Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 10:26 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,712 times

Advertisements

by walking, while it seems to have no effect at all on other people? Even when they eat pretty much the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:59 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,068 times
Because bodies are built differently, people have different metabolisms, different diets, etc. You seriously couldn't figure that one out on your own?

Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,371,712 times
I've always wondered why some questions are answered so rudely on here. Why bother answering at all? I think they want to try to look smart, but, it doesn't work, they just look rude . I know too many people who have fast metabolisms and don't lose weight by walking and people with slow metabolisms that do. Of course I know people who are the opposite too.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:32 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,708,910 times
It doesn't take too many more calories to have 10 extra pounds. Just 100/day for the year. Thats just a slice of dry toast. Not exactly indulgent. When you look toned from walking its a leaner body which can be bigger or willowy depending on body type. Those extra 10 pounds or so on a frame can make the difference from looking average or cut depending on how much fat % it is.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:09 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,536,423 times
Genetics, diet (could be small differences you don't see, that add up...not just calories but quality of foods and/or alcohol consumption), age and probably other activity throughout the day that adds up but is not technically "exercising" (running after little kids, taking the stairs at work, walking the dog, etc.). To be honest, if you want to blow away people who are using walking as their primary means for exercise, you need to up the intensity and try things like sprinting, tempo workouts on bike/elliptical/stairmaster, plyometrics and weights. While walking is a valid form of exercise (and great for people with joint issues, the elderly or who are pregnant) it is extremely inefficient. You would have to walk for 2 hours to accomplish what you would in 30 minutes of hill sprints and even then you would probably burn more muscle and less fat than the sprint workout.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:59 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
by walking, while it seems to have no effect at all on other people? Even when they eat pretty much the same thing?
It might depend on the walking. Sauntering around the block of an evening is not the same as walking 3 or 4 miles at 4 miles an hour six days a week.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:29 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Walking doesn't put much of a load on your body. If you walk a mile you may have burned off about 1/4 of that piece of toast Opsimanthia mentioned. For walking to have an effect it has to be habitual and frequent. Just taking a long walk once or twice a month (or even once or twice a week) has about as much impact on your caloric bottom line as eating a fistful of peanuts with the same frequency. If you're walking a mile every day, however, you're making it much easier to healthily lose weight without making drastic and uncomfortable changes in your diet.

I think your question really raises another question: what are those people who are losing weight and toning up just by walking doing differently from you?

The answer is probably not "nothing". The answer could be some kind of cheating (stimulants, diuretics, etc. etc.) but it's probably as simple as portion control.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:36 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times
Genetics plays a huge part. I have friends that literally eat whatever they want and barely exercise. I exercise a lot and don't lose weight (diet has a lot to do with it). However, years ago I could eat whatever I wanted and was toned and fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness