Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 12:01 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,256 times

Advertisements

Hard to say, but dips is definatly fighting up in the top together with inclined dumbell press and power-cleans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 05:24 PM

366 posts, read 774,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
Would you consider Dips the best chest exercise in your opinion? Or is there another chest exercise that does a better overall job?
Pushups: 3 sets, 15+ reps

Old 08-01-2011, 06:10 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Dips are probably the best bodyweight chest exercise along with pushups. But I wouldnt call them the absolute BEST.

I'll stand down on this one and let Captain, Bosco, Davachka, Hooligan answer. I dont really concentrate on developing the chest because oversized pecs diminish punching power. As a martial artist/fighter, I aim for every physical advantage I can get. Developing huge pecs is counter productive to being able to transfer a lot of force when one is punching.

I'll agree that push-ups/bench press and dips should be two of your staple excercises for chest. I'm no bodybuilder, so if you're trying for maximum hypertrophy - I can't tell you what's the best.

I will say that Jim Wendler, who has forgotten more about getting strong than I'll ever know, uses bench as one of the 4 movements for his strength building program (bench, deadlift, squat and overhead press).

So, bench/push-ups and dips should be a big part of your routine for chest, IMO.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:42 PM

324 posts, read 877,003 times
Dips...for chest...meh....I don't see any carry over. Me getting stronger at dips made me stronger at dips.

You need to develop both upper and lower pec if you want a nicely developed chest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness