Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times

Advertisements

So basically if you are given a genetic option to have to spend less on food, you would buy/eat it anyway and cost yourself additional dollars in the healthcare needed to treat obesity related illness issues?

I don't know if that sounds like a good idea.

Its not about what other think. The human body is not designed to operate in a healthy manner when overweight or obese. Your organs could give two poos about social rules.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
So basically if you are given a genetic option to have to spend less on food, you would buy/eat it anyway and cost yourself additional dollars in the healthcare needed to treat obesity related illness issues?

I don't know if that sounds like a good idea.

Its not about what other think. The human body is not designed to operate in a healthy manner when overweight or obese. Your organs could give two poos about social rules.
I doubt that. A certain amount of excess weight is OK. Of course I am not speaking of people weighing 150kg, but, well, normal people with 10 or 15kg more than what you think is ideal. There are also seasonal fluctuations.
Nature doesn't say humans have to be athletic.
Even many animals are overweight, gorillas for instance are not just strong, but oftentimes also a bit chubby

Old 09-01-2011, 11:58 AM

I am not talking about ideals. I am talking about a healthy range. And you most certainly have unhealthy changes with 10-15 extra pounds you don't need of excess body fat.

Lose ten pounds to improve your health | ANewDayANewMe

If you don't exercise at all, at any weight you are going to be setting yourself up for heart disease and diabetes among many other things. Nature DOES require to use your body like it or not.

Gorillas? Silly comparison as its an absolutely different animal in a different setting that only lives to about 35 in the wild. I personally would like to live past next year. How about you? They also eat about 50 lbs of food a day...hmmm...do not ever want to even try that.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I am not talking about ideals. I am talking about a healthy range. And you most certainly have unhealthy changes with 10-15 extra pounds you don't need of excess body fat.

Lose ten pounds to improve your health | ANewDayANewMe

If you don't exercise at all, at any weight you are going to be setting yourself up for heart disease and diabetes among many other things. Nature DOES require to use your body like it or not.

Gorillas? Silly comparison as its an absolutely different animal in a different setting that only lives to about 35 in the wild. I personally would like to live past next year. How about you? They also eat about 50 lbs of food a day...hmmm...do not ever want to even try that.

I do speak of some people's ideal because nature does not know any BMI etc. Fitness is a business which many people make a lot of money from.

Regarding fitness, hearth attack etc., I remember a program on identical twins. There was a pair of brothers, one living a very unhealthy life in London, no exercise, unhealthy food, smoking, you name it. His brother in Australia the exact opposite, a real fitness freak. One day the one living in London suffered a heart attack and they called his brother in Australia. As they were both part of that study on twins, the one living in Australia thought it would be good to see his doctor, just to be on the safe side. And the doctor discovered that the fit brother was about to have a heart attack as well and sent him to hospital right away.
I am not advocating being a couch potato, but I certainly don't do any exercising. I don't have a car, so I walk everywhere, that is enough.

I mentioned the gorilla, not because it is the same as a human being, but because it shows that excess weight also occurs in nature, it is not just humans.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:29 PM

I am not talking about BMI...I am talking about body fat percentage. And nature does know that. It just will kill any animal by chance or disease from them being too fat to live. People have a choice. And people don't need to stock up fat like an animal either.

If you take a fat pet dog to an ethical vets they will tell you to reduce or change his food to keep it as healthy as possible.

If they were free to enter info as a subject without control, that study is useless. I would like a link. Who knows if the fitness nut overexercised or used steroids? The point is still made the unhealthy one was the first to go. If you just had the news of your brother almost dying...that could mimic heart stress signs of a heart attack too. So without the results of labwork from the tests the doctor took...he could of just had stress and was sent to the hospital for further testing.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I am not talking about BMI...I am talking about body fat percentage. And nature does know that. It just will kill any animal by chance or disease from them being too fat to live. People have a choice. And people don't need to stock up fat like an animal either.

If you take a fat pet dog to an ethical vets they will tell you to reduce or change his food to keep it as healthy as possible.

If they were free to enter info as a subject without control, that study is useless. I would like a link. Who knows if the fitness nut overexercised or used steroids? The point is still made the unhealthy one was the first to go. If you just had the news of your brother almost dying...that could mimic heart stress signs of a heart attack too. So without the results of labwork from the tests the doctor took...he could of just had stress and was sent to the hospital for further testing.
Even if you talk about body fat instead of BMI, there are no clear ideal values, no clear value beyond which someone is "too fat to live".
Being fat is not good, but, again, that is not the topic of this thread. I can be far from fat or obese, but still not athletic or slim, either. And that is OK. People usually notice themselves when they are too fat to feel comfortable, especially in the summer.

The heart attack in those two brothers were because of genetics, they developed the same problem at exactly the same location.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:57 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
No way at your current weight and shape is 10-20lbs going to kill you.
Maybe not total, but 10-20 here, and 10-20 there, and 10-20 over there, all eventually add up to make you obese, which can kill you.

Quote:
Not everyone can do that. I wish I could eat anything that I want but my body just does not allow it. If I ate anything I wanted I would not lose weight at all. But your situation is different since you are at a weight that you are happy with and I am trying to lose weight. I dont think the comparison is accurate or fair.
Not everyone can do what? PORTION CONTROL?! Everyone can do that, and should. I do eat a large majority of super healthy foods, but I also eat down home country soul food, full of fat, butter, sugar, salt, whole milk, and lard. But I eat SMALL portions, and take an extra 15mins walk with the dogs to counter act the bad food, so I WILL stay at the weight I am happy with.

Quote:
You remind me of a this skinny girl that was in my high school who would always bring a huge soda and snacks every. single. day. And guess what? She was skinny as a twig. Now that I am jealous of, not tree trunk thighs, manly chests, and crazy sports women. Yeah since this nation is obsessed with being a size 2.

How so, since I snack on raw sugar snap peas, or broccoli, or green peppers, and either juice, water, or Red Bull. I have muscular thighs, yeah; but they are not from squats, they are from running barrels (horseback), and wrangling dogs and kids. Not to mention, unless you consider a 32DD a "manly chest", that doesn't work either, lol. And wrong again on the size 2; I wear a size 6.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:02 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Hardly a fact, either; there are too many variables. For one thing, you're equating "not overweight" with "healthy" and we all know that's not necessarily true. About the only thing I couldn't do when I was 140 pounds overweight was wedge myself into small spaces.

I have a friend who weighs probably about 320 pounds. She can raise her legs and put her ankles behind her neck (not while she's standing). At the same time. Can you do that? I sure can't.
Yes it is a fact, medically proven, obese people can NOT do the same things healthy people can. I said NOTHING about "non-overweight"; we were talking healthy. So at 140lbs overweight, you could run marathons? You could talk long walks w/o being tired quickly? You didn't have heart/lung/joint/system/etc... problems?

At 320lbs, good for her, She can't run a marathon, or play with children outside in the summer as long, or physically function as well as healthy people.

And, yes; I can; it's called yoga.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:08 PM

I can tie my shoe without having to expel all my air! Bonus! I can see my toes! I don't have to buy a special 300+ pound scale to take my weight. I don't have to worry about weight requirements on exercise equipment. I don't have to pay gobs of money for decent clothing (all nice plussy stuff is $$$). I don't have to buy two tickets for one on a plane....there is so much you can't do at extreme weights stop being silly. I don't have to take BP meds. hmmmm...

Old 09-01-2011, 04:16 PM

366 posts, read 774,976 times
Default the muscle myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
It drives me crazy when women say muscles make them look like men !! or they refuse to lift heavy weights because they don't want to get to big.

These are ridiculous statements that prevent women from reaching their full fitness potential (and attractiveness).

Why is it so rare to find fit healthy girls with muscles ?
Why do women NOT like being aesthetic and strong ?
Why are women so ANTI- gym ?

Examples of rare gems

Dominika Cibulkova

Rin Nakai

Unknown

unknown

No one thinks any of these women look like men ! Quite the opposite actually...
People who workout/lift weights consistently, and naturally, i.e., without HGH, steroids, or protein mega shakes, do not get the bulky muscle mass that many believe. However, people who do exercise and train hard do get incredibly lean and strong. So,men and women who lift weights without muscle enhancing substances do not, as you say, "get big."

CrossFit Games_Annie Sakamoto, 2011 Spirit of the Games Award Winner - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness