Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:12 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Nothing wrong with finishing slower. In fact, if you are lifting heavy, its smart to take a bit longer between sets to have full power. If you are lifting lighter and want to get your heartbeat up, then I'd say take shorter rest periods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
This.

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you are doing heavy or very technical lifts - go slow and make sure you're being safe.

If you are doing HIIT or some other sort of "circuit" training, keeping an aggressive pace is important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
do it at the pace that works for you.
The 3 quotes above combined together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 09:27 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Rushing through a workout is bad. It just increases your chance of injury. Its best to shoot for proper form instead. The only time where its good to go faster is if you have a cardio session that you want to blast away a lot of calories with. BUT you should not sacrifice good form for speed in that case either.
i guess it depends on how much of a rush we are talking about. it shouldnt really take extra time to use proper form.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:59 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Huh, my moderate workouts take 1/2 and hour. Hard workouts usually last 10-20 minutes.

What on earth could you do for 3-4 hours that is exercise related?????
Deadlift heavy. Followed by squatting heavy.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:46 AM

322 posts, read 937,559 times
As others have said, go at your own pace to work out safely. The only benefit to finishing a workout quickly is having more time in the day to do other things. It does nothing for your body. Keeping your rest period between sets short is just a way of increasing your heart rate and metabolism and therefore calorie/fat burning, but by no means should you rush a workout.
That being said, perhaps another way of wording it is "should I spend several hours in the gym when I workout?". The answer to that is No. Working out for too long (also known as over training) is not good because after a certain point your body will start burning away calories essential for muscle recovery and growth. You want keep your workouts to around 45 minutes to 1 and 1/2 hours depending on the type of exercise (weight training, cardio, sports), how many times a day you exercise (i.e jog in the morning, basketball game in afternoon, weight train at evening), and how intensely you exercise. If you exercise multiple times a day, you want to make sure you get enough proper nutrition and rest between each time. If one of your exercises is intense, go easier on the other one(s) or save them for another day.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:57 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i guess it depends on how much of a rush we are talking about. it shouldnt really take extra time to use proper form.
It doesn't take massive amounts of time of course. But you know how people move sloppy to finish up sets or will skip adjusting machines for ht. Rushes like that are not good at all.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuyandGal View Post
As others have said, go at your own pace to work out safely. The only benefit to finishing a workout quickly is having more time in the day to do other things. It does nothing for your body. Keeping your rest period between sets short is just a way of increasing your heart rate and metabolism and therefore calorie/fat burning, but by no means should you rush a workout.
That being said, perhaps another way of wording it is "should I spend several hours in the gym when I workout?". The answer to that is No. Working out for too long (also known as over training) is not good because after a certain point your body will start burning away calories essential for muscle recovery and growth. You want keep your workouts to around 45 minutes to 1 and 1/2 hours depending on the type of exercise (weight training, cardio, sports), how many times a day you exercise (i.e jog in the morning, basketball game in afternoon, weight train at evening), and how intensely you exercise. If you exercise multiple times a day, you want to make sure you get enough proper nutrition and rest between each time. If one of your exercises is intense, go easier on the other one(s) or save them for another day.
Overtraining is not working out for too long. Nor is there a specific time that it happens in. Look at some of the Russian Olympic lifters. Their training was 2-3 sessions of 2 hours each per day.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
It doesn't take massive amounts of time of course. But you know how people move sloppy to finish up sets or will skip adjusting machines for ht. Rushes like that are not good at all.
i see some weird form in the gym. the worst thing you can do is injure yourself, especially a back injury.

i will say though, some of the most beefcake guys in the gym will do extreme heavy weights and do partial motion exercises. its not really what ive done but you cant argue with beefcake.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quickly?? The gym is my only hiding place lately. It makes me forget my demons and regrets of the outside world. Then I can go home and sleep, coz I am terribly tired. I've dropped 6.5 pounds in one week. At least, that's a good thing.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:54 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Rushing through a workout is bad. It just increases your chance of injury. Its best to shoot for proper form instead. The only time where its good to go faster is if you have a cardio session that you want to blast away a lot of calories with. BUT you should not sacrifice good form for speed in that case either.

When I do a workout of 10-20 minutes, I do not rush through it. By design, high intensity training is short and you put forward a lot more effort in that period of time as compared to say a 45 minute workout.

Think about weight training. If you use the formula force=mass*acceleration.........well, you are generating a lot more power and thus working your body harder if you move weights faster during positive motions.

And of course I get my body nice and hot before a workout, makes me much more supple. Good technique, yep, I keep an eye on that.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:58 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Deadlift heavy. Followed by squatting heavy.
Wow, do you just have an eye on getting huge and strong (nothing wrong with that)??? I mean, if you shorten your workout and cut way back on the rest periods you will gain endurance. But then I digress, probably a lot of hot chicks to gawk at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness