Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 05:06 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,416,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
This is not entirely true, think of all the oil fried food like potatoe chips, french fries etc. but yes if sugar as an addative was banned the health picture would look very different.

But like people say "we can make our own choices" so i guess they should, and suffer for it too, it is after all their choice.
People don't really choose, they eat what is there in front of them. Like you said, most people don't know much of anything about healthy food. If people did have an idea of what they were actually eating they would probably throw up on the spot in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,511,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
People don't really choose, they eat what is there in front of them.
im pretty sure the vast majority of people choose. they also generally know when something they are eating isnt healthy.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:23 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,828,399 times
Quote:
Like you said, most people don't know much of anything about healthy food.
There's such a huge misconception out there that people need an intimate knowledge of advanced nutrition concepts to be able to eat healthy. Sure, not a lot of people know much about the finer details of building a solid nutrition plan, but I would bet a lot of money that if you presented someone with a cheeseburger and a plate of steamed asparagus that very few people wouldn't honestly believe the cheeseburger is healthier. Whether or not they choose to eat the veggies is another issue altogether. Their choices are their own.

People are stupid in a lot of ways, but just about everyone has the tools to be able to eat to maintain a healthy weight. People don't hit the 300 lb mark when they are trying to eat healthy but just "don't know how". Baloney.

Mmmmmm . . . baloney . . .

Old 11-09-2011, 05:25 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,416,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
There's such a huge misconception out there that people need an intimate knowledge of advanced nutrition concepts to be able to eat healthy. Sure, not a lot of people know much about the finer details of building a solid nutrition plan, but I would bet a lot of money that if you presented someone with a cheeseburger and a plate of steamed asparagus that very few people wouldn't honestly believe the cheeseburger is healthier. Whether or not they choose to eat the veggies is another issue altogether. Their choices are their own.

People are stupid in a lot of ways, but just about everyone has the tools to be able to eat to maintain a healthy weight. People don't hit the 300 lb mark when they are trying to eat healthy but just "don't know how". Baloney.

Mmmmmm . . . baloney . . .
I'm not talking about the difference between a cheeseburger and vegetables.

Pretty much everything that comes in a package is loaded with preservatives, corn syrup, or chemicals, something which most people are ignorant of, or at least do not allow themselves to think about. Americans and people eating Western Diets are about the only groups in the world to suffer from things like diabetes and other diet related diseases. That's because people eat what looks appealing from the supermarket or whatever (which is what I meant by not really "choosing" what they eat, just eating what is there available to them at the store.) Most of those things are loaded with products that, when eaten over a lifetime, can contribute to obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, etc. That's why so many people have those diseases, even if they think they know what is healthy they don't understand the implications of eating processed, unnatural foods.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:35 AM

29,651 posts, read 34,150,999 times
Quote:
Most of those things are loaded with products that, when eaten over a lifetime, can contribute to obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, etc. That's why so many people have those diseases, even if they think they know what is healthy they don't understand the implications of eating processed, unnatural foods.
But at the same time, someone can make fried chicken and mashed potatoes from scratch, using free range chicken and other fresh locally-sourced ingredients, and that's not going to be any healthier in the long run than eating a processed Healthy Choice frozen dinner.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,511,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But at the same time, someone can make fried chicken and mashed potatoes from scratch, using free range chicken and other fresh locally-sourced ingredients, and that's not going to be any healthier in the long run than eating a processed Healthy Choice frozen dinner.
because the preservatives, corn syrup, "chemicals," processing, etc. isnt what makes food or people unhealthy. its the fact that they eat too much food.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:45 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,571,660 times
Quote:
People don't really choose, they eat what is there in front of them. Like you said, most people don't know much of anything about healthy food. If people did have an idea of what they were actually eating they would probably throw up on the spot in most cases.
Adults choose. What angers me is when I see obese kids because I know that 999 times out of a thousand they're having their young screwed up because of their parents, and there is very little they can do when they're old enough to realize this sometime around their high-school age.

Food, whether processed or not does not just magically appear on a plate for free. Adults get what they pay for. if they buy food at mcdonalds they'll get mcdonalds food. if they go to the grocerie store, and buy themselves some
*icebergsalad,
*cherry-tomatoes,
*1 kg of grinded meat,
*couple of carrots,
*some onions,
*couple of dl crushed tomatoes,
*a little bit of parsley,
*blackpepper,
*1 bit of garlic,
*1 kg spaghetti and a
*can of salt
they're set for a good family dinner that takes around 30 minutes to cook. Also if they tripple the ingredients for the meatsauce and have some more veggies laying around they can microwave the meatsauce in portions the next time and have a full meal done in 8 minutes (the time to cook another set of spaghetti)
Cheap, time efficient, healthy, simple.

So tell me what's so hard for an adult to pull this off?

People chose their health. I used to think that american authorities should grab hold of this issue, but I've changed opinion about that. People all complain "they don't have time" "real food costs too much".

So in this type of philosophy most americans would have shorter days than most swedes and less money than most greeks? Something does not add up here, even if considering purchasing power parity of the dollar in the US, SEK in sweden and euro in greece.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 AM
Status: "Hate is too easy, Love takes courage." (set 11 days ago)

1,970 posts, read 3,304,509 times
Quote:
You can control the amount of fats, salt, sugar, etc. - so you can make a healthier version of it.

It also wont be loaded with chemicals or preservatives, which can contribute to diseases, including cancers.

Any chemicals i can avoid thru my foods and drinks, digestion, and thus the rest of my body - i will.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:31 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,625,859 times
Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree with you. But you do burn more calories cooking a meal from scratch and cleaning up afterward than if you heat up a Healthy Choice frozen dinner. And if you've grown any of the veggies yourself, you've burned a lot of calories over time.

I don't think it makes that big of a difference, but it is a difference that adds up. I make a homemade lasagna that I call "5 Hour Lasagna" because that is literally how long it takes. If I make a salad and bread to go with it, I don't sit down the whole time I'm cooking. That's clearly more of a calorie burner than heating up a Stouffer's. (If anyone wants the recipe, I'll send it or post it. The first bite will make you pause and look around at your dining companions in disbelief. It's that good.)

Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,255,684 times
Quote:
Why not?

Healthy Mashed Potatoes

and

Not So Fried Chicken

You just have to be willing to substitute.

Last edited by mochamajesty; 11-16-2011 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness