Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,785,571 times

Advertisements

As I type, I would like to get my run time down to a 12 minute time frame to run a mile and a half. I'm currently at or around 13.30 or so.

I have figured out this means I'd need to run every 1/4 mile in 2 minutes. It currently takes me maybe 2:10 to run a 1/4 mile.

If I try and run faster than my usual run, I find I begin to tire easily and I begin to run out of breath.

Mind you I'm 30 years of age 5'9" with a medium build. I see people my age and older running much faster than I can. And it doesn't look like they have to work hard at it either.

Is it possible some people just aren't runners?

How can I improve my run speed w/o running out of steam and out of breath?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 06:20 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
As I type, I would like to get my run time down to a 12 minute time frame to run a mile and a half. I'm currently at or around 13.30 or so.

I have figured out this means I'd need to run every 1/4 mile in 2 minutes. It currently takes me maybe 2:10 to run a 1/4 mile.

If I try and run faster than my usual run, I find I begin to tire easily and I begin to run out of breath.

Mind you I'm 30 years of age 5'9" with a medium build. I see people my age and older running much faster than I can. And it doesn't look like they have to work hard at it either.

Thanks.
Alright old man kidding

There are many things you can do....

- continue to run while timing yourself and build up your endurance.
- Train with resistance....when I trained full time I had clients who's only goals were to increase their running abilities and speed so I would put a belt around their waist, holding the two ends while standing behind them, and make them run while I used my body weight to create resistance against their speed....this is probably the one exercise that I’ve seen the hugest results with.....we are only talking 115ibs of resistance but that's all it takes, it makes a huge difference in speed and conditioning.
- Also very important, make sure your diet is providing you with the correct amounts and types of fuel.....

Old 03-05-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post

There are many things you can do....

- Train with resistance....when I trained full time I had clients who's only goals were to increase their running abilities and speed so I would put a belt around their waist, holding the two ends while standing behind them, and make them run while I used my body weight to create resistance against their speed....this is probably the one exercise that I’ve seen the hugest results with.....we are only talking 115ibs of resistance but that's all it takes, it makes a huge difference in speed and conditioning.
Would running against the wind be of the same thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
- Also very important, make sure your diet is providing you with the correct amounts and types of fuel.....
What kinds of food would provide the correct amounts and types of food? How long before the run should they be eaten?

Old 03-05-2009, 07:26 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times
Quote:
Would running against the wind be of the same thing?

What kinds of food would provide the correct amounts and types of food? How long before the run should they be eaten?
A strong, consistent wind yea I would imagine it may have a similar effect.

As far as diet...runners want to be sure to incorporate carb-rich foods, lean proteins and heart healthy fats....here, check out these sites...

The Runner's Diet at Runner's World.com

A Diet Plan Just For Runner's From Runner's World.com

Hope these help.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:20 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
How long have you been running? It can take a while to slowly build the endurance. I never considered myself a runner when I was younger. Okay, I hated it and wondered why in the world anyone would do that.
I've been running now for about 4 years. I'm 41. I'm not sure what my times were when I first started, but I now average just under a 10 minute mile and I run 5 miles a day. It takes a while to get to that point though. And for some bizarre reason, I run a faster time when I run outside rather than on the treadmill. That seems opposite of what should happen.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,502,450 times
Quote:

Thanks.
You don't have speed because you don't have endurance. Build the endurance and the speed with come. Running (and training for that matter) is a function of duration, frequency, and intensity. In other words, improvement in running comes with running longer, running more, and running harder...but not all at the same time! People are always looking for a shortcut, but there really isn't one.

For the time being, try to get rid of the mentality of running at a specific pace (i.e. your 12 minutes for a mile and a half) and comparing yourself to other runners. Start some consistent and focused run training and you'll see results.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,118,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
You don't have speed because you don't have endurance. Build the endurance and the speed with come. Running (and training for that matter) is a function of duration, frequency, and intensity. In other words, improvement in running comes with running longer, running more, and running harder...but not all at the same time! People are always looking for a shortcut, but there really isn't one.

For the time being, try to get rid of the mentality of running at a specific pace (i.e. your 12 minutes for a mile and a half) and comparing yourself to other runners. Start some consistent and focused run training and you'll see results.

Good luck!
Excellent advice!

If you are just doing the same slog every day, you'll hit a plateau.

I'm curious to know:
a) how long you have been running?
b) the length of your average run.

Quote:
I think so. I've met quite a few cyclists who have a difficult time running. Different muscle groups I suppose.

Also, remember there are different kinds of runners. Sprinters and Marathon runners have very different builds.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:47 AM

Ok, for those who have asked, I have been running for about 4-5 years now. Not consistently running every day though. But now I'm at a point where I'm trying to run at least 2-3 times week.

The length of my average run varies. Lately I've been doing a mile and a half. Sometimes I'll increase it by another half mile for a 2 mile run.

Another question I have is how long before the run should I eat or drink? I try and eat and drink maybe 2-3 hours before hand....is that too soon?

Sometimes when I run I build a lot of gas and it gets uncomfortable trying to burp and breathe at the same time. How can I fix this issue?

Also how can I prevent cramps while running? My legs will cramp up and my sides will also cramp up.

Thanks.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:31 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,502,450 times
Quote:
Ok, for those who have asked, I have been running for about 4-5 years now. Not consistently running every day though. But now I'm at a point where I'm trying to run at least 2-3 times week.

The length of my average run varies. Lately I've been doing a mile and a half. Sometimes I'll increase it by another half mile for a 2 mile run.

Another question I have is how long before the run should I eat or drink? I try and eat and drink maybe 2-3 hours before hand....is that too soon?

Sometimes when I run I build a lot of gas and it gets uncomfortable trying to burp and breathe at the same time. How can I fix this issue?

Also how can I prevent cramps while running? My legs will cramp up and my sides will also cramp up.

Thanks.
From what you described, I will echo plaidmoms comments...you are definitely on the plateau!

Here is the thing...the only way the human body improves at anything is through training. Training is nothing more a systematic method of applying challenges or stressors to the body. The improvement comes from the body adapting to the challenge/stress by getting stronger, faster, building endurance, etc.

You've been doing the same exact thing for 4-5 years now. The body adapted to the challenge you had given it a long time back. You cannot break out of your current physical state because you haven't challenged your body to break out of that state.

Here is what you do. Develop a goal and train for it. For example, say that your goal is to be able to run 5 miles by the beginning of April. To do this, you will gradually increase the distance you run on ONE of your weekly runs. All other runs you do during the week keep it at your regular 1.5-2 miles. So for the next three weeks of March you will run 3, 4, and finally 5 miles in the last week. Make sense?

hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:08 PM

Yes it makes sense. I have been told when it comes to running you should increase your run distance by a quarter mile a week, provide you consistently keep running 3 days a week. That is one thing I am currently working on. But also I feel that I need to eventually increase the speed at which i run too....yay or nay?

I'm just hoping this cold weather will soon diminish so i can run outdoors more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness