Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 05:57 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
You should know and feel the same way about soda. You should be at 2-3 12 ounce cans of soda per MONTH. Not DOWN to 2-3 per day.
Slow and steady wins the race. The OP has made significant progress on soda consumption (Congrats op!) dropping from 9-10 per day to 2 or 3. In a few more weeks, she should be able to drop to 1 a week! Excellent progress.

Making slight changes makes it far easier to adapt to a new lifestyle, instead of making it seem like a temporary fix.

Last edited by jade408; 09-28-2011 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 07:16 PM

438 posts, read 1,731,088 times
Quote:
Wow. How about just not buying sodas? Dont have them in the house and you wont drink them.
I don't plan to have soda in my home after I am able to stop drinking it.

Quote:
You should be at 2-3 12 ounce cans of soda per MONTH. Not DOWN to 2-3 per day.
Well, I kind of thought I was working toward getting there...I have stated my goal is to eliminate it completely.

Quote:
I refuse to accept the argument soda junkies make about it being addictive. That is nonsense.
I don't believe I've said anything about being addicted to soda so your refusal to accept that argument is not an argument to be made with me.

I find it interesting that instead of reinforcing my progress in decreasing from 9-10 cans per day to 2 cans, some would rather point out that I'm horrible to drink the 2 cans. Some may find motivation in that negativity (maybe) but I honestly don't understand pointing out something I've already made progress on and continue to work on???

This thread has provided me with some information and I will gladly make use of that. Thank you to those who have offered information/advice and to those who have recognized the effort I have been trying to put forth. Now I'm off to look up correct form for some exercises I want to add to my workout.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:40 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Soda is not 'ruining my life'. I have a great life with my daughter. Soda will eventually lead to damage to my health though - which is why I'm making changes to what I eat and drink.
Didn't you say you are taking acid reflux medication? I bet once you cut out the soda you'll find that your acid reflux will taper off. Drinking gallons of acid isn't helping your stomach at all.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Didn't you say you are taking acid reflux medication? I bet once you cut out the soda you'll find that your acid reflux will taper off. Drinking gallons of acid isn't helping your stomach at all.
Yes. I started having reflux problems when I went through chemo - and I can guarantee you I wasn't drinking soda then! Although I expect to still have some issues, I'm really hoping (and expecting) it to greatly improve. Actually, even with what I've done it's been much better.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:31 AM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea13 View Post
I don't plan to have soda in my home after I am able to stop drinking it.

Well, I kind of thought I was working toward getting there...I have stated my goal is to eliminate it completely.

I don't believe I've said anything about being addicted to soda so your refusal to accept that argument is not an argument to be made with me.

I find it interesting that instead of reinforcing my progress in decreasing from 9-10 cans per day to 2 cans, some would rather point out that I'm horrible to drink the 2 cans. Some may find motivation in that negativity (maybe) but I honestly don't understand pointing out something I've already made progress on and continue to work on???

This thread has provided me with some information and I will gladly make use of that. Thank you to those who have offered information/advice and to those who have recognized the effort I have been trying to put forth. Now I'm off to look up correct form for some exercises I want to add to my workout.
Just a suggestion. Start now with the no soda in the house. I love ice cream bars. I still eat them though haven't had one in months. But when I just gotta have one I walk 3/4 mi to the convenience store and buy one, just one, then walk home eating it. Do the same. If you have to walk to the store to buy each one, you will find it easier to taper off. Think about it anyways.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:35 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Just a suggestion. Start now with the no soda in the house. I love ice cream bars. I still eat them though haven't had one in months. But when I just gotta have one I walk 3/4 mi to the convenience store and buy one, just one, then walk home eating it. Do the same. If you have to walk to the store to buy each one, you will find it easier to taper off. Think about it anyways.
I like this suggestion. This is what I do with Bass, Newcastle or Sam Adams. I love beer. LOVE IT. I never keep it in the house because I know its not good for me. Still, IMO, I'd rather drink 12oz of beer than 12oz of soda because soda is overall worse. If I feel like I want a beer, I'll have to either walk or drive to the store, and I HATE going to the market.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Just a suggestion. Start now with the no soda in the house.
My dr says it's best to slowly wean off the caffeine and sugar. Even with excedrin and drinking tea to get some caffeine, the headaches are very bad. But that's a great suggestion for when I'd like a treat. We have an ice cream place a little over a mile away.

As I still need to function each day, I have gotten to one soda in the morning and another around 4pm. Today I didn't have the morning soda and my head is hurting enough to be seeing spots. Caved and did half a can to take the edge off.

I'll have the soda thing beat. I have no cravings to actually drink soda at this point. I actually prefer the taste of green tea (unsweetened). I just let the caffeine and sugar fuel me for so long that I need to slowly break my body from thinking it needs it.

Adding more veggies is my big challenge. Veggies are not my favorites. I will eat pretty much any veggie except mushrooms in soup (which is why I've been making vegetable soups quite a bit lately) but otherwise I don't find them appetizing. I eat corn, peas, tomatoes, lettuce, celery and raw carrots but not the 'better' veggies. I am going to try to make myself like or at least get used to broccoli, green beans, green peppers and cauliflower outside of soup. I will never eat mushrooms though. Tomorrow I'm cutting out pasta and white rice.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I actually prefer the taste of green tea (unsweetened). I just let the caffeine and sugar fuel me for so long that I need to slowly break my body from thinking it needs it.
Have you ever tried a matcha green tea? It is basically like drinking the tea leaves. They are ground into a powder then whisked into the water instead of steeped.

Also can you replace the caffeine with maybe a lighter black tea? Or coffee? for less calories?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Have you ever tried a matcha green tea? It is basically like drinking the tea leaves. They are ground into a powder then whisked into the water instead of steeped.

Also can you replace the caffeine with maybe a lighter black tea? Or coffee? for less calories?
haven't tried matcha. I'll look into that. I love oolongs, greens, black. For flavored teas I do lemongrass, spearmint leaves or passionfruit. The only one I haven't been fond of is a chai (not sure what it was specifically) that a friend from India gave me.

Only 1/2 can of soda today! I did a LOT of tea today but I don't sweeten my tea so that's a good thing. I did have a bottle of white raspberry tea at lunch though and I'm sure there was tons of sugar in that. I love the smell of coffee but don't like the taste. Head is starting to throb again but I'm thinking I'll see if I can sleep through it.

Oh! I ate spinach leaves, arugula and romaine in my salad tonight. Also, some reddish purple leaf lettuce (not sure what it's called but it wasn't purple cabbage. It was a lettuce). It was very good. Bye-bye iceberg lettuce

Old 09-29-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
haven't tried matcha. I'll look into that. I love oolongs, greens, black. For flavored teas I do lemongrass, spearmint leaves or passionfruit. The only one I haven't been fond of is a chai (not sure what it was specifically) that a friend from India gave me.
Chai is typically a medium black tea with lots of spices (and milk) cinnamon, cloves, cardamon, and black pepper are typical spices in chai. I'd guess you didn't like one of those flavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness