Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:58 PM

616 posts, read 854,348 times

Advertisements

I drink water like a fish while working out but I always hit that ceiling where the lactic acid build up is too much to take. without taking supplements like creatine, etc...how can I breatkhrough that ceiling so I can extend my workouts?

any ideas are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 03:24 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,225 times
Spinach is my savior!

How Does Spinach Help Build Muscles? | eHow.com

It's Not About the Lactic Acid: Why You're Still Sore After Yesterday's Ride | Active.com

I eat at least two cups or more as a salad or put it in a green smoothie with some raspberries and maybe some apple juice for sweetness. Stevia if I am watching my sugar or calories.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:04 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
I drink water like a fish while working out but I always hit that ceiling where the lactic acid build up is too much to take. without taking supplements like creatine, etc...how can I breatkhrough that ceiling so I can extend my workouts?

The idea of lactic acid Being about muscle soreness after exercise is actually a misconception. The medical world believes as well as I do that your muscles receive small microscopic damage to muscle fibers...ever hear the term Ripped? Anyhow, for the most part this isn't anything serious and heals quickly. My best advice is drinking a quality protein shake or chocolate milk after working out along with taking a Multi vitamin. The idea is to give the ripped muscle protein building blocks to grow on...but it also helps it to heal faster. There is also certain vitamins that help with joints and can be found at GNC. I used to take an assortment when I lifted weights and it helped a lot.

As for creatine, your body produces creatine which has to do with energy but the supply in the body is only enough for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes you start running low on energy and slowing down. Taking creatine 30-60 minutes before a work out can help boost your work out energy. I use it a lot before Martial Arts class which is right before lunch. When I first started taking the class I would just about drop when it was over. This all changed when I started taking creatine 30-45 minutes prior to class. I had more than enough energy for class! One thing, you need to cycle on and off of creatine every 4-6wks. The reason is your body could get used to it and stop naturally producing it. FYI: you can also get creatine from Steaks.

Also, ripped muscle tissue means your immune system is busy. So don't cool off to quickly after working out. I used to race out the door after working out during the Fall/Winter months because it was cool. Needless to say I ended up with the flu a couple times before I understood what was happening. So I started carrying a light work out jacket and pants in my gym bag for when I was ready to leave.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:26 AM

616 posts, read 854,348 times
spinach? wow. Popeye was on to something afterall huh? I'll try it. thanks.

and I can't do any milk products so the chocolate milk is definitely not an option.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:57 AM

677 posts, read 1,538,413 times
Baking soda works for me.

Baking Soda For Sore Muscles | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 09-20-2011, 09:09 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,225 times
Quote:
spinach? wow. Popeye was on to something afterall huh? I'll try it. thanks.

and I can't do any milk products so the chocolate milk is definitely not an option.
Hope it works well for you too. I am a little over 100 lbs so if you are closer to the 200 mark you may want to eat more to take care of your mass if the two cups don't do it for you. More veggies is never a bad thing anyway!

Old 09-20-2011, 12:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:

What does water intake during exercise have to do with lactic acid build up? I am not aware of any science that relates these two.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:34 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
What does water intake during exercise have to do with lactic acid build up? I am not aware of any science that relates these two.
Lactic acid is Miscible with water?

Anyhow,

"Contrary to popular belief, this increased concentration of lactate does not directly cause acidosis, nor is it responsible for delayed onset muscle soreness.[9] This is because lactate itself is not capable of releasing a proton,[9] and, second, the acidic form of lactate, lactic acid, "is not produced in muscle".[10] Analysis of the glycolytic pathway in humans indicates that there are not enough hydrogen ions present in the glycolytic intermediates to produce lactic or any other acid."

Lactic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-21-2011, 12:53 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
So water intake has no effect on lactic acid production during exercise...

Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 PM

460 posts, read 1,139,997 times
baking soda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness