if anyone cannot, AT THIS POINT, understand that some cannot afford even $10 a month, then you are truly lacking in empathy, compassion and REALITY.

Do the math. I don't care where you live now, the OP was pretty blatant about the statement that not affording a gym was an incredulous notion..... so let's take a big city and work from there.

You're whatever age you are, doesn't matter, and you've lost your job. Now you're working for $10/$12 an hour at Target, with a college degree and years of experience in your given field. Your rent is $900 a month, utilities are $200 a month, maybe less, maybe more, in some areas of the country. You have to pay taxes, fees the city demands, insurance on a car, IF you have one, and then gas, upkeep, parking... or transit fees, if you're sans auto. Now there are essentials such as food, toiletries, maybe medication, renter insurance, or homeowners.... and that's just the beginning.

This isn't how you had envisioned your life, and yet, there you are. No longer able to afford your $900 apartment, you're evicted and now have a hard time getting into another, because the credit check shows you were unable to pay rent at your last place of residence, or WORSE, you lost your house and now have to try to scramble to find a deposit to put on an apt., find a roommate and hope they don't check your credit.

How can so many NOT afford a gym? smh...... This truly is one of the most narcissistic threads to which I have responded. I hope the OP and those who, early on, and not so early on, responded with arrogant and unkind responses, can see reality as it pertains to someone OTHER THAN THEIR OWN SELF.

Edjumacation. It goes a long way, but it doesn't always pay the bills.... and certainly for a LOT of people, it won't pay for a gym membership.

bullie~
Maybe those college students working at target should have chose better majors. I dont see many struggling nurses with 2 year degrees. Why someone would pick some of these basically useless 4 year degrees is beyond me.

I have been working since I was 13. I was a male CNA in college changing elderly peoples diapers and bathing them. I've welded outside in leathers in texas heat and sun on 300 degree pipes for years.

Yeah, no much sympathy for those college educated making $12 at target. Should have picked a different degree or chose a different route.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-11-2013, 06:30 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
I know college educated people doing social service jobs making under $30k. Should they have just "picked a better career" and stop helping people?

Some people do not have spare money in their budget and the gym is a luxury.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I know college educated people doing social service jobs making under $30k. Should they have just "picked a better career" and stop helping people?

Some people do not have spare money in their budget and the gym is a luxury.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
1. That is not target.

2. They chose that career, like priests. Money should not be their priority or complaint.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:53 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times
If you REALLY can't afford a gym membership, you need to work on your finance management.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:37 PM

437 posts, read 649,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Maybe those college students working at target should have chose better majors. I dont see many struggling nurses with 2 year degrees. Why someone would pick some of these basically useless 4 year degrees is beyond me.

I have been working since I was 13. I was a male CNA in college changing elderly peoples diapers and bathing them. I've welded outside in leathers in texas heat and sun on 300 degree pipes for years.

Yeah, no much sympathy for those college educated making $12 at target. Should have picked a different degree or chose a different route.

I can't even offer you ignorance for your insolent comments. Someone who makes comments such as you, are in serious need of a WAKE UP call.

LIFE happens, darlin'...... You may see it coming, and be able to prepare for it, and other times, there's NO warning, and you're left with nothing.

ANYONE on this thread who has a SUPERIORITY COMPLEX about people who, NO MATTER WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN THEIR LIFE, or WHAT THEY MAJORED IN, IN COLLEGE, or DIDN'T PLAN WELL ENOUGH, has a hell of a lot of GROWING UP to do.

I wish ya well, and I'm gonna be waiting for ya'll.... on the "other end" of your stupidity. 'Cause those of us who have LIVED A FULL life, and maybe one that hasn't treated us well, NO MATTER OUR PLANNING, will be waiting for ya.

And ya know what? We'll be compassionate.

bullie~

Old 07-11-2013, 08:52 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
So I see over and over again both here and on the weightloss forum how people say they can't afford a gym membership, or don't want to put out so much "hard earned money"(sounds like you'd have to work your hands bleeding for a day to get a dollar) for a membership etc... but looking around I can't think of anyone but a bum in the streets who'd be able to blame that here... So I get curious just how expensive can it be?

So the cost here for a student is about $200, and about $300 for any other adult/year.
The most expensive gyms take about $1000/year, I'd pay that if they were closer because they're less crowded, wouldn't be a problem to afford it either, even on my low pay-check.

So what do gyms cost? cheap ones, expensive ones?
Nice. I do have a gym membership with my employer's health club but I'll be canceling it soon. Yes, my wife and I have satellite TV, Internet, and smart phones. Sure we could give up one of them and I could continue my gym membership. But my wife needs those things for the sake of her sanity. She suffers from several spinal problems. She's been in constant pain for the past 5 years and it's only getting worse. She uses the satellite TV and Internet for entertainment when she's bed ridden. She uses the smart phone for Internet and to connect with relatives in other states and to use in emergencies when on the road. Your priority is your gym. Not everyone has such priorities nor the disposable income to use for a gym. When my sister and brother-in-law were first married, they would dig through the couch and car and count the change to see what food they could afford. No, they did not have cable or satellite TV and Internet wasn't around at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness