Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 PM

7 posts, read 13,400 times

Advertisements

I am a strict dieter, but I am so tired of my banana, boiled egg, tuna and broccoli diet. I am looking for lean meat and low starch/lowcarb/loa fat veggies that are options besides the tuna and broccoli combo.

Peas/potatoes are too fattening for my interests (and lima beans). I hate carrots. I like broccoli and califlour (not sure how to spell that). I can still stomach lean turkey. I lov e salad but can only eat it with ranch dressing or I become grossed out with it. I dont mind eating bland food, but I am so sick of my options. I am unfortunately not much of a cook, does anyone have any other veggie/lean meat ideas or something equivilant for maximum weight loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 11:23 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,869 times
You can lose weight and not eat bland foods.....I eat a lot of grilled chicken (take the skin off), roast turkey (again, take the skin off) and grilled or baked seafood. Limit items such as oils, butter and other sauces which will increase your caloric intake.

You can have other veggies besides broccoli and cauliflower. There is green beans, zucchini, squash, eggplant, carrots, asparagus, etc..

Ranch dressing has a lot of fat....a serving of ranch dressing has about 20% of the fat you need a day so you might want to ditch the ranch dressing and go for salsa or some other lower calorie/lower fat topping.

How many calories are you eating a day and what type of exercise routine are you doing? I've lost a lot of weight since last year and I did it by counting calories and working out a lot.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:39 AM

324 posts, read 877,254 times
wow...the OP's diet is very unhealthy and lacking so many essential nutrients.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:15 PM

110 posts, read 292,628 times
Walden Farms makes a really good Ranch dressing--- 0 calories.

I add fresh salsa to just about everything. My eggs, chicken, and even tilapia.

Buy a crockpot- put a package of chicken breasts, soak it in chicken stock, and cook it on low for 8 hours. I do that once a week. Tilapia is a quick cook in the oven- you'll know it is done when it flakes easily with a fork. I am not much of a cook either. I read that cauliflower can be put in a food processor and used as rice (there are videos on youtube). I personally didnt like it but then again, I dont like it normally anyways. Oh- you may already know this but if you goal is low carb you are going to have to cut the bananas out. Livestrong dot com is a great resource for nutritional info.

That all being said, dont drop your calories too low or you'll totally screw up your metabolism.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:31 AM

1,123 posts, read 776,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmorning777 View Post
I am a strict dieter, but I am so tired of my banana, boiled egg, tuna and broccoli diet. I am looking for lean meat and low starch/lowcarb/loa fat veggies that are options besides the tuna and broccoli combo.

Peas/potatoes are too fattening for my interests (and lima beans). I hate carrots. I like broccoli and califlour (not sure how to spell that). I can still stomach lean turkey. I lov e salad but can only eat it with ranch dressing or I become grossed out with it. I dont mind eating bland food, but I am so sick of my options. I am unfortunately not much of a cook, does anyone have any other veggie/lean meat ideas or something equivilant for maximum weight loss.
2 words: michi's ladder. Google and download it, lots of choices.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:15 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:

Salmon
tilapia
snapper
trout
etc etc

Turkey
chicken
lamb
cornish game hens
duck breasts

brussels sprouts
string beans
kale
spinach
peas
eggplant
zuccini
squash
swiss chard
cabbage

There are so many things you can be eating...I could spend an hour typing suggestions. I suggest you buy a cookbook. Something general like How to Cook Everything.

And starting tomorrow, make sure you eat 5 colors a day. White, beige, brown etc don't count. Red, purple, orange, yellow, blue, green and so on... that is how you know you are getting nutrients. Right now, your diet sucks.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:41 PM

120 posts, read 313,237 times
Quote:

First off, peas and potatoes are not fattening. It's all the extras you put on them that are.
You don't have to eat bland, boring food. All you have to do is watch your caloric intake, eat moderately and exercise. To lose weight you have to burn off more calories than you take in. To maintain weight, intake and burning off calories must be balanced. To get fat, take in more calories than you burn off. Don't expect 20 years of fat buildup to come off in 2 weeks or 2 months. Be disciplined.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:19 PM

366 posts, read 774,845 times
Quote:

Bison meat, if you can find it, is a super lean, high protein meat that is recommended by even Dr. Oz, and it wouldn't hurt to add sweat potatoes to your diet as well.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:53 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,837 times
cauliflower and mackerel?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:27 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
If you seriously limit carbs to what you get from vegetables and a small amount of fruit and nuts you can probably eat whatever else you want without worrying about it, even the ranch dressing. Cut out artificial sweeteners and liquor and just drink water and unsweetened tea or coffee. I do quite fine losing weight on a high fat diet and am never very hungry except at appropriate meal times. I'm also never bored with my dining options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness