Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:43 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And a third approach -- giving the kicker some concrete suggestions on how to improve his game, and then patting him on the back -- works even better
And it helps if the offensive line gives the kicker the time he needs and the center and the ballholder do their jobs well.

How it's done:

Joe Mansour's 59 yard field goal - YouTube

Who wants Lucy to hold the ball for the 50 yarder?

Charlie Brown, Lucy, and the Football: 50 Years of Funny : Kingdom People

A study of the way physicians counsel patients on losing weight:

When docs counsel weight loss, it's style that makes a difference

"They found that three months after the office visit, patients whose doctors talked about diet and weight loss in a more motivational fashion -- using predominantly reflective or empathic statements -- were much more likely to lose weight, compared to those whose physicians used a more judgmental or confrontational style of communication. Patients whose physicians communicated well lost about 3.5 pounds three months after the visit, which is substantial given most overweight and obese patients gain weight over time, says Pollak".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 12:50 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSPECELP View Post
It IS as easy as eating less and exercising more (unless you suffer from some sort of medical condition). People just lack the WILL to do so.
Exactly. Yet if it was so easy, not as much will would be required, would it?

Losing weight is not easy. It's a hell of a lot of hard work. It takes time and commitment and constant attention. Most of the people who say it's easy have never been there, and will never understand what it takes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
"They found that three months after the office visit, patients whose doctors talked about diet and weight loss in a more motivational fashion -- using predominantly reflective or empathic statements -- were much more likely to lose weight, compared to those whose physicians used a more judgmental or confrontational style of communication.
Just underscoring for all the bullies and belittlers in this thread.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:03 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Alli (orlistat) does work, is FDA approved, and is available over the counter.

Orlistat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It blocks fat absorption, and it can have some nasty side effects if you take it and don't watch the fat intake carefully.

But it's not something you want to take forever and does not address the issue of making permanent dietary changes to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight afterwards.
AKA OTC strength Xenical.

Two words - "oily discharge".

I'd guess this drug would be problematic for IBS sufferers.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:23 PM

355 posts, read 1,115,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Exactly. Yet if it was so easy, not as much will would be required, would it?

Losing weight is not easy. It's a hell of a lot of hard work. It takes time and commitment and constant attention. Most of the people who say it's easy have never been there, and will never understand what it takes.
Agreed. Losing weight is a lengthy process that requires dedication and self-sacrifice (for some, not all mind you - we all have different likes/tastes/cravings re: food). Nonetheless, it is not overly-complex or impossible to do. It does not require hours and hours of heavy lifting at the gym, or miles and miles on the track.

Two relatives of mine went to see their physician prior to beginning a workout regimen (its been some time since they exercised regularly) and he put them on a 1500 calorie diet. They were given meal plans, were instructed NOT to perform any strenous exercise for a 8 week long period (while they were on the diet) and lost 25 and 40 lbs.

Mathematically, the formula is easy. More Exercise + Less Food = Less bodyweight/fat. Sure, I'm oversimplifying. Other variables undoubtedly come into play, but anyone who wants to is capable of doing so (and NO I'm not recommending anyone go on any sort of diet prior to consulting their physician). If they have the heart/will/dedication then yes, it IS easy.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:51 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by come_back_kid View Post
Did you click on the link and see how many scams and useless diet gimmicks there are ? Did you see where the Op stated she was going to try pills because they "seemed" to be working for her friends ?
I see no useful information in your post. Blah, blah, blah, .... blah blah....blah blah blah. That's all you managed to convey.
Honestly, for the life of me I don't see why you bothered to post your drivel. Obviously the mods don't think this post is a waste otherwise it would have been deleted. People come here for real advice and I give it to them. Take your thin skin elsewhere.
I'm trying to get the point across that there are no quick fixes to weight loss. There's no magic pill, lose weight fast scheme, no gimmick for obese people to magically shed years of fat overnight. Quick weight loss is what these scams promise and never deliver. If people knew this why is it a billion dollary industry ?
lol....are you not the OP?? Because It looks like you were, i'm confused

Regardless.....I posted my "drivel" because I feel like your post was demeaning and just plain rediculous. It almost seems like you posted your bit about "no magic pill bla bla...." just to use your "listen up fatties" line and that is so not cool. Sure, maybe I take those names and comments personal but eventhough I have never had a weight problem I have seen the impact that it can have on people and their lives. I was a trainer for 5 years before switching careers and weight is nothing to joke about, it is a very serious issue for many people and posts like yours are truly useless and very vicious.

Moving on....

Old 08-31-2011, 03:23 PM

Barney Google and Snuffy Smith | Free online comics by Comics Kingdom â„¢ - OregonLive.com

Old 08-31-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by come_back_kid View Post
Ok, sorry, my mistake. I was refering to a poster in another thread. She's 18 years old and weighs 270 pounds and talking about going on pills.
If you just want to critcize why don't you critize fat people who want to try and take the easy way out and fall for these scams ? Why don't you criticize the companies that manufacture and sell this garbage ?

As far as fake diet schemes are concerned, the cure is worse than the disease. That's my message. I don't care if your feelings are hurt.
And btw, it's ridiculous with an i, not e. Ever hear of spell check ?
Because criticizing a person's dietary choices is different from criticizing the person herself. Criticizing the person is just cruel and demeaning. You obviously do not like it when another poster criticizes something you say, but none of us have made comments about your poor reading comprehension skills or called what you post drivel.

For what it's worth, it's poor forum etiquette to criticize other folks' spelling or grammar, because we all make mistakes. But since you brought it up, it's

Referring, not refering.

Criticize, not critcize or critize.

And the poster you referred to is 18 years old, has lost 14 pounds in a little over 3 months with diet and exercise, and said she was "thinking about" using diet pills.

Instead of blasting her, why not post about why the pills are not a good idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness